Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have an embarrassing quilting moment? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-embarrassing-quilting-moment-t54834.html)

momski 07-21-2010 07:22 AM

Ouch! Well I hope she got her wine and someone more deserving got your quilt.

However, I must say... I have had a foot in mouth moment over someone's quilt. Please don't throw anything at me :O

I was at a local quilt guild's (not mine) annual quilt show and my friend and I were discussing a particular quilt that had some issues (to say the least). The blocks were horribly stretched, borders uneven, quilting was kinda rough looking, and quilt edges were wavy. I said to my friend, "it is a good try for a beginner." The person who made it was standing behind me... she was a lifetime quilter who had suffered a stroke and was learning to quilt using her non-dominate hand. OOPS! The lady took it in stride and laughed a bit but I felt horrible.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-21-2010 07:31 AM

Awww, you didn't mean anything by it. She sure had a good attitude. We've all done that at one time or another :)

patsyo56721 07-22-2010 01:41 PM

Some people just don't appreciate good work.

Steffi 07-22-2010 02:05 PM

When I first showed my quilts to my SIL she said to me: "please do me a favor and never give me a quilt as a present". Her boyfriend is the same, he even does not want to sit in our living room because there a quilt hangs on the wall and he doesnīt want to look at it. They definitively would choose the bottle of wine too.
But they have this kind of white-black-silver interior in their apartment where I could never feel at home.
So itīs ok for me, they will never get anything handmade from me! I know that my part of the family likes it, and so I keep my handmade things for my sister and parents.

I once made a quilt as a wedding gift for a good friend of mine who also sews and paints, so I thought she would like it, but I only received a very lukewarm "Thanks". :?

lab fairy 07-22-2010 04:07 PM

I guess it would depend on the bottle of wine. Have you seen what some of those things go for? Some vintages are collectable (make that double for me since I don't drink alcohol :) ). Maybe she needed to fill a hole in her collection.

I keep hoping to get a couple of missing state quarters...

mayday 07-23-2010 08:43 AM

the woman was stupid, there are lots about.

BlueChicken 07-23-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mayday
the woman was stupid, there are lots about.

Do you know her do you? Do you know what's going on in her life? Do you know what kind of day she'd had? What kind of year? Are you really prepared to judge her on what one person briefly overheard and then passed on? To judge her on part of a tiny conversation? What if she'd had the day from hell, just lost her husband, cat, dog, kids, house, and job. What if sitting down for a quiet glass of wine was all she could think of at that point?

I've watched this topic quietly, and tried to steer it in the right direction, but now I'm getting fed up.

Some of you need to learn to think before you judge so harshly. You're too quick and too eager to pass negative judgements, and extremely harsh judgements on somebody you know NOTHING about. Would your lives stand up to such scrutiny? Is everything you've ever said nice or have you been guilty of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time?

Lady Shivesa 07-23-2010 01:05 PM

I too am wondering if she was just kidding. I frequently joke around with my husband with things like that. For instance, I don't drink so I could conceivably see myself looking over at my husband and saying, "heh, I hope I win second prize."

jdavis 07-24-2010 11:07 AM

I have two things to say about that, but someone else probably already said the same....
First, as long as a decent amount of money was raised for the cause, who cares what she thinks?
Second, Nobody forced her to buy a ticket!