Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a fabric "regret"? I do.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-fabric-regret-i-do-t194283.html)

Friday1961 07-11-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5356049)
I regret that when my father passed away at age 83 that I didn't keep his ties. It was my idea to have each pall bearer wear one of dad's ties to the service. My dad had a big tie collection since he wore one every day of his working life. He kept them even during his retirement years. The one my husband chose to wear was my favorite and looks like a stained glass window. I DO have that one. But a few months later it hit me that I should have kept his ties!! Mom had already donated them to Good Will before I realized I wanted them. Afterwards I came across and bought an old quilting book on the subject of using ties to make some nice quilted items .

That is my "fabric" regret.

Do you have one?

Not a fabric regret but I regret getting rid of my father's boots. He had several pair of really nice (western or cowboy) boots and I wish I'd kept at least a pair or two to just display in my house.

QuiltnLady1 07-11-2012 05:39 PM

When my quilting Grandma went to a nursing home, she had 10 unfinished quilt tops. My Aunt asked Mom if either she or I would want any of them (I was in college) and she said no. When I found out and asked about them, she said she took them to the dump.

cmg625 07-11-2012 06:16 PM

I was just thinking the other day that I wished I had asked for my father's ties. I would have liked to make a purse using them. I used to buy my dad a tie every Christmas and he would wear it to church and boast that his daughter sent it to him.

pinecone 07-11-2012 08:46 PM

I wish I had my grandmother's hankies. She kept them in every pocket and some had embroidery. I didn't quilt when she passed. Another note, I have the ties that a retired school principal was going to toss. All hand washed, opened up and pressed. Just waiting.....

piney

Swan Song 07-11-2012 09:21 PM

I also wish I had my Grandmother's hankies, dollies and pillowcases she crocheted the edges of. I was in bed with a complicated pregnancy 1000 miles away when she passed and Mom and my Aunt had gotten rid of all of those things before I was up and around again.

dottiequilts 07-12-2012 03:27 AM

I was only 12 when my Grandma died, but took the boxes of worn out quilts that no one else wanted. I kept them and then years later went thru them and found enough selvagable parts to make all her grandchildren (24) a teddy bear. Mine sits on the bed in my sewing room and Grandma and I quilt together almost every day.

In the woods 07-12-2012 04:35 AM

When I was a new mother I got a sewing machine and began making clothes for my children. I kept all the scraps thinking someday I would take up quilting and use them to make a quilt. Over the years I moved around, went back to school for a degree, then went to work. All the while I was moving boxes of fabric with me. I tried cutting some squares with a cardboard template and scissors (before the days of rotary cutters and plastic rulers). Ugh! - boxed them up and put them away. Then one day I decided I was never going to get at the project and gave all the boxes to a nursing home where the ladies did quilting.

While I know they went to a good cause, I often think about those fabrics and wish I had hung on to them a little longer, because now I am "a quilter".

DJinSC 07-12-2012 05:48 AM

I wish that I had had the quilting bug when my grandmother was alive. She was a quilter and I wonder what I could have learned from her. I have a doll quilt and a twin bed quilt that she made for me that I treasure. When my father passed away, I took two pair of his jeans to make rag quilts with. I've done one alternating flannel squares with the denim and it's enough for a throw. I treasure that quilt, too, and it's the one I grab when I need to snuggle. I made sure to fussy cut the pockets and the leather tag with the size -- W 40, L 29. I guess in reality he wasn't tall, but he sure seemed tall to me. I'll do the other pair with homespun.

ShirlinAZ 07-12-2012 05:49 AM

I regret giving away stacks of beautiful T-shirts that I "out grew". They had beautiful designs done for each wildfire I worked on before I retired. They would make a fantastic t-shirt quilt, but I didn't know about t-shirt quilts at the time.

Latrinka 07-12-2012 06:00 AM

Yes, my DH passed away last August, and I wish I would have kept several of his shirts to make a quilt with. I think I was in shock, and I was rushed to clean out and make room because I wouldn't have been able to afford where I live by myself. So, I had to move my sewing room into my bedroom. Now have my mother and my brother living with me.