Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a fabric "regret"? I do.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-fabric-regret-i-do-t194283.html)

Lara122 07-13-2012 06:02 AM

I am with Jane -- this thread is sad =/

{{Ladies}}

Roberta 07-13-2012 07:02 AM

My grandmother gave me some lovely material that her mom gave her. My grandmother was 84 when she died so the piece of material was very old. I treasured it and thought one day I would make use of it but in the meantime, I stored it in a hope chest. Then in July, about 9 years ago now. lightening struck the house and it burned taking not only the material but the hope chest made by my beloved grandfather.

Karen G 07-13-2012 07:19 AM

I had a hand pieced quilt top and some hand croched lace that my great grandmother had made. It was the early 1970s when long granny dresses were popular. I cut up the top made a dress and sewed the lace onto the sleeves. I loved the dress and wore it often. Since it was hand pieced, it came apart where I had cut through DGGMs stitching. I had to stitch it back together each time I washed it. My regret is that I don't have a picture of myself wearing it!

nstitches4u 07-13-2012 08:29 AM

Let's be thankful for what we have and get back to quilting. No regrets. Life is to short!

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 07-13-2012 12:16 PM

My regret is that I did not get my dad's flannel shirts. I would have loved to have made a flannel rag quilt or some sort of memory quilt out of them. My sister went in and gave them all away even though I had told her not to do that until I could get what I wanted.....she did it out of spite, but that's another story. I had managed to get my hands on two of them that she had overlooked, but that is all. My DH and I had given my dad many flannel shirts over the years and he loved them and always wore them.

NanaCsews2 07-13-2012 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5356461)
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I regret buying so much fabric, because now there's no room for more.

This was my regret too, except my reasoning is because when am I ever going to use every square inch of it up myself? Can't figure out who to put in writing that deserves to inherit my overly large stash.

I did get my moms sweatshirts and flannel pjs. Thrilled about that!

baglady65 07-13-2012 05:39 PM

I wish I had just a part of a quilt my Grandma B made me when I was 5, I remember it very well I think I wore it out. it was a Dresdin plate with lots of different fabrics with yellow background.

Sierra 07-13-2012 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5359084)
And I'm right there with you, too. Only a lot of my fabric I have now I don't care for. I've had it around for years and I've looked at it for so long, I don't like it any more. I have fabric lines, but they are dated (to me) and I like the newer, brighter and cheerier fabric now. For now on, I am only going to buy fabric I am going to use right away.

The fabrics you no longer like are the ones you should match up the best you can and make quilts for the people who desparely need them. If that is something you simply don't want to do then give that fabric to groups that do this. In the little of Sonora, CA (in the Sierra Nevada foothills) there is a place to which people donate unwanted fabric and can donate their time, to make quilts for children in crisis. Probably there are a lot of these types of places if one knows how to find them (I'm electronically challenged, but I make quilts for areas in crisis, and there are so many of these right now!

Spuddy 07-14-2012 11:56 AM

My daughter-in-law made me a beautiful beautiful vest made from neckties she had purchased from thrift shops. It is a favorite of mine,

pokeyscorner 07-14-2012 12:32 PM

My only regret is I haven't sewed enough. There's so much beautiful fabric out there now & I've run out of room. You know what they say: "She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough.