Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a nice sewing table? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-nice-sewing-table-t122694.html)

bisbetica 05-13-2011 03:48 AM

I have a SewEZ table and I love it! It makes my machine just the right height. I can fold it up and take it with me or put it away when I need too. It wasn't cheap, but it was sooooo worth it! I have 2 plexiglass inserts for it now for 2 different machines. Love it!

Izaquilter 05-13-2011 03:59 AM

I have the 'custom made" look also! Bought a counter top from a local over stock dealer, put it on 4 cabinets, put a permanent bottom on it (I didn't need the hydraulic lift because I'd never put my machine away anyway!) & painted it white....

mpspeedy 05-13-2011 03:59 AM

I have a 24" by 48" table from Staples that has legs that fold up so you can collapse it and store it. My husband the "machinist" was kind enough to cut the legs down so that it is 27" high . This makes my sewing machine bed just the right angle for my arms. I have a slide on clear extension on my sewing machine which I love. I actually broke the original at a retreat. Again my "machinist" husband came to the rescue by replacing the broken top with a sheet of plexglass. I like the clear top as it allows me to store things under it but they are visible. I also use a tilt table that I got from Nancy's Notions. My sewing setup is as ergonomic as I can make it. It does allow me to sew much longer and less painfully as I have major muscle issues.

dmyers 05-13-2011 04:24 AM

I have a Koala table I bought 10 yrs ago, they don't make it anymore. It has a lift for the sewing machine to sit flush and adjusts for either my Pfaff or my Bernina. It's held up well with one move and still looks brand new. It's very heavy and sturdy. Just recently I looked to buy another small one, but I don't remember the cost being so high.

jrhboxers 05-13-2011 06:02 AM

I have one major problem with the portable tables like the Samsonite. If I am using my non-vintage metal machine - like my 1990's Singer - the whole table bounces when I sew anything longer than a couple of inches. I do not have this problem with any of my old girls.

We had a new thrift shop open in our area. When I checked it out they had an older sewing 'table' available. This one did not have the lid that open to expose the machine. The left side had a cut out to fit around the base of a machine. And when you lifted it, it came up and met the machine. It was really cool. And they only wanted $25 for it. Since I only have one machine that would fit, I just let it go.

My original someday list contained a 301 and a treadle to go along with my Featherweights. I am getting ready to send my Red Eye to Billy to be redone. And I was able to recently purchase a beautiful 301. On my list now is one of the Featherweight tables. Then I could die a happy girl. :lol:

bebe 05-13-2011 06:17 AM

you can buy an extension table and much cheaper that a flushed table
i have a clear hard plastic one on my bernina and gives me some extended room to sew on.

babyfireo4 05-13-2011 06:17 AM

Set mine right on the kitchen table and move it for meals. (Usually my guys just opt for eating on the couch lol

Cindy2201 05-13-2011 06:24 AM

I bought an old door for $8.00 and put folding legs on it. Then i put several pieces of insulation together to raise the height of the table and cut it out to fit my machine (if that makes any sense). It gives me a really large surface for quilting or sewing!

SueDid 05-13-2011 06:26 AM

Our main level is "L" shaped, kitchen at one end, living room at the other with the dining room connecting them.

For years now, the living room has been my sewing area,though we use it for an extra eating area when we have company.

My husband build shelves on the wall for my stuff and we bought an antique oak table for me to work on. Just recently, we swapped out the tables, so the oak one is in the dining room and I have the former dining room table, also oak, but with a formica top. It has two leaves that I can add when I need more space.

When I need a LOT of space, I clear off both tables and use them both!

MIJul 05-13-2011 06:26 AM

My sewing table is my grandmother's old formica top kitchen table, you know, the one with the curved sliver legs? Circa 1950's or thereabouts? Works for me even though I drool over the custom sewing tables I see in catalogs and on the internet.