Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you know a non-busy quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-know-non-busy-quilt-t253155.html)

Nanny's dollface 09-07-2014 08:02 AM

I would definitely ask her what busy means and have her look at different quilt pictures. If you don't have Pinterest then google quilt images. I would also ask her what colors and what she prefers for quilting: stitch in the ditch versus meandering. Busy may not necessarily mean the pattern ! If could mean the colors or the quilting. This is why it's so important to ask first for clarification. Disappointment and hurt feelings can be averted this way.

loisf 09-07-2014 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to chuckle when I read your post. Your daughter sounds exactly like my daughter. My daughter is 48 and she really wanted a quilt from her mom, but she didn't like the "busyness" of most quilts. She's a very hip, young 48. So I had her look through the books I had of modern quilts and she choose Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr's "Blowing in the Wind." Then she choose all the fabrics. She and her husband love the quilt, and I was so happy to make it for them. [ATTACH=CONFIG]490657[/ATTACH]

sahm4605 09-07-2014 08:17 AM

Many who look at quilts and call them busy are more referring to the fabrics used. Have her look at patterns in different prints. Then go to fabric choices. Most young people like geometric or simple Batiks to the floral type prints. But that's just me.

Milli 09-07-2014 08:28 AM

How about tone on tone with just simple pattern.

joe'smom 09-07-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by loisf (Post 6878291)
I had to chuckle when I read your post. Your daughter sounds exactly like my daughter. My daughter is 48 and she really wanted a quilt from her mom, but she didn't like the "busyness" of most quilts. She's a very hip, young 48. So I had her look through the books I had of modern quilts and she choose Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr's "Blowing in the Wind." Then she choose all the fabrics. She and her husband love the quilt, and I was so happy to make it for them.

That's a lovely quilt! Is that pattern in one of their books?

I agree that it would be helpful if your daughter could look at some quilts to help define what she considers 'busy'. I would guess solids and a modern pattern as opposed to a traditional quilt with small pieces and lots of fabrics. It's so helpful to know peoples' taste! Much better than having no input and making a quilt someone doesn't like.

FayZ 09-07-2014 11:10 AM

Tink's Mom, She has a black on one side grey on flip side comforter..I thought about something for her family room. It is tan and beige with some green tossed in. She spends most of her time in there.I made her a two tone green afghan years ago and she loves to wrap up in it.Thank you for jogging my memory.I had forgot about the afghan.

FayZ 09-07-2014 11:16 AM

Nanny's dollface your flying geese quilt is so pretty I would love that for me. "loisf" I think you hit the nail on the head. Your quilt makes me think of her. Thank you "all" for your help.

Boston1954 09-07-2014 11:27 AM

It's my feeling that any quilt can be non-busy if blenders are used with the prints. They calm it down as I like to say.

luvstoquilt301 09-07-2014 12:52 PM

Young people often love Pottery Barn Quilts Get her to look on that website.

Maureen NJ 09-07-2014 03:18 PM

How about Day and Night in batiks 2 colors. They turn out nice.