Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you know....... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-know-t271052.html)

rj.neihart 10-15-2015 03:13 AM

I used to make all quilt tops by hand piecing. Sigh. As one ages, the eyesight and hands seem to be too much of a challenge to keep this going. Now I make all quilt tops by machine, and hand quilt. I feel privileged to have the ability to still make quilts.

Viquilt 10-15-2015 03:37 AM

I do all mine by hand to the bitter end. It is so relaxing. Love it. Vi

nancyw 10-15-2015 04:29 AM

When I was in England I took a class in quilt making. We cut out templates by hand, traced them onto fabric , cut hem out by hand and sewed them together by hand.

crb45 10-15-2015 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by jackiemc (Post 7344771)
Does anyone know of anyone nowadays who makes a quilt by hand-from sewing the patches together by hand to finishing off with the binding.

I like to always keep some hand work going, so I keep a stack of white 10" quilt sandwiches onwhich I have drawn different quilting designs(using washable markers). These I hand quilt.After completing enough for a quilt, I join them by machine using the quilt-as-you-go method. Sometimes I apply a border in the same manner, sometimes I just bind it. It takes about a year of leisure time, as I also have other machine quilts going at the same time.

Retired Quilter 10-15-2015 05:38 AM

Retired Quilter

I machine piece most quilts but, love to hand quilt. It is very rela
xing. I am so proud when it done.

banwell 10-15-2015 06:00 AM

The ladies on the island off the coast of Georgia ( or some other state in the South) make a lot of quilts by hand and have quilt shows and exhibits yearly--they are wonderful--

AZ Jane 10-15-2015 06:48 AM

Most hexie quilts are made by hand, there is a Facebook group for hexies and a "Celebrate hand quilting" group also. Try it, see if it is your cup of tea.

tessagin 10-15-2015 06:56 AM

She has a lot of tutes for hand quilting and piecing. I am amazed at how many stitches that woman gets to an inch. I find her fascinating. Good luck. If all your pieces are cut you can make this a take along project, like yo yos and hexies.

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 7344823)
Have a wander through Jinny Beyer's world. www.jinnybeyer.com

greaterexp 10-15-2015 07:42 AM

My first quilt was done completely by hand, but I admit I machine piece now before hand quilting. We have a little group at our church who will be machine piecing, but we will be hand quilting on a floor frame. You might find a group who do at least hand quilting, if not hand piecing. Have fun with the slow process!

gerideboer 10-15-2015 08:37 AM

Jenny Beyer has a quilt kit and a class at I believe Craftsy. Her class is really good. They havew lots of sales on their classes. My sis is doing ti and I have the kit and class purchased. I hope to start after Christmas. You can take the classes whenever it fits your schedule.