Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you like to make quilts? (in the spirit of psychology rather than actual making) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-make-quilts-spirit-psychology-rather-than-actual-making-t299871.html)

tallchick 09-30-2018 07:48 AM

I can’t sit and do nothing, I have to have something to keep busy and cooking and baking are not good for my hips, yet they are things I’m very good at. While seeking a hobby I came across quilting and as the years have gone by I’ve gotten better at it and have acquired the tools to make it more enjoyable.
I do have times where I’m not motivated and can’t get in the groove, and it’s usually when something is stressing me out. I have been getting better at letting things go, and not allowing things to steal my sunhsine, but it does require effort. I just started to try my hand at yard work, landscaping and gardening and I must say that it does keep me active and is a great way to ensure a good nights sleep. At the end of the day I’m far too exhausted to think of anything but a hot shower and bed. At the end of the day it’s just me and my cats, I have no one that requires my time or emotions and I have long ago weeded out those that are draining, it was the best thing ever. I’m quite content to stay at home and quilt or do yard work, I don’t have cable TV, and if one of my jobs didn’t require my physical presence I would be hard pressed to leave home but a few times a month. We are all unique in what we need and want in life and it evolves as we do, as long as you’re happy that’s all that matters.

janjanq 09-30-2018 08:48 AM

When I'm in my sewing room I feel the happiest. Since I retired 3 years ago if a day or two goes by that I haven't done any sewing I feel like I've been deprived. I find myself looking for an excuse to make something for someone and then when I give it to them i feel like it's more for me than it is for them.

bjgallent 09-30-2018 10:30 AM

Do what you enjoy most. Quilting can be quilts, bags, placemats, table runners etc.

crafty pat 09-30-2018 11:07 AM

I love creating beautiful things and quilting has come down in my family so I have a early love for beautiful quilts. When I was in the early years of my life I would see a beautiful quilt and ask my DM to make it for me. When I was older she ask me why if I loved making clothing so much I did not try quilting. I did and have loved doing it all these years and hope I can keep on a few more.

rosiewell 09-30-2018 11:41 AM

I love hand work, I have been embroidering, knitting, tatting or crocheting since I was 5 years old, taught by my great grandma, grandmother, mother and an assortment of aunts. It is a tradition, it's also peace of mind, time to reflect and reminisce or to listen to books while my hands keep busy and yes, I love the end results.

rusty quilter 09-30-2018 12:26 PM

I too, have been quilting for about 40 years....on and off. More on than off....I gravitate back to quiltingso much so, that I now struggle with "regular" clothing patterns!

pmcfarlin 09-30-2018 01:39 PM

This is a valuable topic. We all need to stop and take a look at why we enjoy or dislike doing the things we do. I have enjoyed everyone's comments. I quilt to satisfy the creative urge in my life. I sing in a community choir, a church choir and play handbells because music is such a big part of who I am. When I lost my voice, I whistled to let the music out. I read for entertainment, play bridge for mental stimulation and friendships, and finally I train my dog in agility because we are a great team and she is very smart and loves to work. With all these hobbies, I am certainly glad I'm retired. I would hate to give up any of them. I just love to look, caress, compare all the fabrics in my stash. I'm a piecer, don't necessarily finish the quilts, but I surely do love looking at patterns, colors and fabrics. I collect pictures of quilts I would like to make, many of them taken from this very blog. I hope to quilt up to my last days.

Stitchnripper 09-30-2018 01:57 PM

I started quilting when I retired back in 2004. I didn't ever have any intention of doing it, but did watch Alex Anderson every morning before work. I never even told anyone I did that. When I retired, one of my sons said "now that you are retired you can make me a quilt". What??? I said, I don't quilt. And he said, now that you are retired you can learn. I have always sewed and did have (and still do) have the sewing machine I bought for myself in 1964. I really didn't give it another thought til a few weeks later I opened the local paper and saw "beginning quilting class". I took it as a sign! Went to the class and made some good friends and the rest is history. Now I quilt for my own pleasure. I have no deadlines, do what I like, and have given a few away. They will all get donated when I pass. I am not a big producer. I am liking FMQ lately so piecing is a means to get to that part. Not that I am an expert, but, I really like it. Quilting satisfies something in me, so I'll keep doing it til it doesn't.

SallyS 09-30-2018 02:01 PM

I did get bored with sewing, whether it was quilting or clothing, even very creative sewing. So, I started to use paint on my sewing projects because it was something new and challenging. Ever since my 1st grade teacher held up my purple orange juicer as a bad example, I knew I wasn't artistic. Well, I showed her -- and myself. Even better, it's something exciting for me to do, and challenging. And therapeutic! And I've won "Best of Show." Maybe a new direction, still using the talents you have but adding to them, would be an answer for you.

Jingle 09-30-2018 05:46 PM

I do quilt making because I love all aspects of it. I sew just about everyday. I like to keep busy and quilting is how I choose to do it. I mainly make donation quilts for kids in the foster care system in my county. No way could I keep all the quilts I make and I am happy to share my talent with others. Quilts will help keep them warm and give them something to call their own.