Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-square-quilt-i-might-change-rectangle-need-advice-t191527.html)

romanojg 06-12-2012 08:07 AM

That would depend on the bed it was going on. My full size and my twins are longer that wide. The full sits so high up that it can take more of a drape over the side than the twin. Now my king, that's a different story. It's actually more square that long. I have a problem even when buying for king to get it to drape over the sides far enough; no problem at the end. Since I don't have a footboard I'd like it to drape down past my boxsprings and I can't get on to do that. If you like it square leave it alone or change it as needed.I did make a twin size one that is meant to be more of a throw for my son and after looking at it decided it needed to be longer since he's over 6ft.

LadyElisabeth 06-12-2012 08:10 AM

I like rectangular however, some patterns just look better square

DawnFurlong 06-12-2012 09:15 AM

I like mine rectangular (though I don't mind square on baby quilts). When making a quilt for a bed, I normally measure the mattress plus whatever amount I want for the drop (allowing a little extra for shrinkage). Then I adjust my pattern accordingly. This usually means I am adding blocks one way or the other (or both). This way my quilt fits the bed the way I like it to fit! :o Actually, thinking a bit more on this - I don't mind a square quilt - so long as it fits my bed the way I want it to fit. But generally - my quilt will be rectangular.

I like the other ideas given for making a square quilt rectangular. Sometimes I am so close to the size I want (I prefer my quilt to be a little long rather than come up short) - but I would rather not have to add another entire row (and sometimes adding that row would throw off the balance of the pattern - so I would then need to add a horizontal and vertical row). I'll have to refer back to this thread for alternative ideas when I am just inches away.

GrannieAnnie 06-12-2012 10:53 AM

the quilts that we make for our church raffle are always square---well they're supposed to be. Just easier to offer a king sized quilt so it suits everyone.

Personal sized quilts I make at 72" long or better and as close to 50" wide as I can.

Baby quilts I keep at around 45" x 50"

Tweety2911 06-12-2012 11:26 AM

I too, prefer rectangle quilts and when they are your size I prefer to make them rectangle so they fit better whether a lap quilt, single or double bed size.

kristakz 06-12-2012 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did this recently- this quilt was a square, and I added the top & bottom borders to make it rectangular instead. I wish I could see your quilt so I could offer suggestions. Suffice to say, if you don't like it, find a way to change it so you do. It's definitely worth the extra effort in my opinion.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341630[/ATTACH]

DawnFurlong 06-12-2012 12:14 PM

Love your quilt Krista! Those colors are so vibrant and really pop!

spokanequilter 06-12-2012 12:35 PM

Depends on how you're going to use it.... For snuggling up under a quilt to read to watch TV, rectangular works best. But I do make square quilts and use them for wall hangings or as bed toppers over my bedspread.

May in Jersey 06-12-2012 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by May in Jersey (Post 5283445)
I like rectangular quilts as people who use them are usually longer than they are wide.
Simplist way is to make the top and bottom borders wider than the side borders.

Another technique is to 1) add the inner border, 2) make a checkerboard strip from 2 fabrics in the quilt, 3) add the checkerboard strip to the top and bottom, and 4) add the outside border.

Here's a photo of the 2nd technique to make a square quilt longer. [ATTACH=CONFIG]341646[/ATTACH]

judylg 06-12-2012 05:43 PM

After thinking about this and I have, might just leave it square. Unless something pops into my head that I think would look good. Sometimes I spend too much time thinking what I should do, without actually doing it. Thanks so very much for your suggestions.