Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-like-square-quilt-i-might-change-rectangle-need-advice-t191527.html)

judylg 06-12-2012 04:14 AM

Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice

I have a quilt nearly finished, only have the borders to add. I look at the quilt laying on the floor and wonder if I should add something to make it into a rectangle shape, it would have to be added on the top and bottom and then I would add final border. I wonder has anyone done that? I have it in two colors, which I like. It is a redwork with 9 blocks, triple sashing and nine patch (background of redwork blocks-off white and red fabrics). Not sure what I could add to it to add length and yet fit in. As I say the square just does not appeal to me, but may leave it if too much work. I hope my explanation is ok.

gollytwo 06-12-2012 04:17 AM

I sometimes, like you, wind up with a square quilt - and I leave it that way
A good friend always makes her quilts square. She says being able to switch around 4 ways saves wear and tear on the binding.

judylg 06-12-2012 04:38 AM

That may very well be how this ends up, just thought 60 square is an odd size. I am doubting very much because of the redwork that this quilt will get used that much, if not it is not much good is it? Looks good though.

lfletcher 06-12-2012 04:46 AM

I too prefer a rectangle quilt over a square one, but some patterns just work better square so I leave them. Square is good for a wall hanging. You could add wider borders to the top and bottom than the ones on the side. I think if they are the same fabric, it would probably look good.

joyce888 06-12-2012 04:48 AM

Without seeing the quilt it's a little hard to advise JMHO.

paulswalia 06-12-2012 04:50 AM

I may be round, but I'm not square! That being said, I feel a rectangular quilt suits my uses better than a square one, unless I had planned to use the square as a table topper or a wall hanging. I have added borders to top and bottom, sometimes a pieced section that mimics the design in the square as a way of making a square into a rectangle.

reginalovesfabric 06-12-2012 04:53 AM

I like a rectangular quilt and don't like my quilts to be square.

PaperPrincess 06-12-2012 05:02 AM

My bed quilts are rectangular, but all my throws usually are square, but it depends on the pattern.

ghostrider 06-12-2012 05:03 AM

Afraid I can't help you much, I only make square quilts. Besides the fact that I prefer designing within squares, I find the shape is much more adaptable than a rectangle and looks more like art than like a bed linen.

Squares make perfect wall quilts, no matter what the size, so all mine have a handing sleeve. Squares are also perfect for both queen and king size beds, as well as couch quilts and toddler quilts. Your 60" square redwork would look beautiful as a 'topper' on a queen sized bed, providing warmth for either a cozy nap or a full night's sleep.

BKrenning 06-12-2012 05:29 AM

I do it both ways. It depends on the design and the size of the bed the quilt is intended for. I have added a neutral inner border to top & bottom and I have just added another single border line at the top. Often, I will just make the first inner border on the top & bottom wider than the sides to "float" the design.