Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice

Question Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice

I have a quilt nearly finished, only have the borders to add. I look at the quilt laying on the floor and wonder if I should add something to make it into a rectangle shape, it would have to be added on the top and bottom and then I would add final border. I wonder has anyone done that? I have it in two colors, which I like. It is a redwork with 9 blocks, triple sashing and nine patch (background of redwork blocks-off white and red fabrics). Not sure what I could add to it to add length and yet fit in. As I say the square just does not appeal to me, but may leave it if too much work. I hope my explanation is ok.

Banned
    I sometimes, like you, wind up with a square quilt - and I leave it that way
    A good friend always makes her quilts square. She says being able to switch around 4 ways saves wear and tear on the binding.

That may very well be how this ends up, just thought 60 square is an odd size. I am doubting very much because of the redwork that this quilt will get used that much, if not it is not much good is it? Looks good though.

I too prefer a rectangle quilt over a square one, but some patterns just work better square so I leave them. Square is good for a wall hanging. You could add wider borders to the top and bottom than the ones on the side. I think if they are the same fabric, it would probably look good.

Blog Entries
    Without seeing the quilt it's a little hard to advise JMHO.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    I may be round, but I'm not square! That being said, I feel a rectangular quilt suits my uses better than a square one, unless I had planned to use the square as a table topper or a wall hanging. I have added borders to top and bottom, sometimes a pieced section that mimics the design in the square as a way of making a square into a rectangle.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

I like a rectangular quilt and don't like my quilts to be square.

Blog Entries
    My bed quilts are rectangular, but all my throws usually are square, but it depends on the pattern.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Afraid I can't help you much, I only make square quilts. Besides the fact that I prefer designing within squares, I find the shape is much more adaptable than a rectangle and looks more like art than like a bed linen.

Squares make perfect wall quilts, no matter what the size, so all mine have a handing sleeve. Squares are also perfect for both queen and king size beds, as well as couch quilts and toddler quilts. Your 60" square redwork would look beautiful as a 'topper' on a queen sized bed, providing warmth for either a cozy nap or a full night's sleep.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I do it both ways. It depends on the design and the size of the bed the quilt is intended for. I have added a neutral inner border to top & bottom and I have just added another single border line at the top. Often, I will just make the first inner border on the top & bottom wider than the sides to "float" the design.
    Beverly

One way to make it rectangular and look like it was supposed to be that way is to add a redwork border to the top or to the the top and bottom.

I like rectangular quilts as people who use them are usually longer than they are wide.
    Simplist way is to make the top and bottom borders wider than the side borders.

Another technique is to 1) add the inner border, 2) make a checkerboard strip from 2 fabrics in the quilt, 3) add the checkerboard strip to the top and bottom, and 4) add the outside border.

Of course you can change it. I am another one who has only made rectangular quilts..
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    I've made a square into a rectangle by adding fancy borders to the top and bottom. I prefer rectangles.

I have found the old quilts are too square. They barely fit a full size mattress & queen or king, forget it. I'm making star blocks for oldest GS (graduates in 3 yrs) (good thing I got started early 'cause his brother & oldest GD the next yr, then another GD yr after, another GD 2 yrs later, another GD 2 yrs later & finally baby GD 2 yrs later). Just hope the Good Lord gives me continued health & no visits from Arthur. Anyway, am making oldest GS's very long & wider (than a twin) cause he's already 6'2", not even 16. My Mom has hand stitched blocks & is working on 15th of 16 14" ones now. When I use them I'll make it longer & future ones.
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 3 cats, Callie, Buddy & Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Hm..lots to think about, I am going to try and take a picture later and post it, hoping to anyways. Your suggestions all deserve merit and consideration.

I like square quilts on queen sized beds for design and function. As someone said, you can rotate to minimize wear and tear on the edges. I don't like to use quilts to cover the pillow, so that makes a square more useful.
    Elizabeth

Best way to add length is to add blocks not borders. I know you didn't want to hear that ... I love square quilts for babies, but rectangle for all else.

For bed quilts, the size should take into account the size of the bed, the depth of the mattress, whether there is a footboard, whether the user wants a pillow tuck... For king or queen, this usually means a quilt that is close to square, or even wider than it is long. For a twin or bunk bed, rectangular is better. A full bed could go either way. For a throw that I snuggle with on the couch, I prefer square. So... I guess my preference is with a square quilt. Most quilt designs work out better with a square too.

I always make large bed quilts, king, queen and double square. Generally I make lap quilts and most baby quilts rectangular with the exception of baby floor quilts or quilts to cary babies in. (kind of like recieving blankets) I also prefer utility quilts for in the car, park or on the beach a large square like 65x65. I think it sound like your quilt does not look complete to you eventhough it is done. I have added strips to the top and bottom of quilts in order to achieve the size I wanted, like for extra long twin bed quilts, but never just for the look of it. To me it generally takes away from the look.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    That would depend on the bed it was going on. My full size and my twins are longer that wide. The full sits so high up that it can take more of a drape over the side than the twin. Now my king, that's a different story. It's actually more square that long. I have a problem even when buying for king to get it to drape over the sides far enough; no problem at the end. Since I don't have a footboard I'd like it to drape down past my boxsprings and I can't get on to do that. If you like it square leave it alone or change it as needed.I did make a twin size one that is meant to be more of a throw for my son and after looking at it decided it needed to be longer since he's over 6ft.
    Judy

I like rectangular however, some patterns just look better square
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I like mine rectangular (though I don't mind square on baby quilts). When making a quilt for a bed, I normally measure the mattress plus whatever amount I want for the drop (allowing a little extra for shrinkage). Then I adjust my pattern accordingly. This usually means I am adding blocks one way or the other (or both). This way my quilt fits the bed the way I like it to fit! Actually, thinking a bit more on this - I don't mind a square quilt - so long as it fits my bed the way I want it to fit. But generally - my quilt will be rectangular.

I like the other ideas given for making a square quilt rectangular. Sometimes I am so close to the size I want (I prefer my quilt to be a little long rather than come up short) - but I would rather not have to add another entire row (and sometimes adding that row would throw off the balance of the pattern - so I would then need to add a horizontal and vertical row). I'll have to refer back to this thread for alternative ideas when I am just inches away.
    Dawn

the quilts that we make for our church raffle are always square---well they're supposed to be. Just easier to offer a king sized quilt so it suits everyone.

Personal sized quilts I make at 72" long or better and as close to 50" wide as I can.

Baby quilts I keep at around 45" x 50"
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I too, prefer rectangle quilts and when they are your size I prefer to make them rectangle so they fit better whether a lap quilt, single or double bed size.
    Helen T.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast