Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you like a square quilt? I might change..to rectangle...need advice

I did this recently- this quilt was a square, and I added the top & bottom borders to make it rectangular instead. I wish I could see your quilt so I could offer suggestions. Suffice to say, if you don't like it, find a way to change it so you do. It's definitely worth the extra effort in my opinion.

Name:  P2260144.JPG
Views: 487
Size:  251.5 KB

Love your quilt Krista! Those colors are so vibrant and really pop!
    Dawn

Depends on how you're going to use it.... For snuggling up under a quilt to read to watch TV, rectangular works best. But I do make square quilts and use them for wall hangings or as bed toppers over my bedspread.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
    I like rectangular quilts as people who use them are usually longer than they are wide.
    Simplist way is to make the top and bottom borders wider than the side borders.

Another technique is to 1) add the inner border, 2) make a checkerboard strip from 2 fabrics in the quilt, 3) add the checkerboard strip to the top and bottom, and 4) add the outside border.
    Here's a photo of the 2nd technique to make a square quilt longer. Name:  Fall%20Flowers.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  161.1 KB

After thinking about this and I have, might just leave it square. Unless something pops into my head that I think would look good. Sometimes I spend too much time thinking what I should do, without actually doing it. Thanks so very much for your suggestions.

I love square quilts. There is no absolute rule as to which is better though.

Why not add another row of blocks. Then you can have even borders all the way around.
    Dena

The quilt pictured in my avatar is square. It's on my bed right now. And for that reason I now know that I like them rectangular. And here's another quirky thing....I put the rectangular ones on my bed crossways. I know, sounds funny. The square ones always want to slide down off the end of the bed and I'm constantly trying to cover myself in the middle of the night. If I put a rectangular one on crossways I don't have that problem. There's no weight hanging off the foot of the bed.

It depends on where the quilt will be used...

[QUOTE=Christine George;5285276]The quilt pictured in my avatar is square. It's on my bed right now. And for that reason I now know that I like them rectangular. And here's another quirky thing....I put the rectangular ones on my bed crossways. I know, sounds funny. The square ones always want to slide down off the end of the bed and I'm constantly trying to cover myself in the middle of the night. If I put a rectangular one on crossways I don't have that problem. There's no weight hanging off the foot of the bed.[/QUOT

I know if this one was on the bed it could only go one way, with the redwork pictures they have to be up and down and the top has to be at the top, it is barns.
    I like your border there.

Blog Entries
    All my quilts turn into rectangles so they can be used on a bed. Square ones just don't cut it!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I much prefer rectangular and will add borders or blocks to make it so...

Personally, I do both..depends on the quilt design. Sometimes it needs the "square" look. I always make them large enough to hang over about a foot or two, so when one gets into bed, the body is still covered. Sometimes I make one large enough to fold over pillows, other times the quilt is just flat and doesn't cover the pillows. It's all in a mood thing for me - they always turn out very nice.

Depends what it's for. A square lap quilt is sometimes too wide and not long enough. I make a square for my bed so there's enough hanging over the side . I wouldn't make it a rectangle - or a square - just because you think it should be, unless it enhances the over all design. That is, I wouldn't make a square quilt into a rectangle, if the square functions for what you need, unless changing it to a rectangle would make it better.

How about adding a row of 9 or 6 or 4 patches to both ends. I am getting so tired of square quilts!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    I have a quilt nearly finished, only have the borders to add. I look at the quilt laying on the floor and wonder if I should add something to make it into a rectangle shape, it would have to be added on the top and bottom and then I would add final border. I wonder has anyone done that? I have it in two colors, which I like. It is a redwork with 9 blocks, triple sashing and nine patch (background of redwork blocks-off white and red fabrics). Not sure what I could add to it to add length and yet fit in. As I say the square just does not appeal to me, but may leave it if too much work. I hope my explanation is ok.
    I like the rectangle quilts, that allows more foot of the bed hang over than the square does. but that is the thing about quilting we can make them to please our self .. no quilt police...
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Name:  #139 Geese in a Knot.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  1.08 MBThis one was square and I added the migrating geese. I just don't like square quilts.
    OCD in the OC

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Name:  #139 Geese in a Knot.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  1.08 MBThis one was square and I added the migrating geese. I just don't like square quilts.

I feel the same, unless it will be used for a wallhanging. That I doubt happens with this one. The migrating geese is nice, but looks like a lot of work, was it?

I always make my quilts rectangular. It just seems to appeal to me more than a square.

Vat
    I seldom ever do a square quilt. Sometimes over my mantle but I love rectangles mych better. I add extra rows all the time. Do your own thing! ! !

I'm glad you asked the question and I appreciate all the tips and pix that everyone has offered. I always learn so much here. I'm looking forward you seeing your red work quilt when you've finished it.
    jean

For my own queen bed I make all quilts square to finish after quilting in the 95" range and no pillow tuck (don't like the weight when turned down). Being able to turn it any direction means less fading in any one area and it fits the bed which has extra deep mattress perfectly. I know you can buy spray that protects quilts from light damage BUT don't worry about it too much because with 2 quilt-loving cats I have to change them out and wash & dry them frequently. With a few exceptions, they are traditional patterns & finished with a combination of stitch-in-ditch to stabilize and machine meandering, loops and swirls which I do myself. I sometimes make matching pillow cases or toss pillows. Pretty utilitarian and casual actually. I wash & damp dry all fabrics before pressing & sewing and use either cotton or cotton/poly 80/20 batting so shrinking out of shape is never a problem.

Blog Entries
    Ive done both! Beds are rectangle, if the person is tall the quilt is rectangle to fit. Do what u like theres no rules!!

You can make a couple more blocks and put on the end that will be at the head of the bed. With a combination of blocks and borders, it shouldn't be too hard to make it longer.

Quote Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
    I like a rectangular quilt and don't like my quilts to be square.
    I'm the same way... unless it's for a baby or a tablecloth. I'm working on a couple of Jelly Roll Race quilts & they're more square than I like. But that's just me. It depends on the pattern, I think. Could you post a picture?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast