Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you own a Serger? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-own-serger-t194189.html)

MadamPolo 07-10-2012 06:26 PM

About 20 years ago, I was watching one of those shopping channels when a serger came up. I bought it. When it came, I took it out of the box and was so intimidated by it, I put it up in its case. It sat around for 20 years. Someone encouraged me to get it out, and when I did, there wasn't an owner's manual. I ordered another one, and when it came I sat down and threaded the darn thing. I had a horrible time with the lower looper. The pictures both on the machine itself and in the manual didn't look like anything I was seeing. I finally got it though. I then took some practice fabric and did some serging. I had to adjust the tension. Then I packed it all back up and it is stored again for 20 years, I'm sure. I wouldn't buy one unless you sew garments.

maryb44662 07-10-2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by nygal (Post 5353536)
I've been seeing sergers lately on the HSN network. I've never thought of getting one but I am wondering about what you can use them for other than nice finished edges. I was wondering if anyone owns one and if you use it often and ever on a quilt somehow?

I ordered an inexpensive book from Amazon on using Sergers so I can be more educated about them.

I have one and use it all the time, to finish seams, to make seams and to serge around all my quilts before attaching the binding. The binding goes on a lot easier. If you ever have one and use it, you will wonder how you made it without one.

jacee kay 07-10-2012 06:30 PM

I bought a used one several years ago. I used it a little but would get very flustered when the thread needed rethreaded. It was hard to get threaded again.
I sold it in a garage sale last month and said good riddance. I wouldn't buy another one.

Iamquilter 07-11-2012 05:05 AM

I have had one for years and did some sewing when my children were small to make their t shirts. Now the only time I use it is to serge lhe cut ends of fabric before I wash it and then I know when I want to use it , it is ready to go.

1rottendog 07-11-2012 05:17 AM

I have a Bernina and still use it occasionally. I have a pattern for a 6-hour quilt that provides directions for using a serger. Makes a great baby quilt -- have done several.

SewSassy 07-11-2012 05:19 AM

Many, many years ago, I pieced an Around the World made of flannel with my serger. I don't use it frequently, but I am glad that I have it. I updated my original Toyota with a Babylock Evolve.

ThreadHead 07-11-2012 06:18 AM

Yes, I have a CHEAP one. Needles are always breaking when you sew over a seam, I have to baby it.
They are great for a clean finish. I will buy another one as soon as I get hold of some extra money.
I will TRY out my next one before I buy. You get what you pay for. syl

gmcsewer 07-11-2012 06:19 AM

I have had a Singer for probably 20 years. I do a lot of garment sewing and home dec. I especially like to sew with tricot and knit fabrics with it. As to threading, I found out if you start at the bottom and work your way up, the machine will sew right off. There is something about threadin the needles and then the loopers that messes it up. I don't use mine for quilting. But it is nice to alter ready made clothing or to fix them if a seam gives way.

Digitizingqueen 07-11-2012 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Liz92B (Post 5353648)
I sew clothing too, so I use my serger and my coverlock a fair bit ... but not for quilting.

I concurs great for finishing edges, sewing knits, making sure fabrics that fray a lot have finished edges but I only use it for piecing small projects like bags and stockings mostly use my regular machine for me quilt construction....

Rhonda Lee 07-11-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by donnalynett (Post 5353830)
They are great for making quilt labels!

Could you give an example? Sounds like fun. Love my serger.