Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you pin? Have you tried? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-pin-have-you-tried-t100218.html)

PaperPrincess 02-16-2011 07:41 AM

I've had a couple of instructors who said to machine baste the sandwich around the edge of the quilt, along with the pinning. For some reason, this always makes a fold for me so I pin the body of the quilt and use a micro tag gun around the perimeter. I agree that if you do want to try a tagging gun, you need to get the one with the tiny needle and tags.

vjengels 02-16-2011 07:45 AM

I'll pin a small project, or if I'm going to tie the quilt; other than that I use Sharon Schamers basting method, you can find it on you tube, if you use water soluable thread you don't have to worry about the basting thread after you finish. Also, once you baste your quilt, it doesn't move, you don't have to worry about pins rusting, or catching.... plus you didn't have to crawl around on the floor!

littlehud 02-16-2011 08:01 AM

I hated pinning too. What a pain and the pins were always in the way so I tried spray basting and I love it.

samsews 02-16-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
Do you pin your quilt to sandwich it? When I do the free motion, the pins get in the way. I am going to try a tagger gun. What is your opinion of using that?

I pin, but I habd quilt so it's not a problem for me.

Annaquilts 02-16-2011 08:25 AM

I have hand basted, pinned and then found spray basting. I do not like pinning the quilt does not lay as flat, the pins get stuck when I try to free motion, my quilting does not look as nice and my fingers and back hurt. Spray basting is wonderful.

bluteddi 02-16-2011 09:18 AM

I pin..... I am still learning to FMQ... so I just do a small area at a time anyway and removed pins as I go.

I have the spray baste.. but even protecting the outer areas , the over spray went EVERYWHERE!!!! I never adjusted to the spray....
I have a pair os stainless steel long handle tweezers that I use now when I HAVE to spray ( & I go outdoors) that I have tried just about everything I can think of to clean the left over spray basting off of them.... Even Goo B Gone and Acidtone didnt get it off.....

sewwhat85 02-16-2011 09:23 AM

i am going to try that spray basting

sharoney 02-16-2011 09:24 AM

I tried the tagger gun; didn't like the holes, plus if you have to cut one of the tags because it's in your way, then you have to dig around and be sure you find the bottom part cause you don't want to run over it. Then I bent the needle and quit using it. Spray is good, but you do have to be careful about overspray, and it does stink. I'm thinking I'm going to try pinmoors.

carslo 02-16-2011 10:20 AM

I have been using spray basting, and love it. I bought a case of 505 in the red can. It isn't cheap but saves so much time and I am not on the floor as long which is good for aging joints.

Janet

katier825 02-16-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
Isn't basting spray messy?

I never have a problem with overspray. When I get near the edges, I work from the outside and angle the spray inwards. I spray in a grid pattern, about 6" apart. I don't try to cover every square inch of the batting.

I've found it to be the best as far as avoiding issues on the back of the quilt.