Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you put a binding on a wallhanging? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-put-binding-wallhanging-t173843.html)

Drew 12-31-2011 10:42 AM

I like my bindings to be on the dark side.

QuiltingGrannie 12-31-2011 07:27 PM

I bind all my work. The first wall hanging I did was without the binding but since then they all have had bindings. The binding isn't that hard to do once you learn or find the tricks to doing it.
On yours I'd either use the blue or the white from your blocks. I try to use a binding that either matches the last border and just blends in or one that captures a color from one of the blocks to draw attention to that area, and to make the whole piece just pop.

Good job on the one you are making!

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry

irishrose 12-31-2011 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
YES, binding. Why not use the gold? I just did on a table runner and am very pleased how nice it looks. I was concerned, but it's the only color I had the right amount of and this was scrappy. I did cruise the LQS, but nothing they had was any better. My DIL likes it.

lfstamper 12-31-2011 08:08 PM

Either way is good. Nice job!

Holice 12-31-2011 08:57 PM

I sometime put a facing on wallhangings. depends on the design. Sometime no binding but facing works better with the design.

Feathers-N-Fur 01-01-2012 12:51 AM

For finishing your bindings, I love the Binding Buddy from Missouri Star Quilt Co. It is a simple template that was under $10 and makes it easy to have a perfect joining of the ends. Just be sure to watch the video before trying it.

fireworkslover 01-22-2012 03:40 PM

Just about all the quilts I make are wall hangings. Most have the traditional bindings, but some don't. If they are small and really more of an Art Quilt, I'll do a different edge. Machine zigzag over a yarn, for example, on the edge. Hand stitch the edge w/ thick yarn or skinny strips of fabric. Sometimes I'll have a heavy interfacing between the layers instead of batting and that will give me ideas of more ways of finishing those edges. There's lots of ways to deal with the edges. If I don't want a binding to show on the front, I'll put one on but have it all pull to the back. I did this on a large New York Beauty wall quilt, where a traditional binding would look odd. If your quilt will be laundered, then you want a traditional binding on it, I'd think. But my wall quilts have never been washed, so I don't consider that to be a decision maker for what type of edge to put on.

Grandma58 01-22-2012 03:42 PM

Yarn, I like yarn

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 01-22-2012 03:45 PM

I always put bindings on my wall hangings as I use a darker color or a solid color as I feel it gives the last pop it needs for a frame like appearance.

Wunder-Mar 01-22-2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4827083)
Adding a binding gives you the chance to add a last pop of color. I always put bindings on my wall hangings. Finishing the ends isn't really that hard once you learn how.

I agree with this view - I also like to finish something as nicely as I've constructed the rest of this. CUTE wall hanging, by the way!