Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-refuse-buy-fabric-shops-your-own-state-t64504.html)

Charlee 09-13-2010 10:00 AM

I'm in Oregon too, and because of the lack of a sales tax, business and property taxes are through the roof...that gets passed onto the consumer...Oregon is one of the most expensive places I've lived!
(I'm SO ready to move out of this place!!!)

***Edited to add*** NOT that Oregon is THE most expensive place one could live....just that it's the most expensive place *I* have lived!! ;)

majormom 09-13-2010 10:07 AM

Of course, after bragging about not having to pay sales tax, before we sold our home, we paid pretty high property taxes. However state governments need money to run the state, so whether they levy a sales tax, a property tax or any other kind of tax - we should realize that if we expect all the services we should be willing to pay the tax!!!

Favorite Fabrics 09-13-2010 10:10 AM

About self-reporting out-of-state purchases

Originally Posted by CorgiNole

We are supposed to do that in NC as well. There is a formula to use based on income, or you can attempt to document it if you are paying less than what the formula says. I don't know how accurate people are with it.

I don't know *what* to think about this. I mean, how do you document what you DIDN'T spend?

(Your honor, I have a witness! My husband can testify that I did not go out-of-state to purchase anything the entire month of August, and my computer was broken so I couldn't buy anything online. And my mailbox got knocked down, so I couldn't purchase anything by mail-order either. That's right, the car needed fixing so I couldn't even drive the outgoing mail to the Post Office. You know they won't deliver or pick up if there's no mail receptacle. Oh, yes, it's true, my telephone line fell down and the phone company has not been out to fix it yet... and the baby flushed the cell phone down the toilet so I couldn't order anything by phone either. )

Sorry. My imagination runs wild sometimes...

Matilda 09-13-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Just wondering if any of you make it a point to refuse to buy fabrics from online shops that are in your own state... so that you don't have to pay sales tax?

I have never bought fabric on line but there are certain shops locally that I refuse to shop at either because they have cheated me on fabric or they are just not nice people.

As far as on line I have heard from women that they have been cheated quite a bit and didn't get the yardage they ordered.

Lori S 09-13-2010 10:14 AM

No because the shipping costs are more than taxes. And in NY state the taxes are less if you are using the fabric to make a garment. Interesting no one ever asks this question in a fabric /quilt fabric store. I make plenty of quilted garments... but even if I bring it up they just look at me like they really wish I had not brought it up.

Favorite Fabrics 09-13-2010 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
No because the shipping costs are more than taxes. And in NY state the taxes are less if you are using the fabric to make a garment. Interesting no one ever asks this question in a fabric /quilt fabric store. I make plenty of quilted garments... but even if I bring it up they just look at me like they really wish I had not brought it up.

It may well be true that they wish you hadn't brought it up... because they may not know what to DO about it!

It's one item, that can be taxed two different ways. That's kind of a nightmare.

Why does NY make everything so HARD?

Suzan Larrimore 09-13-2010 11:20 AM

I shop in person mostly. I like to see things up close and I know pictures are never true to the real color. That's not to say I won't buy something online if I like it. Now, I also live in a tax free state. Delaware even goes so far as to advertise "The home of tax free shopping" to lure in customers from PA, NJ, NY, MD. So as far as I know, I still don't pay tax if I'm online, because the transaction takes place in DE. I may be wrong, maybe I just haven't noticed. When I shop in other states, I know there is a tax but it doesn't stop me from buying it.

newquilter10 09-13-2010 12:31 PM

I do shop in my own state, our state needs all the help it can get!!

MadQuilter 09-13-2010 12:42 PM

I shop at local LQSes and Joanne unless I run across a fabric online that I can't get there.

Quiltforme 09-13-2010 02:47 PM

I purposly look for sellers from my state on ebay. I don't mind paying more they are my neighbors.