Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-refuse-buy-fabric-shops-your-own-state-t64504.html)

gazelle 09-14-2010 06:15 AM

I buy locally as much as possible but it's not to support local merchants--it's just more convenient, or course. However, locally, the selection is terrible! I live in a small town and only have Walmart for fabric! I will buy anywhere online where I find what I'm looking for and the cost is reasonable. As far as taxes, I pay enough already and I'm not the least bit concerned the the state gets more taxes when I shop in other states vs my own! and I certainly don't want them to change the law so we can "gratefully" pay more taxes! I'm a member of the Tea Party-Taxed Enough Already!!

grannypat7925 09-14-2010 06:30 AM

Here in Ohio we are supposed to do the same but I wonder how many do????? Some things ordered are taxed.......like from QVC in PA. They don't have fabric but anything you order from there will be taxed the amount your state assesses on in state sales.

catrancher 09-14-2010 06:54 AM

I live in Oregon . . . no sales tax. But even if we had a sales tax, I don't think I would refuse to shop here. It's my home. I love my home.

gazelle 09-14-2010 07:05 AM

Absolutely not! I buy most of my fabric in my own state and would even buy most in my hometown if we hadd any fabric stores with lots of choices. I have to drive 45 miles to a Marden's to get the best selection. I buy fabric wherever I can find what I want for the project at hand, whether locally, 45 mi away, online instate or out of state! I would prefer to buy it locally bec. I don't want to add shipping costs or wait for fabric to arrive. But I would never buy exclusively instate just to support the tax base!

Derla 09-14-2010 07:06 AM

In my case, shipping and handling would cost more than any sales tax.

thelondonzoo 09-14-2010 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I live in Oregon . . . no sales tax. But even if we had a sales tax, I don't think I would refuse to shop here. It's my home. I love my home.

I agree!

thelondonzoo 09-14-2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by steelecg
If we don't support our local merchants, we soon be towns without brick and mortor stores. Real book stores are becoming a thing of the past because of places like Amazon. try to support your LQS.

My favorite bookstore is one in town called Basin Book Traders. You bring in a stack of books you no longer want, they give you store credit, and you leave with a new stack of books. Even if you don't have books to trade, all the books they sell are either 50% off retail price or less. I got a fabulous quilting book there for $4. Amazon sells it for $1 plus $4 shipping so I even saved money! lol

3TreeFrog 09-14-2010 07:33 AM

I generally try to purchase locally, I support the "small guy" keep my community in business. Having said that if the price difference is $1/yard or more, then I will think hard about what I will purchase.

If you don't support your community/town/city/state, who will?

TreeFrog

thelondonzoo 09-14-2010 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
In Oregon we don't have sales tax.....they just hit us with state tax at the end of the year.

The best place to live must be Vancouver, WA. No state income tax and all you have to do is drive over the bridge into Portland, OR to buy things and you don't have to pay sales tax!

ghostrider 09-14-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo

Originally Posted by scrappylouisa
In Oregon we don't have sales tax.....they just hit us with state tax at the end of the year.

The best place to live must be Vancouver, WA. No state income tax and all you have to do is drive over the bridge into Portland, OR to buy things and you don't have to pay sales tax!

Or you could move to New Hampshire, pay no state income tax, no state sales tax, and shop at Keepsake Quilting anytime your little heart desired!

:-D