Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you sew over your pins? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-sew-over-your-pins-t33612.html)

gcathie 01-09-2010 09:42 PM

I pin a lot and I sew over them...try not to hit any but it happens and sometimes I have to get the pliers and yank it out....all my needles have knicks in them....I take my pin out after I sew.....I just buy new pins from time to time...was also taught in "Home Ec." it was okay to do this....and for the most part I miss the pins...been sewing this way for 30 years at least...what is the point in pinning if you take them out at the critical time?....never have had to have my machine serviced as of today.....knock on wood.....and I did take a timing class just incase.......call me crazy....:-)

lisalovesquilting 01-09-2010 09:49 PM

Do you sew over pin? Not any more!!!!!

jljack 01-09-2010 10:58 PM

I have a cheap Brother machine and very fine pins....so, I pin at corners (because I am very vain about my corners being tight and aligned!), and sew over the pin so the corner doesn't shift.

Gwyn 01-09-2010 11:03 PM

I would rather baste than pin. Sew over them? Never!! Needles are too expensive and the repairman charges $25 to reset timing belt.

A few days ago I was digging in my grandmother's sewing basket and found her pins. Those things were more like small nails than pins...no wonder she taught me to baste everything. I couldn't even get one to push through the fabric.

azdesertrat 01-10-2010 12:37 AM

never ever,but I very seldom pin anymore,except for borders,or if it is a challenging pattern.Like everyone else in Home Ec we were told to sew over them,and I always wondered how the machine always seemed to miss the pin,once I started quilting,teacher said to take them out.

Barb M 01-10-2010 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
My machine is a 35 yr old workhorse that came with a foot designed to sew over pins. If I am sewing clothing, I do run over the pins, but not if I am quilting....it can distort the seam slightly, and I don't need that. :)

Patti

My machine is just like yours :) Mine is a 41 year old kenmore, it also has a special foot, called a floating foot, that is made to float over top of pins. I rarely pin when i'm quilting, except maybe for a border or something, but i pin when i sew dresses for my grandaughter, and those pinned gathered seams, yup, sew right over them with no problem...i always use my floating foot, unless i have to do zigzagging

Granny B 01-10-2010 12:38 PM

All the time (carefully).

Shorebird 01-10-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by cande
Or do you remove them wehn you get to them? I'm getting very lazy; my Mom would holler at me if she knew, lol. She was a very frugal lady and would scold me for dulling my needle, etc. I know I should change needles more often than I do but if they seem to be doing the job.... :?

ABSOLUTELY NEVER.....they can ruin the timing on the newer computerized machines......I also change my needles after about 6 hours of sewing or embroidery....8-10 hours of piecing. I put too much time and effort into my projects to have a problem because of a dull needle or one with a burr.

Monarchlover 01-10-2010 06:29 PM

Yes, most of the time on piecing when I am worried the seams will not meet exactly. I need to get better at this. I have broken needles and bent pins. Am I bad???!!! I try to remove them b4 the sewing, but...

CRH 01-10-2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
I looked in Joanne's for finer pins, but didn't see them. Are they a special order item?

The ones I got at Joanne's are Dritz 250 Super-Fine Sharp Pins Size: 20 - 1 1/4". (used to be 400 per box, but they seem to be downsizing everything but the price these days.)

There may be other brands, but these are the ones that they carried recently.