Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do you toss your thread clippings on the floor? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-toss-your-thread-clippings-floor-t161892.html)

redmadder 10-21-2011 04:04 AM

When I'm cutting and sewing, trimming, whatever, the floor is the last thing considered. Literally. I sweep up when thread and scraps start to follow me to other parts of the house.

grumpy90650 10-21-2011 04:13 AM

i used to just toss them, until my hubby complained about cleaning the vacumm cleaner!....it was hard for me to try and get them into a receptacle of any kind, so now i pull a strip of packaging tape, make a circle or crumple it up, and stick my threads to it, then when it is full, i throw it away, and start over...it has really helped me in not throwing them on the floor........

anniesews 10-21-2011 04:18 AM

No to the floor. My cats will eat any thread they find. I keep a thread catcher right by the machine.

mjsylvstr 10-21-2011 04:20 AM

I do have one of those thread catchers (thanks to my secret angel of last year) but I use it for fabric clippings.......the threads land wherever........and OMG.it's not only in the sewing room..they travel throughout the house !!!!!!!!

I toss them later in the closest trash bin

Debbie C 10-21-2011 04:24 AM

I have a tall waste basket to the side of my machine so I just slide wayward threads over the edge and they usually land inside it. If not, a quick pick-up with my Dustbuster usually does the job. As for myself? I keep a lint-roller handy and go over my clothes before I leave my sewing room. I try to be extra careful about threads as I have 6 kitties.

southernmema 10-21-2011 04:26 AM

I have a trash can right beside me on the floor and I try to put threads etc. in it, but sometimes they land on the floor. At the end of the sewing period, I take a lint roller and "roll" up the threads that missed the trash can.
I feel that I would waste too much time to try to get every thread into the trash can as needed....so I let it go. This didn't used to be...used to be anal about getting every thread into trash at the very moment it was cut.

Drew 10-21-2011 04:36 AM

I put the threads to the right of my sewing machine. Most of the time I remember to throw them out before they end up on the floor. I've heard people saving threads and putting them out in the spring for the birds to build nests. And then I've heard not to do that as the newborn can get their feet caught on the thread.

Bren 10-21-2011 04:39 AM

I have a pincushion/threadcatcher next to my sewing machine which I use diligently--can't imagine life without it! I even put it on the end table next to my chair in the family room when I do handsewing projects. Another thing I have started doing is using leaders and enders. This seems to help cut down on loose threads. I read several posts on this before I tried it, and now am hooked. It stops thread snarls too!

laalaaquilter 10-21-2011 04:39 AM

Heavens NO! I vacuum rarely enough as it is, if I did that I'd feel like I have to vacuum after every sewing day ;-)

I have a small basket on the table that I put thread and super small fabric cuttings, and paper from paper-piecing. I just empty it into the trash can in the kitchen.

If I have a very long piece of thread (from doing something dumb) I might put it in the sewing box to use while hand sewing something at a later date. (I did that a couple times then asked myself if I'd be able to lay my hands on it later to use it, or if it would be the right color so I haven't done that again)

Bren 10-21-2011 04:42 AM

I have a pincushion/threadcatcher next to my sewing machine which I use diligently--can't imagine life without it! I even put it on the end table next to my chair in the family room when I do handsewing projects. Another thing I have started doing is using leaders and enders. This seems to help cut down on loose threads. I read several posts on this before I tried it, and now am hooked. It stops thread snarls too!