Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you wash your newly completed quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-wash-your-newly-completed-quilts-t174152.html)

TerryQuilter 01-02-2012 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1000projects (Post 4834538)
Yes. Especially since i like the wrinkled vintagy look ;)

Double Ditto!

CharlottsQuilts 01-02-2012 11:09 AM

I don't because I am afraid it will fall apart!! How's that for confidence!

NJ Quilter 01-02-2012 11:55 AM

I prewash my fabrics but I still always wash the quilts when completed. As others have said, removes starch; smells; dog hair; oils from my hands and the crinkly look. And even though I prewash, I've had fabric bleed after completion. What a nightmare that quilt was. No matter how many color catchers I used it wouldn't stop bleeding. Finally gifted the quilt with a box of color catchers and instructions to never wash it without them.

Treasureit 01-02-2012 12:28 PM

Does anyone ever think you are giving them a used quilt?

0tis 01-02-2012 12:31 PM

I do for myself and sometimes with other quilts - sometimes I want to be sure no-bleed from fabric - just depends on the fabric - I love the washed look.

Kim Bohannon 01-02-2012 12:33 PM

I usually wash mine... I just think they look so much better when they have been washed. Also, I have started using washable school markers to mark my quilting lines, so have to wash that out..would be kinda funny if I gave a quilt away that still had all those marks on it...lol hope I never forget to wash my marked lines out! rofl

AnnieF 01-02-2012 12:34 PM

I like the crisp look of a newly created quilt...so I do not wash.

Learner747 01-02-2012 01:11 PM

I do not wash the quilt because I washed both top and backing before quilting it.

ckcowl 01-02-2012 01:19 PM

I ALWAYS ALWAYS WASH FINISHED QUILTS!!! before anyone receives them-
i have 2 friends- a mother in law- and the daughter in law-
a few years ago mil made dil a quilt for christmas---it was beautiful and very much loved! dil called mil asking about washing it- one of the kids had spilled something on it- dil followed mil's instructions---took it out of the dryer to find a number of seams had come loose-and there was even a horrible hole! dil was devistated! and so afraid mil would be mad- she cried and cried- and hid the *damaged quilt*--for months i was 'caught in the middle of this mess---with one crying over it constantly- and the other (b****ing) constantly about how ungrateful dil was- quilt was not even being used-
i was sworn to secrecy---(son was deployed-and caught in middle long distance)
finally when we were all together---and mil made a very harsh statement i could take it no longer-went in got the quilt and tossed it on her lap!
she was so embarrassed- by her bad behavior---and also by her neglect -not making sure everything was secure--and washing it first---had she washed it first the problems would have been seen right away-and fixed before it was gifted---and dil would have been spared all the tears---as if hubby being gone wasn't enough!
i never give a quilt that has not be washed-and checked out totally= i do not want to cause anyone such stress.if something is going to happen to it in the wash- i want to know about it first-

Julie in NM 01-02-2012 01:21 PM

Yep I wash every quilt before it leaves my house. Washing makes the quilting pop and I can see if I missed a spot.