Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone else have a real problem with green? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-else-have-real-problem-green-t212204.html)

klgreene 01-29-2013 01:07 PM

Oh, I love green. That's my favorite color. It's the first color in what ever pattern I'm doing that I look for. There are so many different colors of green that go with everything. Just look outside your window and even in winter, there are a lot of shades of green. I have a hard time with blues. And there isn't a color I don't like.

nstitches4u 01-29-2013 01:28 PM

I have "umpteen" shades of green, but I never have the right one and have to go buy new fabric for whatever I am working on. lol

Ccorazone 01-29-2013 01:45 PM

The Chevron pattern from QuiltersCache would look good in shades of green.

noveltyjunkie 01-29-2013 02:01 PM

Exactly! I love many shades of green, but there are many many more! Yellow is the same, but less so. Orange is a tricky customer as well!!

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 5818763)
I think there are too many shades of green. The one I might want is never in my stash. I have a problem with orange. I just don't appreciate it. I barely consider it a color. Must have been because I drank too much Orange Crush when I was a child. :)

Dina

jollyquilting 01-29-2013 03:46 PM

I'm not too fond of green either but thinking of using some kelly green in a runner.

faykilgore 01-29-2013 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings (Post 5819075)
Maybe we should have a "green with envy" challenge. Everyone mails their ugliest green fat quarter to the person next on the list and you HAVE to make a quilt top with the fat quarter to mail back to the original owner of the fat quarter. They can do with it as they wish. LOL

PS I just made this up, but it kinda sounds fun.

Can we just make a quilt block? Then someone (are you volunteering?) could assemble all the ugly green quilt blocks. Might turn out very interesting. I love green but it does seem to have a broader range than the other colors.

quiltingshorttimer 01-29-2013 04:59 PM

I'm a "green" person--love most shades of greens. I especially like greens with brights (but not a bright green) or blues, purples, turquoise, other greens, burgandy, tan, grays.... you get the picture! But greens are tricky--someone mentioned the yellow vs. blue undertones. When you look at the color wheel, it's easy to see that green is likely to go toward one of those primary colors unless it's a true kelly green with a perfect blend of both yellow and blue. The key to greens is to make sure that regardless of the value or shade, saturation, or brightness, that you stay with one "type" of undertone--either the yellows or the blues. And when working with other colors, check the color wheel and see which colors go best with the yellow/green vs. the blue/green--usually it means just stepping over a color one direction or the other on the color wheel from where you would like up the true, kelly green for a triadic or quadaic match, etc. For instance, I love a yellow/green avocado green with turquoise--but the bluegreens compete too much with turquoise. and a blue/green looks well with a purple and maybe magenta or orange but clashes with turqoise or other colors close to the greenish/yellow hues. and think about that garden--the dark greens look great with bright rose, yellow or red--but may overpower a light blue or pale violet. I covet the garden catalogs that are coming in the mail right now--I tear out color "swatchs" of ones I like how they blend in the pictures of flowers and greenery. Great ideas!

raksmum 01-29-2013 08:00 PM

I love green but am like many others and have a hard time finding just the right shade. Went through that today when picking colors for my latest quilt, found all the colors I needed and spent an extra half hour looking for just the right green.

busy fingers 01-29-2013 08:50 PM

I like green and most of my quilts have green in them - but having said that I spend a lot of time looking for the "right" green.

lots2do 01-30-2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 5822250)
Green is an odd color because each green carries hints of other colors in it. I use lots of green but when I get a pile of what some one called "ugly greens", I put them all in one quilt and what do you know they are not at all ugly as one would think. I made a 1600 quilt from greens and have the plans for a forest of paper pieced triangles to whittle down my "uglies" scrap greens pile. I know it will be beautiful in the end. No forest, coppice, thicket or wood lot is ever one shade of green. Ahhhhh, as a Michigander, I just my vistas of trees.

That's a great idea! I am rethinking my position on the ugly greens. :)