Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   does anyone own this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-own-machine-t132813.html)

mslbl 06-27-2011 11:53 AM

FYI, Sears doesn't make any products...they are all made by another manufacturer for Sears..I have bought their appliances for years and you can tell the manufacturer by the letters on the model #. There is a we site that hs them listed for kitchen appliances. Used to be that Whilpoor was their main one, but now they use several.

MaryAnna 06-28-2011 04:50 AM

Older Kenmores are fabulous, the newer ones, not so much. I had an old Kenmore that lastest 28 yrs! No one could refurbish it, so I bought a new one. Big mistake. It lasted 1.5 yrs and the worst sewing ever. The motor froze so the repair shop couldn't fix it. On the drive home, I stopped by the Bernina shop and luckily they were on sale, so I bought one. A friend also gave me her old White machine.
If you buy a Kenmore, buy an old one that has been refurbished. Otherwise skip Kenmore, save up and buy a Bernina- you won't regret it.
Blessings,
MaryAnna

romanojg 06-28-2011 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
Older Kenmores are fabulous, the newer ones, not so much. I had an old Kenmore that lastest 28 yrs! No one could refurbish it, so I bought a new one. Big mistake. It lasted 1.5 yrs and the worst sewing ever. The motor froze so the repair shop couldn't fix it. On the drive home, I stopped by the Bernina shop and luckily they were on sale, so I bought one. A friend also gave me her old White machine.
If you buy a Kenmore, buy an old one that has been refurbished. Otherwise skip Kenmore, save up and buy a Bernina- you won't regret it.
Blessings,
MaryAnna

I bought the kenmore/janome 19233 and I've had it for almost 2 years and it's been great. It's not finicky about what types of thread I use and it's been going non stop that whole time. I got the extended warranty from Sears and want to take it in just to be checked but can't stop using it long enough to do so. My old viking is in the shop and hopefully when I get it back it'll sew good and I can take my kenmore in to get a better cleaning than I can give it. I would buy another one in a heart beat. Like anything you buy; there are always a bad lemon in the batch and that's why I love extended warranties; just in case.
I bought the kenmore/janome

romanojg 06-28-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have butted in to tell many people looking at machines at Walmart to go check out what Sears had before buying. The portable Kenmores are so much better then the ones sold at Walmart. Sears local stores have unadvertised sales on the machines when they change models to carry in the store.

and at sears you can get the extended warranties that will cover for yearly maintenance (if you can give up your machine long enough) or any other problems that might come up. Piece of mind is a great thing to have; especially for something that is a big part of your life as our machines

Bill'sBonBon 06-28-2011 05:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have that very machine...model number is 385.19110.. I got it a yr. ago last Christmas.. I also have an older Kenmore..Model number 385.18836.. Love them both for different reasons.. PROS....Computer one is light easy to handle and has super slow speed which is SOOOOO good for piecing to get the quarter inch perfect.. I love its many stitches especially the serging and applique stitches.. I use it for piecing and light sewing..CONS.....It grinds to a halt if you try to go over a thick hem like hemming jeans..have to switch off and on to reset it.. Still love it for piecing and making top.. I would not use it to quilt haven't tryed but don't think it could handle the strain,being it grinds to a halt going over a jean hem..
The other Kenmore I believe I got it in 1999 for Christmas too..
PROS... It is a work Horse!!! I have put it thru Hell and back.. I can stuff a quilt thru it,push,pull it will take whatever I do to it and still keep going like the energizer Bunny. It doesn't have as many stitches..But my all time Fave. is the RickRack stitch.. I doesn't come to a halt of anykind but it will break a needle instead of stopping :thumbup: Jean Hems are nothing to it goes right over the humps. I have quilted a queen size quilt,hanging over to box springs,with High loft Poly batting and it took it.. :thumbup: CONS... It is HEAVY !! you don't take it to sit and sew at the guild meetings..It has only 2 speeds,guess I got spoiled to the SLOW for piecing.
So I use the computer one for piecing and I do love it as you will as long as you have one for thick sewing..it will go thru the hems until it gets to he seam humps on jeans..
I use the older for heavy duty sewing and quilting.. I am waiting for my camera to charge then will send a pictue of each.. Got them....BTW Janome makes Kenmore machines for Sears..

kenmore computer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217957[/ATTACH]

Kenmore oldie
[ATTACH=CONFIG]217958[/ATTACH]

romanojg 06-28-2011 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
I have that very machine...model number is 385.19110.. I got it a yr. ago last Christmas.. I also have an older Kenmore..Model number 385.18836.. Love them both for different reasons.. PROS....Computer one is light easy to handle and has super slow speed which is SOOOOO good for piecing to get the quarter inch perfect.. I love its many stitches especially the serging and applique stitches.. I use it for piecing and light sewing..CONS.....It grinds to a halt if you try to go over a thick hem like hemming jeans..have to switch off and on to reset it.. Still love it for piecing and making top.. I would not use it to quilt haven't tryed but don't think it could handle the strain,being it grinds to a halt going over a jean hem..
The other Kenmore I believe I got it in 1999 for Christmas too..
PROS... It is a work Horse!!! I have put it thru Hell and back.. I can stuff a quilt thru it,push,pull it will take whatever I do to it and still keep going like the energizer Bunny. It doesn't have as many stitches..But my all time Fave. is the RickRack stitch.. I doesn't come to a halt of anykind but it will break a needle instead of stopping :thumbup: Jean Hems are nothing to it goes right over the humps. I have quilted a queen size quilt,hanging over to box springs,with High loft Poly batting and it took it.. :thumbup: CONS... It is HEAVY !! you don't take it to sit and sew at the guild meetings..It has only 2 speeds,guess I got spoiled to the SLOW for piecing.
So I use the computer one for piecing and I do love it as you will as long as you have one for thick sewing..it will go thru the hems until it gets to he seam humps on jeans..
I use the older for heavy duty sewing and quilting.. I am waiting for my camera to charge then will send a pictue of each.. Got them....BTW Janome makes Kenmore machines for Sears..

I have the model that came after your first one; I love it. It's not too heavy to take to class. It has adjustable speeds and it sews and quilts w/ease. I always wanted a Viking emb; I think it is because of the beautiful dress in thier adds w/the embroidery on it. But after sewing w/my Kenmore/Janome I may go w/Janome when I upgrade my old Viking emb. I have also be intriqued by Janome too but with way my machine sews and isn't fussy about threads, etc I may get the Janome next time around. With extended warranty of course

melslove 06-30-2011 11:48 AM

Here is the same machine made by Janome, it looks identical to the kenmore only difference is name on it and the price.

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...9/product.html

sewmuch 06-30-2011 12:11 PM

I have 2 Janome machines and a serger, they are very good
machines=====