Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone remember? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-remember-t193851.html)

calla 07-07-2012 02:37 PM

I forgot but I now remember them too.......but didn't hey put a cut into the fabric so it could be ripped? calla

chickadeee55 07-07-2012 02:50 PM

So, I am not the only person feeling old remembering this. Those were the days, and they ripped the fabric after going through the machine. I used to go shopping with my mom for fabric when I was a little girl, a bus trip, lunch at the diner downtown and shopping every Wednesday, until I started school.

When I was at Joanns yesterday, I asked the clerk why they don't get to use electric sissors to cut the fabric instead of regular sissors, she said it was an OSHA thing. It just looks so ackward to watch them cut fabric, and they do not give you any extra, inventory control.
But thanks for the memories.

kathdavis 07-07-2012 02:58 PM

I used one when I worked for T G & Y in the fabric dept. If you did not put the fabric in just right, or if you tugged on the double knits too much, you did not get an accurate measurement.

Jingle 07-07-2012 03:55 PM

I too remember those measuring things, I remember when all department stores carried fabric. I was only sewing clothes for the most part then. I also remember the cotton those days were almost impossible to iron the wrinkles out. I loved the new wash and wear fabric I could buy and clothes. All cotton clothes got phased out quickly.

tesspug 07-07-2012 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 5346647)
I used one when I worked for T G & Y in the fabric dept. If you did not put the fabric in just right, or if you tugged on the double knits too much, you did not get an accurate measurement.

Oh my gosh. I remember T G & Y. I bought purple material for a shift in Home Ec. I had to rip that zipper out four times before my teacher passed it. No wonder I hate zippers.

KarenR 07-07-2012 04:08 PM

I remember them too.

pinecone 07-07-2012 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 5345134)
Wonder why they stopped using them too..

I worked at So-Fro and we had those machines. In the 70's they didn't measure the knit fabric accurately as it stretched going through the "wheels". We had to measure by the metal tape in the counter.

piney

pinecone 07-07-2012 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 5346364)
Used one when I worked at Sew-Fro fabrics back in the early 70's.

Me too, in Mass.

Jeanette Frantz 07-07-2012 05:23 PM

I sure remember those machines. And, I remember when Penney's had fabric. In fact, I purchased the fabric (lace over satin, full length) for my wedding dress at Penney's on my lunch hour, at a grand cost of $23. Those were the days! (what days I'm not really sure! LOL).

Jeanette Frantz

bakermom 07-07-2012 05:53 PM

I remember those! made a little cut then the fabric was torn!! those were also the days when the clerk had to get the patterns for you too. you didn't dare help yourself!

I learned to sew very young. My mom would let me sit at the counter and look thru the pattern books. I was occasionally allowed to pick out a pattern for a school dress. i remember some clerks were not too happy to have to get a pattern for a little girl. If they ignored me long enough I would get down and go behind the counter to get my own. That did not make them happy either!!