Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone remember? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-remember-t193851.html)

emlee51 07-07-2012 05:54 PM

I remember the machine, too...after they tugged and pulled the fabric through, wasn't there a handle or something they pushed to put the first cut in ithe fabric? Maybe I'm thinkin' of some other machine????

Silver Needle 07-07-2012 08:26 PM

I'd forgotten all about them. The ones I remember they pushed a lever that made a sort cut then they finished by ripping it.

Amythyst02 07-08-2012 02:48 AM

I remember these well, hmm making me feel quite old :D

athenascooter 07-08-2012 03:11 AM

I remember these machines also in our small town. They stopped using them when we started to use knit fabric. When they ran the fabric thru it would strecth and you didn't get the correct amount of fabric. With color it would make cutting our fabric faster but then again it probably would be cut wrong

quiltinghere 07-08-2012 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5345127)
I remember them in many stores that sold fabric (I am old enough to remember when Sears sold fabric, lol!)

ROFL - I think I may have some of that fabric!!!

Yes - I remember those machines. Did they cut or rip the fabric after taking the little nip in it?

pastorpatti04 07-08-2012 03:14 AM

I remember! Our Joanns has one for upholstery fabric. It would cut a little slice where they were to start cutting.

jitkaau 07-08-2012 03:38 AM

They are still used in warehouses to count off the metres before sending the fabric to the retailers.

Dodie 07-08-2012 03:51 AM

I to remember the machine when wards and penny's sold fabric they measured it msde a small cut and ripped the fabrix we also ripped the abric in home ec to straighten it now they cringe at the idea I think it all happened when polyester came out as it won't rip and cotton does sometimes I still straighten my fabric that way

coopah 07-08-2012 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by emlee51 (Post 5347062)
I remember the machine, too...after they tugged and pulled the fabric through, wasn't there a handle or something they pushed to put the first cut in ithe fabric? Maybe I'm thinkin' of some other machine????

Oh my gosh! Yes! There was a machine like that!!! I'd forgotten that totally!!

Steady Stiching 07-08-2012 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 5345128)
Oh yes! I remember those machines. It was fun to watch the clerk pull the fabric through.. then wiggle it back and forth to get the exact amount. Good memory! :cool:

I think they might have stopped using them because a certain small amount of fabric was uncounted because the graph didn't start counting right at the cut end. Hense a small amount was not getting paid for. Here's something.....do you remember when there was one inch left on a bolt they would give it to you for free...not now