Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone remember? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-remember-t193851.html)

DOTTYMO 07-08-2012 04:48 AM

Over in England they are used for measuring curtain fabric. Seen it being used in : Dunelm . Do you have one?

QuiltE 07-08-2012 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching (Post 5347719)
Here's something.....do you remember when there was one inch left on a bolt they would give it to you for free...not now

I've received a lot more than one inch free when they have cut to the end of the bolt.

PLus some of our stores give a 15% discount if you take all that's on a bolt, whether it be a full bolt, or just the bolt end.

Greenheron 07-08-2012 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by booklady (Post 5345684)
When they had the fabric at the right spot, they would push down a handle to cut a starting spot for the clerk to cut the fabric!

I loved those machines. Mother sewed beautifully and a trip to the L.S. Good department store was a treat. She selected pattern, fabric and notions and I had plenty of time to admire (and touch) the rainbow array of quality fabric. When cutting time arrived I was always at the edge of the table, fascinated by the dexterity of the saleslady. And the decorum of the transaction. Oh, how I longed to slip a yard or two through the magic measuring machine.

One of my first projects was doll clothes for my sister's little Ginny doll. I selected the pattern, just like Mother, and then searched for tiny scaled prints. How professionally and kindly the dear lady cut my 1/8 and 1/4 yard selections. I was shy about my tiny amounts but she treated me as if I were buying yards of silk and velvet. And she measured my bits on the machine.

Friday1961 07-08-2012 05:01 AM

Me, too! In fact, there was a woman who worked for our local Sears who made, for display in the fabric section, dresses for little girls, mostly in gingham with ruffles and lace. They were exquisitely made and always got a lot of attention from shoppers.

I had forgotten that until you mentioned fabric at Sears!

LadyCougar 07-08-2012 05:01 AM

I remember those days. I think it gave a more accurate cut of fabric because sometimes the people cutting do not pau attention.

LadyCougar 07-08-2012 05:02 AM

Of course that should say pay attention.

mary705 07-08-2012 05:05 AM

Wow, I remember those, and Cloth World and we had Mae's Fabric.

Rubesgirl 07-08-2012 05:06 AM

When I was in Charlottesville recently, I went to a fabric shop and they were still using that machine to measure their fabric! I was so surprised to see it. More accurate than using debatable measurements on a counter. Or worse, guessing at 1/2 yd because the clerk couldn't figure out that it was 18"!!

Friday1961 07-08-2012 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by kathdavis (Post 5346647)
I used one when I worked for T G & Y in the fabric dept. If you did not put the fabric in just right, or if you tugged on the double knits too much, you did not get an accurate measurement.

I still miss T G & Y! We had the best store here and I bought a lot of fabric there. I've mentioned that dollar stores have taken the place of five and dimes.....if only they would start selling fabric, too! ;-)

KathyE 07-08-2012 05:11 AM

Thanks for the memories! Oh....for the good ole' days.