Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does it ever bother you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-ever-bother-you-t100273.html)

Kitsie 02-16-2011 12:56 PM

I've done it and its beautiful! And so have a couple of others on the board. The fabrics come with it, or did when I got it several years ago.

I've done others, like my avatar, and am still getting compliments! It was a good way to learn to quilt. If you like it, do it!

Fabaddict 02-16-2011 02:09 PM

I like blocks of the month, but not the kits. I would much rather chose my own fabrics, colors etc. I have never bought a kit, and don't think that I ever would

Country1 02-16-2011 02:57 PM

You can always add your on flare to it, like sashing, extra blocks, borders, the way it's quilted,... This is the 2nd year I've gone and I take my mother with me, we meet new people, have show and tell, door prizes,... and can't wait to see how everyone's turns out. Although the blocks are basically the same, they all seem to have their own uniqueness to them. We are always learning new things and new tools. Love it.

gmaybee 02-16-2011 03:35 PM

I went on a quilt shop hop one time where you recieved one block at each store (9) and you could buy an additional block. Each store had the blocks done and each finished into a quilt. Not one quilt looked the same because they all designed the finished quilt different. I took pictures of each quilt as I went store to store. It was amazing that they used the same blocks, but set them different ways.

quilter1943 02-16-2011 03:43 PM

I've done one and got so bored with waiting for one block, then another, that it took me forever to finally get it all finished.

dorrell ann 02-16-2011 05:46 PM

I have never done one from a kit.Only the internet freebies!

Busy Bee 02-16-2011 05:54 PM

I have done a couple of BOMs in the past with a friend and my daughters. We all ended up with the exact same blocks and then it was up to us to get our own fabric for the settings. It is amazing how different they all turn out. some on point, sashing between, triple sashing between, lone star in center. List goes on.

koko 02-16-2011 06:36 PM

I've only bought in to one block of the month project - bought all 12 months, started the first block but the rest are sitting on a shelf to be done someday. They are applique and just seem to take so much time since there are so many little pieces. I think it made me realize I like folk art applique much better because the pieces are bigger and they seem to go quicker.

roselady 02-16-2011 10:38 PM

Yes it does. I have only bought one, and that was many years ago. It was an applique that used many, many fabrics and colors, so it would have meant buying lots and lots of small pieces of fabric to do it on my own. But I didn't use all of the fabrics sent to me, I changed it up. My aunt recently sent me a BOM set that she thought she would never get done. I love it, but I know I will exchanged some of the fabrics. I have to make it "mine".

Tropical 02-17-2011 12:47 AM

I want my quilts to be all my own so I have only used one pattern. I used my own choice of fabrics. I usually think about what I want and then make it up as I go along. It does get tricky when it comes to the math of the whole thing. I know how big I want the quilt to be and with my DH's help we figure it out as I go. So far so good.