Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does it ever bother you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-ever-bother-you-t100273.html)

Jeanniebelle 02-17-2011 06:18 AM

I have never done a Block of the month. If possible I would get the pattern and then go shopping for my fabric. I am like you I do not want to make a quilt that so many others are making. I feel that each person needs to express their individuality and creativity in such matters. Jeanniebelle

GammaLou 02-17-2011 06:28 AM

I started a BOM this year at my LQS. It is beautiful and will look great in my house. I don't care that others will have the same quilt because I will have made mine! I don't think that there are too many people who will see it and say oh it looks just like 'Mary's'. If they do, so what. I say go for it:thumbup:

Flapper 02-17-2011 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I sometimes use BOM pattern sets, but use my own fabrics. Also, I usually adapt sized to me preference even if it means rearranging the blocks. This won was supposed to be much bigger than the one I adapted.

What BOM is this? Are patterns still available? You did a beautiful job on choosing fabric. And I do like some BOMs, some I don't. This one is sooo pretty!

mhansen6 02-17-2011 06:48 AM

I have done several BOM and only finished one. I still have the rest of the blocks and I am trying to get to them.

bjgallent 02-17-2011 06:59 AM

I once did a block of the month for a quilted jacket. This one was by mail. I kept up monthly and then let it just sit for a year. You made a large quilted piece for the two fronts, back, two sleeves, and hood. Finally put it all together and really am happy with it.

GloBug 02-17-2011 07:17 AM

I enjoy doing the BOTM however I do my own fabric choice
I do not do mystery quilts. Guess I need to feel in control.
Good Luck. :D

createfourpaws 02-17-2011 07:18 AM

I only do BOM if I like the fabric and pattern. I dont worry about what others maybe doing.

I am currently doing the Rose of Sharon BOM. I love the colors.

katieranch 02-17-2011 07:29 AM

I have never done one from a kit. The one I did, we all picked our own fabrics and made the blocks. There are very few kits that I want to pay the price for so that I can have something just like several other peoples quilts! :thumbdown:

SandyQuilter 02-17-2011 07:39 AM

I make fabric changes and sometimes applique placement locations to the ones I make. It's relaxing for me to do the BOMs because I don't have to design anything (which I do, design quilts, that is.)

TexasGurl 02-17-2011 07:46 AM

I did a couple of BOM quilts a few years ago, one I loved doing with friends ... but the 2nd one ... we had problems with patterns & shorted fabric.
I haven't done one since ! A lot of BOM's are lovely but REALLY expensive !! I'd rather put MY choice of fabrics together with patterns. :)