Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does everyone pay... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-everyone-pay-t63102.html)

quilt3311 09-06-2010 04:12 AM

I try not to pay that much per yard, but occasionally will buy a piece, if it is absolutely the right fabric for a project. Usually wait for sales. Our LQS has a clearance area where the really nice stuff is about $7 a yard plus a section where there are bolts that are almost gone, where if you take whats left you get a hefty discount.
I once bought a yard at $18. It still gives me pleasure, I never cut it, just hung it up and look at it. Now isn't that nuts?

Extreme Quilter 09-06-2010 04:13 AM

I have only paid that much for fabric on rare occasions where I absolutely loved it, didn't want to risk waiting for a sale, and where I felt a certain degree of loyalty to the LQS. Otherwise, I learn to love something else.

mar32428 09-06-2010 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by ganny
Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.

Never, unless it's a particular color or pattern I need for a quilt soon to be in the makings. I buy cheap, cheap, cheap. Can't afford designer fabrics.

dmarcho 09-06-2010 04:28 AM

Not if I can help it and then only would buy what I absolutely had to have. I am a bargain hunter at heart.

HELLuvvANGEL 09-06-2010 04:32 AM

WM has the best Value ,obviously! All my LQS and the big J ( Joanns) are at or close to $10 a yard. I buy alot of fabric when i dont need it and without a project in mind, That way i plan a project with what i have on hand. Unless someone asks for something specific. Most people leave the choices to me since i know what they like and i majored in art, painting and was a int. dec. I know that color wheel backwards( if i turn around hehe)

katsewnsew 09-06-2010 04:38 AM

I always buy "On Sale" fabrics, clothes, anything. Never pay full price.

steelecg 09-06-2010 04:44 AM

I have paid $9 a yard, but I too like the sales. As for tools, what someone else said is right - if it is for quilters its more expensive. The article here was right - there are lots of alternative use of everyday things. Recently, a new ruler came out to use with tube quilts, but online there was a demo for using a 45 degree angle to accomplish the same thing.

Rainy Day 09-06-2010 04:45 AM

We have no choice to pay more than $9.00 a yard for anything half decent in Australia - unless we buy on line from the US

ausywa 09-06-2010 04:45 AM

wowyou get your matieral cheap if we want good fabric it goes to 25aus dollars a mtre

Derla 09-06-2010 04:46 AM

I have never paid that much for fabric. I do my shopping at a fabric outlet type of store - it charges less than that to begin with and then almost always is having sales. One just has to really be observant as to brand, quality etc.