Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone pay...

Blog Entries
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.
    I do if I really love it and know what I am going to use it on. But I prefer to find it on sale.

I always try to buy fabric that is on sale.
    :-O

Blog Entries
    I think $9/yd is a lot ... but I'll pay it if it's something I absolutely love!

I do if I really, REALLY like it. But I probably only pay that on only about 5% to 10% of what I buy. Everything else has to be discounted in some form or another.

Blog Entries
    Gosh! Was beginning to think I am really cheap. Never have paid over $7+ per yard and then try to get that on sale.

Blog Entries
    I've actually paid over $10/yd for fabric I really liked. There are many places online where you can buy the same brands for less money. But if you add in the shipping costs, sometimes it comes out about the same.

Blog Entries
    I try to buy it when it's on sale if it's that expensive, or I buy only the amount I need for a quilt I am already working on. I don't buy "stash" fabric at retail price.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gosh! Was beginning to think I am really cheap. Never have paid over $7+ per yard and then try to get that on sale.
    Ditto! I've only paid 9.00 a yd. once for my sons quilt. Usually I watch for sales.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Ive seen fabric going for $19/yd - Luckily those yelled at me and told me to go away! Whew!!

However, I'm always looking for a great deal and super bargains (between $1-$3 for stash building)for QS quality fabrics. Hardly ever pay more than $5/yd unless its a "I'll die without it" fabric for me..

I try not to. I can't think of a time when I have to be honest.

I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Not me!!! The most I have paid is $4.44 a yard. I can't afford the higher priced fabric's. The fabric I buy at wm is just good as the LQS fabric's.

Blog Entries
    I won't pay over $6 a yard for fabric. There are too many online quilt shops that have clearances and sales to pay full price for fabric. One fabric line from Northcott I had to have but I waited and found it later on clearance online for $4 a yard compared to $10 a yard when it first came out. If I had bought it when I first saw it it would still sitting on my shelf waiting for me to use it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
    Very true...fabric is way too expensive in Canada but I have found a small shop that sells for $8.95/metre . Up here that's a great price. Online fabric is cheaper but shipping costs are ferocious so it's expensive all the way around.

Blog Entries
    I have but rarely. Usually I wait on a good sale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Not me!!! The most I have paid is $4.44 a yard. I can't afford the higher priced fabric's. The fabric I buy at wm is just good as the LQS fabric's.
    They have some pretty good material in their quilting section.

I have paid over $10 a yard for fabrics. I do really try to wait for and find sales. But sometimes something really calls my name, or I need it for a project I have to work on and can't wait for a sale. I'm also one that I try to usually buy a little something from each quilt shop that I go into.

I have bought $9/yd fabric but I have never paid that for it!
    I vary rarely pay full price for anything other than MILK and bread! It can't be on sale EVERY week!

It depends. I just (reluctantly) paid $12.99 for some batik that I needed to finish a project. I use to buy a lot of Joann fabric but in the last year I've gotten away from their material a lot. Since I've been buying Moda, Benartex, Hoffman, etc. I've discovered that I don't care for the quality of Joann's Keepsake brand. I shop a lot online and try to get some bargains but if you want quality fabric you'll have to pay the price.

My rule of thumb is to always use coupons (the higher the percentage the better) and wait for sales, and shop online, but I broke my rule the other day and spent $10.50 for a yard of Kaffe Fassett's design at one of the too many LQS's around here - our Walmart does not carry fabric anymore. It is so beautiful I just can't stop looking at it. If I ever get over that, someday I will use it to make something for myself for a change of pace. How about patterns? Do you all spend the $9 at QS's or do you use free patterns, or buy a book and use it over and over if you find a favorite?

Blog Entries
    I have several magazine subscriptions, several books, and free patterns. I will NEVER get them all made. Drives me crazy. A person can only use one pattern at a time! What's the matter with me?

I have several magazine subscriptions, several books, and free patterns. I will NEVER get them all made. Drives me crazy. A person can only use one pattern at a time! What's the matter with me?
    I have so many books on quilting of all kinds that I would have to be 300 yrs. old to use them up. I don't need any more fabric either but I'm going on a shopping trip to Grand Rapids Michigan next weekend on a bus trip. Am I nuts or what !!!

Blog Entries
    I don't ever spend #9 a yard because I simply cannot buy it on a fixed income. I would love to, but I can't. I will buy things on sale from the LQS if they are clearance.

Blog Entries
    Yes I have- a lot more. Fabric is expensive in Australia. So far I have only made small things, and slowly, so it doesn't really make much difference. I value my time and I want what I make to be as beautiful as I can make it. That said, if I could find nice fabric cheap I would buy it! I am just getting into buying online now and for larger projects in particular it will make a big difference, even with shipping.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast