Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone pay...

I watch for ads and try to buy then. But if a fabric really calls to me I will pay regular price.

Oh yes but I don't have a lot of choice here.

Blog Entries
    Just a thought. Sometimes prices depend on the economy and wages. I had a SIL that lived in Alaska and things cost way more than in Idaho, but his wages were way than we could ever make here also.

Never!!!! hahahah

No... not on purpose, would have to be really special, have found one place in So Cal that has crazy reasonibly prices, but don't go often and it works fine. Buy what you can swing and don't worry about it being high dollar. Can still make prettys without breaking the bank. Just my opinion:)

Blog Entries
    Wow---that's cheap in England we pay anything from your $11 up over the average is about $13 +

I've never paid that much. The most I've ever paid is $2 for one fat quarter (so $8 a yard) and that was for something I'd never see again and just had to have because I knew a dear friend would love it. Other than that, I shop only on sale, with coupons, and/or my teacher's discount which is how I shop for everything else in my life. I just don't see why I should pay full-price for something when I could get it for less with a little planning/waiting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.

Yep, we pay AT LEAST $25 per metre, up to $35 per metre. $9 per yard? I'd be in seventh heaven. FQ's are at least $7 EACH!
    Oh, my goodness! Are your salaries that much higher, too? Hope so. :)

Blog Entries
    Well, this all makes me feel a little better about myself. I was beginning to think that all my quilts must be cheap!
    Thanks for the info.

i try not to pay that much. I have splurged on 1/4 or 1/2 yards that I felt I needed to make a special quilt.

Hi All,

Campion.... where do you get your fabrics??? I live in Bucks and have never paid less that 10.50 (which at present is $16.00) for any moda or similar fabrics.

I would love to pay $9.00.

Hugs

Blog Entries
    Caroline ---I have just paid 9 for a meter of Cream on white for a quilt and that was at The Quilters cupboard near Durham,sometimes at shows I can get material a bit cheaper.

I would too like to pay $9

Have you been to the quilt shop lately? The new fabric coming in is a minimum of 9.95 and up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by martha jo
    Have you been to the quilt shop lately? The new fabric coming in is a minimum of 9.95 and up from there.
    I was going to say, I was at both of our LQS's the other day and unless it's on clearance, everything is priced at right about $10.00/yd... and that's where the majority of my fabric comes from

I really try not to. I look in the clearance area, ask about sales or discounts, and then if I really love it I will. It's actually hard to find it as low as $9 a yard in a quilt store now. Seems like it's $9.50 or $10.00.

I have never paid over $4.00, but I'm still sort of new to quilting. When I make my memorial quilt price really won't be an option.

Blog Entries
    Probably those lucky enough to be able to shop quilt shops pay more for their material. Just like tools, if it is marked for "quilting", it will cost more. Someone said Walmart had material on sale for $1 this weekend. Hubby & I just got back from there. No $1 sale but I got over $30 worth of pretty good quilting fabric for $3.97/yd. Not the cotton you can see through either. Works for me.

Blog Entries
    No fabric at Wal-mart!

I don't know why cotton is so expensive, it is a plant for Pete's sake. You would think that with all the quilter's around buying fabric, that it would be reasonably priced since there must be a ton of it being sold every day. I must be missing something here.

No one ever said this was a cheap hobby. But if you love it enough you'll start cutting up shirts! Less laundry, right? ;)

I paid $9.99 for the glow-in-the-dark Fairy Frost fabric and didn't care a bit. It was something that I really, really wanted and so far I'm in the process of making three different quilts out of it. I've bought 4 or 5 yds all together. However, that's something that I try very hard not to do. Usually I use from my stash(which is enormous), buy on sale or from thrift stores, garage sales, etc. This past spring I bought huge amounts of fabric from a garage sale where each piece was 50 cents or 3 pcs for $1 no matter how much yardage was there.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
    Hi All,

Campion.... where do you get your fabrics??? I live in Bucks and have never paid less that 10.50 (which at present is $16.00) for any moda or similar fabrics.

I would love to pay $9.00.

Hugs
    Me too!! At the Festival of Quilts at the NEC recently I paid 27 for a Jelly Roll! in USA 2yrs ago I paid $11 for the same thing!

Blog Entries
    Moda jelly rolls are now $35 unless on sale.

Yes, I have paid that much for fabric. I usually try to buy most of mine on sale.

On occasion I have paid that much for fabric.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast