Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone pay...

Yes, I sometimes do. I really believe in supporting our LQS. In this economy I would hate it if they went under like so many other small businesses.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes, but seldom. I usually buy because I like it. Yesterday, I went to Joaan's Fabric for 1 yard of black cotton broadcloth. In addition, in my shopping spree, I bought the end of a bolt, 5 yards, of a piece I liked. This was all cotton 45 inches wide at $3.00 per yard. They had a 50% off fabric sale. The 5 yards cost me $1.50 per yard and the broadcloth also half priced originally $2.95 a yard. I left the store with 7.75 yards of fabric and a length of non-roll elastic for $11.52 including Taxes of $.95. I had to tell myself "Get out of this store or you will be broke." That is not all of my bargain hunting. Saturday I went to Salvation Army Thrift Store looking for a knick knack for Senior's monthly meeting. Just browse around when I'm in a thrift store. Walking dow the aisle of winter coats, I saw a coat that had the original J.C. Penny price tag on it. No less than $129.00 was the original price. I looked at SA price. $6.00. Was my size. I bought it. It was 75% down filled. Am I a good bargain hunter or what? I've been patting myself on the back for 2 days.

At the shop I work for the cottons start at $5m and go up to $16m. We always have a nice selection for $5, plus there is always a sale or coupon to bring the others down in price. FQs start at 1.50 up to $4.

I will pay just about anything for the right piece if
    1 - I'm using it right away.... not a stash builder
    2 - Must get some sort of discount.
    3 - There is nothing even close for cheaper

I know everywhere is getting expensive. Joanns is up to $9. a yard here, but since I won't go in there anymore, I don't have to worry about it. I find bargain fabric, at WM or other places and unless I have a purpose for it, I only buy stash yardage. That in itself is enough and I finally had to quit buying for that. Got embarrassed when I redid my fabric and saw how much I had, so no more stash buying. I try to make myself feel better by saying but some of that is for so and so quilt lol... NOT, I bought it for the stash...

So to answer question, no I won't pay that for it, even if I do like it.

Rita

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Not me!!! The most I have paid is $4.44 a yard. I can't afford the higher priced fabric's. The fabric I buy at wm is just good as the LQS fabric's.
    A girl after my own heart!

I usually buy at the LQS so I pay about $8-$9 yd. Also look for online bargains. We have had so many QS go out of business here that I like to give them as much business as I can. Besides, I think having a place that knows you and knows what you like is worth the few extra $$. I have actually had the owner call me and tell me there's a new fabric she thinks I'd like. Don't always buy it, but I like the personal touch. Also, if she gives a class and you have your own fabric, there is no pressure to buy from her. I like that, too. A lot of shops want you to buy everything from them.

So far I have been lucky because I have been able to use the stash that I built up with the many years that I have picked up things for sewing or when I was working at a fabric shop and it was on clearence and then 50 % of that. But I have payed almost $9 for those few fabrics that were for a speciality quilt like my ones for my eagle scouts and monopoly one. otherwise just call me frugal fannie.

Hi, O I whish I would be able to buy fabrics for $9 ( £ 6.oo ) here in Britain. You may be able to get some base fabrics for £ 6.00 or £7.00, but our prices are in the region of £10.00 to £15.00 per yard, about $15 to $22.
    As you can see, quilting is quite an expensive hobby here in Britain. Mad Gertie from Kent

It is really difficult to find good matl under $9/yd but watch for sales and on line adds

That is the going rate in all the quilt shops in Minnesota. You can find cheaper fabrics in Wal-Mart which are good for charity & kids quilts. Ben Franklin stores also have cheaper fabrics.

Connecting Threads has good prices & really good on shipping.Anyone ordering online $50.00 or mor there is no shipping. I never order that much! $20.00 or less is $3.29 shipping.

I am sure others have stated this already, but I'll jump in with my opinion. If you watch the LQS and the on-line stores for the closeout sales, you'll never need to pay full price for fabric. You must have a good eye for what will work together. You can't get "the whole line", when it first comes out, for a bargain price. I know that buying a "line" or "collection" of fabric make it easier to coordinated your quilts colors in a 'Garanimals' kind of way.

Build a stash of fabrics and then grab a pattern or idea and start looking through your stash to see what will work for that project.

Blog Entries
    You're not "cheap". I can't pay that amount for fabric and still feed my husband and a hungry DH is not a happy DH. Our local Marden's always have name brand fabric's from $2.49 to $3.99 per yard and that's where I get most of mine.

have a couple of LQSs here in the area - and don't think anyone has charged more than $8+change a yard...and then I even cringe. Everyone is right - if you gotta have it, then out comes the $$.

Not me! Most I ever spent was $7.95/yd. and that was reluctantly!

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    When I started repairing our vintage quilts, I thought I would buy flour/feed sacks since many were used in the quilts. When I saw the price $9-20 per sack which is not even a regular yard, I knew my Grannie would not be happy with me as she and my parents were very frugal. I buy at JoAnns with coupons and at WM.

Hi from Broken Arrow OK. Quilting fabric stores usually have a selection of fabrics 1/2 price off located in the backs of their stores. Since I love fabric I can usually find something I like. Also like others have responded if I have to have it I pay it but usually I don't. Get on a fabric store's mailing or email list so you know about upcoming sales and check back at a favorite fabric store every once in a while and you'll be surprised what is suddenly in the back of the store at 1/2 price. Also Hobby Lobby has their 40% off coupon about every other week and they also carry some great fabrics. Good luck. Check out fabrics.com or quiltinaday websites for some great buys.

QUILT SHOPS DO CARRY FABRIS WITH A HIGHER THREAD COUNT AND YOU CAN FEEL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE FABRIC. iN MY AREA WE ARE FORTUNATE TO HAVE A QUILT STORE THAT SENDS OUT A NEWSLETTER WITH COUPONS ATTACHED

Wal-mart's my closest shopping for material, so I don't pay $9/yd. When I visit JoAnns I usually watch for the sales, $6.99/yd is my most expensive purchase. I have been to quilt shops and have bought very little material, I have to really love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead
    When I started repairing our vintage quilts, I thought I would buy flour/feed sacks since many were used in the quilts. When I saw the price $9-20 per sack which is not even a regular yard, I knew my Grannie would not be happy with me as she and my parents were very frugal. I buy at JoAnns with coupons and at WM.
    Those of you that still have a Wal-Mart that sells fabric are very fortunate. I donít. I feel I need to support the LQS's or they will go away also...and having no fabric stores would....well, that is UNTHINKABLE. I hesitate buying fabric online as I donít know the quality and most of all I do not know who is reputable. (If some of you could recommend some sites that you know are reputable, I sure would appreciate it.) So, often I have no choice but to pay the $10/yd. Yes, I could go to Joanne's and do so reluctantly. So often I cannot find what I want there. So, until I retire I will support the LQS's but I probably donít buy as much fabric as most of you because I do work full time and not as much time for sewing as I would like. Please share the websites you all purchase fabric from that are honest people.

Usually only buy mark downs that run 40% off and 50% off if you buy what ever is on the bolt. There a lot of beautiful fabrics, top quality fabric lines, and I am addicted. These I find at my LQS which I frequent much too often. Oh, well could have worse addictions

I'm w/cjomomma. Just yesterday I picked up fabric at ww for 2.97yd that was for their sept pattern and also fabric for 4.44 that i needed for my daughter's quilt that i'm working on. only on a couple of occassions did i really have to go to my LQS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.

Yep, we pay AT LEAST $25 per metre, up to $35 per metre. $9 per yard? I'd be in seventh heaven. FQ's are at least $7 EACH!
    I knew someone from Australia would chime in.
    I was in Tasmania this summer and had to go to a LQS. I almost fell down when I saw the price of fabric was $29.00 a meter.
    Even so I had to buy a few FQ of Aborigional print to make a small wall hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Well, this all makes me feel a little better about myself. I was beginning to think that all my quilts must be cheap!
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm so glad you wrote this. Like you, I don't pay LQS prices. There are so many beautiful fabrics available at other places. Like so many others, I look for sales and stock up when possible.

Your work is beautiful and the fabrics lovely as well. Be proud of what you create and share with so many.

I am not good at picking out colors so I usually go to a quilt shop where I know I can get help. I can't get that at Joanne's , Hancock or Walmart. My favorite shop NEVER has sales but they have a great selection of fabrics. I make mostly baby quilts so I don't spend that much at a time. So , yes I pay over $9.00 a yard.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast