Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone pay...

I am boycotting those prices as much as possible. It is a real 'Catch 22" situation. If we don't support our LQS they might go out of business but I just cannot justify those prices. I do have a substantial stash to pull from so any fabrics I buy are mostly luxury expenses, not really needed.

That said, I do buy on sales. I figure anything I love i might pay more for, its a free choice. But, otherwise I will shop for the cheapest price. I do buy only quiltshop quality, though.

My maximum upper limit is about $6 a yard (and if I buy online, I figure about a dollar a yard shipping on top of their prices. I will buy more if it is $3-4 a yard.

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.

I recently paid about that much on a special order fabric for a customer. Now I will use what I need to on her order and charge her for the finished item (pre agreeded price) and I will use the rest. It is a large graphic/print that needs to be centered on the item. It is a repeate print and the fabric store told me how much I needed for the project. Normally I would not have ever paid that much but it is what she chose and by golly, I will find a way to use it. I am probably the most frugal person I know.

You must be a professional quilter?

Quote Originally Posted by fmd36
    I recently paid about that much on a special order fabric for a customer. Now I will use what I need to on her order and charge her for the finished item (pre agreeded price) and I will use the rest. It is a large graphic/print that needs to be centered on the item. It is a repeate print and the fabric store told me how much I needed for the project. Normally I would not have ever paid that much but it is what she chose and by golly, I will find a way to use it. I am probably the most frugal person I know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Just a thought. Sometimes prices depend on the economy and wages. I had a SIL that lived in Alaska and things cost way more than in Idaho, but his wages were way than we could ever make here also.
    Agree. The cost of living varies along with the economy and prices that are beyond the local market will drop or businesses will close. Unfortunately the rise of globalization is making it hard for local businesses to compete against that larger market.

My thought? You get what you pay for. When I pay less than the going rate for fabric ($15 - $22/m) the quality is less.

I think we can get some really good bargains and still pay less than full price.

My problem is that I am like a "kid in a candy store" when I see new fabric I want it all!! My solution? Stay out of the 'candy store' and know that when I do go in, I will probably find something to buy, so go with a budget and do not go over.

Easier said than done, but its working so far. I am selling some of my fabrics, too. (look a the topic log for Corky seller) That frees up some $$ and room.

Quote Originally Posted by b.zang
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Just a thought. Sometimes prices depend on the economy and wages. I had a SIL that lived in Alaska and things cost way more than in Idaho, but his wages were way than we could ever make here also.
    Agree. The cost of living varies along with the economy and prices that are beyond the local market will drop or businesses will close. Unfortunately the rise of globalization is making it hard for local businesses to compete against that larger market.

My thought? You get what you pay for. When I pay less than the going rate for fabric ($15 - $22/m) the quality is less.

Far from it...it was not a quilt she asked for but something else that needed to be sewn . It was for the chemo support group.
    The fabric they chose was wildlife - almost like a panel. Even though it is yardage, I am going to try to use the central theme for the things they want. I should have plenty of fabric to make a tote bag for the patient...a gift from me to her...no charge.

Good deal!!

Quote Originally Posted by fmd36
    Far from it...it was not a quilt she asked for but something else that needed to be sewn . It was for the chemo support group.
    The fabric they chose was wildlife - almost like a panel. Even though it is yardage, I am going to try to use the central theme for the things they want. I should have plenty of fabric to make a tote bag for the patient...a gift from me to her...no charge.

That reminds me, I shop on-line, Fabric.com, and have a friend who lives near Mary Jos in Gastonia, NC. MJ has had other shops in the Charlotte area dis her, but she smiles and says it's America and I can set my prices to suit me and the sewing world. If you go there, take a list. Her on-line store is not so economic.

I love Fabric.com, especially the free shipping ($35 minimum)

So you are saying that the owner is Mary Jo?

I would love to visit in person!!

Quote Originally Posted by sjhughson
    That reminds me, I shop on-line, Fabric.com, and have a friend who lives near Mary Jos in Gastonia, NC. MJ has had other shops in the Charlotte area dis her, but she smiles and says it's America and I can set my prices to suit me and the sewing world. If you go there, take a list. Her on-line store is not so economic.

I guess I'm cheap, I do not like to pay that much for fabric.
    I try to get it on sale, I think 6$ is a lot but I have paid that for some disney fabric.

The average for good quality fabric in one of the shops I go to in Belfast is around 9.50 which is almost $15 I think. I found a great shop in Wales who sell through the internet and even with postage the fabric is cheaper. I'm gathering up good quality cotton shirts just now, just 1 each... Also when Ikea has nice duvet covers on sale I have started to buy the odd one , they are just the right size for backing a quilt and I can use the other side as extra fabric for something else.

Most of the new batiks I see online are $11 - $13 per yard. If there is a new batik I love, I'll pay it but I'm still using what I shipped here from Bali. I pay that much for M & S Textiles Aboriginal fabric because it's so hard to find and I'll pay that for Kaffe Fassett fabric if I have to!

hi there, newbie here from Arkansas, love all of the chat and information, pictures, etc.

Buying fabric is addicting!! I found a Wal Mart in Jackson that still has fabric by the yard woohoo. I jumped for joy. The highest price was 9.99 for upholstery fabric.

I agree that fabric in Canada is way to expensive so I buy most of my fabric online. If you are careful about where you buy it from and watch the amount you buy you can reduce the shipping costs per yard. I have a company in California who puts 9 yards in a flat rate envelope so I always wait and buy the full 9 yards at one time. Her prices are very good and with only a little over a dollar per yard extra for shipping I still save over half what I would have to pay in Canada for similar fabric. Batiks around here average $18 to $22 metre (39") and the quality is no better than what I can buy online.

I don't pay anymore than I have to. Check out Connecting Threads, some very good prices there, fabric is 100% cotton and very good quality.

Blog Entries
    I am living on a fixed income and never pay full price for fabric. I just can't afford to. I live in an area populated by quilter's who buy fabric, then change their minds and sell it at garage sales, thank the lord. If I could afford to spend more on fabric I would, I am just very grateful not to have to. My name is Kelly, and I am a fabriholic....LOL!

i have never paid that much but one day i wondered in a local quilt shop and her prices were outrageous 10 dollars and up on fabric , i looked and drooled at the fabric but could not justify the price, about 3 months later i saw an add in the paper , a local quilt shop had closed up and the owner was having a sale of the left over material at a warehouse, i went and omg it was the same quilt shop i visited her material was now on sale for 30% off i looked and still didnt want to spend that much she had rooms of fabric leftover, couple weeks later there was another sale in the paper , i went and sure enough it was the same lady, rooms of fabric $2.00 a yard omg i was in hog heaven i bought yard and yards of it .

I stared out using cheaper fabric from Joanns but I soon discovered that most of the time you get what you pay for. Now I shop quilt shops and quilt shows. My stash grows more slowly but the color and feel of the fabric is so much better. The only exception to this rule is batik, fleece, flannel, and oilcloth. The better fabrics are so much easier to work with and they produce a much nicer quilt.:)

No, I shop around and use coupons whenever possible, look for new material at thrift stores or garage sales. You be surprised what you can find in this places. All the material, that I have bought in this places has been put to good use.

I'm lucky enough to live within a 2 hour ride to Lancaster County where all the quilt shops there are in the $6 range. I do however try to buy something every month to keep my LQS in business. I will not buy online unless I have previously seen the fabric and am familiar with the colors as every computer monitor is different.

Just my 2 cents, but wm fabric is not anywhere near as good as LQS fabric.

I was surprised to find that JoAnns Fabric has fabric that is nearly as expensive as Quilt Store Fabric. I always watch for sales on the fabrics I love at Quilt Shops.

Blog Entries
    No. I do not pay top of the line prices for fabric. Someday, there may be a special quilt that I do shop top of the line for. I enjoy learning. It doesn't break my heart to make a mistake on my quilt if the fabric was a lower price. I have to learn. I need to enjoy learning. It is not supposed to be stressful.
    No. I do not. I love my quilting.

Same down here in Oz, most of my fabric is between $22/26 a metre. I sometimes buy from $2/8 a metre as well but then only if I am happy with the quality of the fabric. Some of the cheaper fabrics are quite thin to the extent you can see through them and if I am going to all this time and effort to make something that will last the distance then I want to start off with quality in the first place.

Am so envious of all your different themed fabrics over there, the animals and winter ones are wonderful and of course the price looks good :lol: Just saw the Thomas Kincade village fabric which is on sale and am so tempted to see if they will ship international.

I digress, getting back to what you were talking about - my friend seldom buys anything unless it is less than $10 a metre so your not alone.

Maybe1day

I try to find it on sale especially for backs but, yes, I have paid over $9.00 a yard. Even over $10 on one occasion.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast