Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone pay...

If I have a very specific project in mind, I might. I generally wait until the seasonal sales at my favourite shop, though, and stock up. :)

Power Poster
    No I always wait for sales etc. Don't like to pay that much unless it is absolutely the greatest fabric I have ever seen.

No I have never or will ever pay that much for material. & I go in to quilt shops all the time I wait till material goes on sale & it will

I love batiks, which are often $10 or more, even at the "cheaper" stores. I try to find good quality fabric on sale, by having online sources and watching for sales at quilt stores in my area. I also buy fabric on sale at non-quilt shops when I can feel it and check its quality.

I used to always buy only inexpensive or sale fabric, but now I don't want to spend a lot of time working on something that might always be wrinkled, frayed, see-through, faded, or falling apart. I honor my work with quality supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzler
    I love batiks, which are often $10 or more, even at the "cheaper" stores. I try to find good quality fabric on sale, by having online sources and watching for sales at quilt stores in my area. I also buy fabric on sale at non-quilt shops when I can feel it and check its quality.

I used to always buy only inexpensive or sale fabric, but now I don't want to spend a lot of time working on something that might always be wrinkled, frayed, see-through, faded, or falling apart. I honor my work with quality supplies.
    I LOVE your line "I honor my work with quality supplies". Yeah!!

Dee
    I have paid 15.00, but that was for a special dress. Otherwise I buy online and at Joaans, on sale.

I pretty much just shop at Hancocks or online. I wait for Hancocks to go on sale for 40% or50% off. I find that 1,000s of bolts is pretty reasonable also Conecting Threads.

All the quilt shops/fabric stores in my area have on average $8 - $10.00 a yard fabric. JoAnn's has cheaper fabric but you can tell a difference in quality. Connecting Threads on line has great fabric. They just lowered their regular price on prints to $4.96 a yard and solids to $3.96 a yard. They have a new line of batiks and they are priced at %5.96 a yard.

I have ordered fabrics from this company and there were fabulous!

Depends where you live. It costs $21 - $26 on average in Australia, with the occasional cheapie or when on sale, and I've seen it at $75 in the 'speciality' quilt shops...

Absolutely NOT! I'd just as soon wait until it goes on sale for $3.50-4.95/yd. Since I prefer mostly scrappy quilts, having the "latest" fabric means little to me. One time I bought a yard of a Halloween fabric I had been looking for, which was $7.95, and even that was really irksome. We're not stingy... we're what the Scots call "mingy" - somewhere between frugal and stingy. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. :)

I was excited to see Connecting Threads batiks and ordered half yards of a whole selection. I found the fabrics quite beautiful, but much thinner than usual batik fabrics. This would be good if all the fabrics in a quilt are from Connecting Threads, since quilting would be easier. But, they would not mix well with fabrics from other sources. At the same time, I ordered batiks on sale from three other sources. I found that the colors on Connecting Threads website did not match the real fabrics. I would have blamed my monitor, but the fabrics I ordered from three other sources matched the online colors perfectly.The threads I ordered were considerably darker than they appeared on the screen.

My daughter had purchased fabric earlier from Connecting Threads and found very different surface smoothness in several fabrics from the same line of prints.

I'm not sure whether I'll buy from them in the future.

I rarely pay so much for fabric. It's too easy to find sales, mark-downs, specials & those 40-50% off coupons really help. Usually find something I like if I shop around. Maybe if I were to want a special fabric I might buy, say a yard at $9.00, but no more than that.

How do those of you who live in Canada, England, Australia, etc. manage to purchase fabric at all? I'd have to go back to using old clothing, etc. if I had to pay those prices for fabric. I've seen some of those fabrics though, and they are exquisite. social Security retirement just doesn't make allowances for my fabric stash.

Blog Entries
    When I was working I bought up bolt ends and remnents.. So I have a big stash.. of course it doesn't have much of anything over a yard or two... so I mostly make scrap quilts and try to make due with what I have... I have made dozens of quilts, kept some, given many.. I'll use the fabric I have and the patterns I have and then I guess I'll be done. How many quilts away from being done am I?? pretty far.. Seems like no matter how much sewing I do I still have a ton of fabric.. so I try to spend nothing at all.. backings are the biggest problem.. I've seen lots of people just sew pieces of fabric together until it's big enough for the back.. but somehow that doesn't appeal to me... so I am still buying backings..

I don't want to put a damper on things, but I sure hope those who do not buy at your LQS never go and ask advise of the owner or their employees.

Blog Entries
    As Aussie Quilter and jitkaau said between $20 & $30 here in Australia. I don't pay that much as I give my quilts away.I have bought a lot of fabric from the States and it averages out to $8 per yard. That includes postage.
    I do check out Spotlight sales and have picked up some bargains at time. I prefer to buy from U.S.A though as there is a wider range of kids fabric to be had. As most of my quilts go to kids charity I like to use bright prints. In fact the brighter the better.

I have if I really like it. I certianly try to get it on sale. Just started seeing fabric for $10.00 to $10.50 recently at a Quilt Store...The owner said it will go up again pretty soon. So sorry to hear that!!

Nope very rarely like everyone else. http//www.5bucksayard.com and http/www.thousandsofblots.com

And Missouri Star Quilt Company (my favorite) shipping only 5 bucks!

Nope, not ever, no way!! I think the most I have ever paid is $5.00 a yard, and then only for small amounts of something very special. I'm a thrift store, clearance sale, yard sale, etc. shopper. I start collecting fabrics for a project way ahead of time and work on other things until I have enough collected to do the next one. Most of my projects are scrappy for this reason.
    I don't mind tho, I see it as a fun challenge finding the fabrics I want/need for a certain project. It is also a challenge to my creativity when I have to make do with what I have been able to find.

amen sista gul! wm is my main place to buy fabric too!

Yes. I have learned the hard way that cheap fabric fades, shrinks funny and the weave is loose.

I can't and won't pay 9.00 a yard for material. I have never seen any that I thought was that pretty too pay that price. Poor folks can't pay 5.00 a yard much less 9.00 a yard. I really can't see why material would have too be that high priced anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
    Very true...fabric is way too expensive in Canada but I have found a small shop that sells for $8.95/metre . Up here that's a great price. Online fabric is cheaper but shipping costs are ferocious so it's expensive all the way around.
    I'm Canadian as well, and I agree - the prices here are out of this world. I often order online. But then, the other day I ordered some fabric from an American website (Oregon) that came out to $55.98. The shipping was an additional $16.56. So I assumed my final price was $72.54. They sent it by UPS, and when the UPS guy came to the door, he told me I would have to pay him $41.07!!!!! for the UPS brokerage fee. (That's on top of the $72.54 I had already paid!) So it turned out to be VERY expensive fabric.

I called the fabric company in Oregon, to suggest to them that they might consider sending fabric by express post envelopes, rather than UPS when sending to Canada.

www.thousandsofbolts.com has great prices for fabric and its all quilt shop quality.

I haven't been to the quilt shop in months, can't drive yet since I'm still in a boot splint for a broken ankle. All healed.
    I've got a huge stash, so I don't buy fabric very often.

I learned that the hard way too gaillynne. I bought a very nice fabric for quilt backing from the $2 section at Wal-Mart
    long ago and the first washing was okay, but when I washed the finished quilt; I was horrified to see white spots everywhere. The dye had come off. I wanted to cry, I'd put so much work into the top too.

Quote Originally Posted by gaillynne
    Yes. I have learned the hard way that cheap fabric fades, shrinks funny and the weave is loose.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast