Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone pay... >

Does everyone pay...

Does everyone pay...

Old 09-06-2010, 03:46 PM

I'm lucky enough to live within a 2 hour ride to Lancaster County where all the quilt shops there are in the $6 range. I do however try to buy something every month to keep my LQS in business. I will not buy online unless I have previously seen the fabric and am familiar with the colors as every computer monitor is different.

Just my 2 cents, but wm fabric is not anywhere near as good as LQS fabric.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:57 PM

I was surprised to find that JoAnns Fabric has fabric that is nearly as expensive as Quilt Store Fabric. I always watch for sales on the fabrics I love at Quilt Shops.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:57 PM

No. I do not pay top of the line prices for fabric. Someday, there may be a special quilt that I do shop top of the line for. I enjoy learning. It doesn't break my heart to make a mistake on my quilt if the fabric was a lower price. I have to learn. I need to enjoy learning. It is not supposed to be stressful.
No. I do not. I love my quilting.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:04 PM

Same down here in Oz, most of my fabric is between $22/26 a metre. I sometimes buy from $2/8 a metre as well but then only if I am happy with the quality of the fabric. Some of the cheaper fabrics are quite thin to the extent you can see through them and if I am going to all this time and effort to make something that will last the distance then I want to start off with quality in the first place.

Am so envious of all your different themed fabrics over there, the animals and winter ones are wonderful and of course the price looks good :lol: Just saw the Thomas Kincade village fabric which is on sale and am so tempted to see if they will ship international.

I digress, getting back to what you were talking about - my friend seldom buys anything unless it is less than $10 a metre so your not alone.

Maybe1day
Old 09-06-2010, 04:24 PM

I try to find it on sale especially for backs but, yes, I have paid over $9.00 a yard. Even over $10 on one occasion.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 PM

If I have a very specific project in mind, I might. I generally wait until the seasonal sales at my favourite shop, though, and stock up. :)
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

No I always wait for sales etc. Don't like to pay that much unless it is absolutely the greatest fabric I have ever seen.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM

No I have never or will ever pay that much for material. & I go in to quilt shops all the time I wait till material goes on sale & it will
Old 09-06-2010, 04:40 PM

I love batiks, which are often $10 or more, even at the "cheaper" stores. I try to find good quality fabric on sale, by having online sources and watching for sales at quilt stores in my area. I also buy fabric on sale at non-quilt shops when I can feel it and check its quality.

I used to always buy only inexpensive or sale fabric, but now I don't want to spend a lot of time working on something that might always be wrinkled, frayed, see-through, faded, or falling apart. I honor my work with quality supplies.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by puzzler
I love batiks, which are often $10 or more, even at the "cheaper" stores. I try to find good quality fabric on sale, by having online sources and watching for sales at quilt stores in my area. I also buy fabric on sale at non-quilt shops when I can feel it and check its quality.

I used to always buy only inexpensive or sale fabric, but now I don't want to spend a lot of time working on something that might always be wrinkled, frayed, see-through, faded, or falling apart. I honor my work with quality supplies.
I LOVE your line "I honor my work with quality supplies". Yeah!!