Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone pay... >

Does everyone pay...

Does everyone pay...

Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 PM

As Aussie Quilter and jitkaau said between $20 & $30 here in Australia. I don't pay that much as I give my quilts away.I have bought a lot of fabric from the States and it averages out to $8 per yard. That includes postage.
I do check out Spotlight sales and have picked up some bargains at time. I prefer to buy from U.S.A though as there is a wider range of kids fabric to be had. As most of my quilts go to kids charity I like to use bright prints. In fact the brighter the better.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:38 PM

I have if I really like it. I certianly try to get it on sale. Just started seeing fabric for $10.00 to $10.50 recently at a Quilt Store...The owner said it will go up again pretty soon. So sorry to hear that!!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:41 PM

Nope very rarely like everyone else. http//www.5bucksayard.com and http/www.thousandsofblots.com

And Missouri Star Quilt Company (my favorite) shipping only 5 bucks!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Nope, not ever, no way!! I think the most I have ever paid is $5.00 a yard, and then only for small amounts of something very special. I'm a thrift store, clearance sale, yard sale, etc. shopper. I start collecting fabrics for a project way ahead of time and work on other things until I have enough collected to do the next one. Most of my projects are scrappy for this reason.
I don't mind tho, I see it as a fun challenge finding the fabrics I want/need for a certain project. It is also a challenge to my creativity when I have to make do with what I have been able to find.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM

amen sista gul! wm is my main place to buy fabric too!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:48 PM

Yes. I have learned the hard way that cheap fabric fades, shrinks funny and the weave is loose.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:05 PM

I can't and won't pay 9.00 a yard for material. I have never seen any that I thought was that pretty too pay that price. Poor folks can't pay 5.00 a yard much less 9.00 a yard. I really can't see why material would have too be that high priced anyway.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
Very true...fabric is way too expensive in Canada but I have found a small shop that sells for $8.95/metre . Up here that's a great price. Online fabric is cheaper but shipping costs are ferocious so it's expensive all the way around.
I'm Canadian as well, and I agree - the prices here are out of this world. I often order online. But then, the other day I ordered some fabric from an American website (Oregon) that came out to $55.98. The shipping was an additional $16.56. So I assumed my final price was $72.54. They sent it by UPS, and when the UPS guy came to the door, he told me I would have to pay him $41.07!!!!! for the UPS brokerage fee. (That's on top of the $72.54 I had already paid!) So it turned out to be VERY expensive fabric.

I called the fabric company in Oregon, to suggest to them that they might consider sending fabric by express post envelopes, rather than UPS when sending to Canada.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 PM

www.thousandsofbolts.com has great prices for fabric and its all quilt shop quality.

I haven't been to the quilt shop in months, can't drive yet since I'm still in a boot splint for a broken ankle. All healed.
I've got a huge stash, so I don't buy fabric very often.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 PM

I learned that the hard way too gaillynne. I bought a very nice fabric for quilt backing from the $2 section at Wal-Mart
long ago and the first washing was okay, but when I washed the finished quilt; I was horrified to see white spots everywhere. The dye had come off. I wanted to cry, I'd put so much work into the top too.

Originally Posted by gaillynne
Yes. I have learned the hard way that cheap fabric fades, shrinks funny and the weave is loose.