Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Does everyone pay...

Blog Entries
    I watch Walmart for the occaisional chintz that I like to work with.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    Most of my fabrics are batiks and that is the usual cost per yard. Sometimes more! And I heard fabric is going up in price (oh no!).

You really have to watch out about the shipping when getting things to Canada. I always make sure that anyone I buy from is willing to use USPS and not UPS. I very seldom have to pay any extra charges for duty even when I have ordered bolts of fabric. I have also never had anything go astray with USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
    Same here in Australia. We are paying up to and including $24 per meter. But I try and get it for $10-15 at two of my favorite shops unless they have fabric for 1/2price then i try to get what is used more like greens blues,browns etc. You in USA are lucky to have fabric so cheap compared to us.

Quote Originally Posted by sew n' sew
    I have if I really like it. I certianly try to get it on sale. Just started seeing fabric for $10.00 to $10.50 recently at a Quilt Store...The owner said it will go up again pretty soon. So sorry to hear that!!
    From what I have heard the rising costs are due to weather around the world being not the best for crops. Wheat will definitely go up with the problems in Russia and Egypt. Then of course the cost of shipping usually figures in...and business must make a profit (not a dirty word) or close. And that is not a pretty prospect.

Fabric in our area is 9 to 10+ a yard now...the fabric companies are charging them more and they have to pass the cost onto us on top of their shipping rates have gone out the roof....I consider the quality of the fabric....and I am all for keeping my LQS in business...I want her there when I need her...my dh and I travel alot and there are places that pay alot more then us here...blessings

[quote=canuckninepatch][quote=watson's mom]
    I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
    I too am Canadian:lol:, and have learned the hard and expensive way to NEVER use UPS when ordering something from the US. I always use USPS (United States Postal Services).

UPS has manages somehow to make themselves a:thumbdown: broker for the border and can charge you whatever :evil: they want :evil: when sending stuff across the border, PLUS :evil: their fee. Now they NEVER tell you this up front, but he :twisted: cost can be astronomical!
    TreeFrog

Blog Entries
    I pay $9 a yard if I really love the material. When I start a project I go to my stash first and see if I have what I'm looking for and if I can build my quilt from there. If I can get a good start I add the new stuff. Most LQS in my area charge at least that, sometimes as much as $12/yard. I am getting ready to go to Pacific International Quilt Show in Oct and I know the prices are going to be $9 or close to it.
    So I try to be very selective and will sometimes buy only 1/2 yard pieces.

except for vacations, never!

I've paid that much on occasion, if it's a fabric I REALLY really love - or something I needed desperately to finish a top. Otherwise, I shop the sales at my LQS and online, esp for borders & backings. Also trying to use more of my stash & make more scrap quilts !!

Blog Entries
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by aussie croydon
    Here in Australia it is normal to pay anything between $20.00 to $26.00 a metre. I have a look at the fabrics that I like here then I google the fabric online and normally with postage pay around $10.00 US a yard instead. So it is a much cheaper option for me.
    It's normal to pay that amount for a meter to. But in Europe and especially the Netherlands it can be a problem ordering fabrics in the US. We have to pay a lot of taxes then so only when you get the shippings costs very low you get the fabrics cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterfly
    How do those of you who live in Canada, England, Australia, etc. manage to purchase fabric at all? I'd have to go back to using old clothing, etc. if I had to pay those prices for fabric. I've seen some of those fabrics though, and they are exquisite. social Security retirement just doesn't make allowances for my fabric stash.
    It just harder to build up your stash and when I don't have to use it for a swap I buy most of the time other fabrics then quilting fabs. On the market I can get nice and good cottons thats originally for making clothes for 4 to 10 dollars a meter. I also use the cotton fabrics from IKEA.
    Because of the bad economy lots of quilt shops closed their doors. In that case I buy a whole bunch of real quilting fabrics when it's on sale. But my stash whit real quilting fabs is quite small.
    So only for swaps and special quilts I use real quilting fabrics. :)
    ( and yes I use old clothes and linnen too :) )

[quote=3TreeFrog][quote=canuckninepatch]
    Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom
    I too am Canadian:lol:, and have learned the hard and expensive way to NEVER use UPS when ordering something from the US. I always use USPS (United States Postal Services).

UPS has manages somehow to make themselves a:thumbdown: broker for the border and can charge you whatever :evil: they want :evil: when sending stuff across the border, PLUS :evil: their fee. Now they NEVER tell you this up front, but he :twisted: cost can be astronomical!
    TreeFrog
    Why not write an article about it, for Helium or about.com?

canuckninepatch: That is terrible that UPS charged that. Where I live, they are not allowed too accept any money for any of us. I think I would be checking into that. They may be pocketing the money. Gosh I just never heard of such!

We ship only USPS Priority Mail

INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING - We ship GLOBAL Priority Mail up to 7 Yards in a Flat Rate Envelope ($12.30) to all applicable foreign countries (per www.usps.com). For 7-14 yards, we ship 2 flat rate envelopes. 14 - 21 yards we ship 3 Flat Rate Envelopes.

CANADA & MEXICO - USPS now has the Priority Mail Flat Rate Box, which holds up to 24 yards of fabric. The charge is $25. We still do up to 7 yards for $10.45 in a flat rate envelope.

USA (all 50 states) - Domestic Shipping Prices
    Order Amount Shipping
    up to 7 yards $4.95 via Priority Mail

7.25-24 yards $10.35 via Priority Mail

SPECIAL PRICING 24+ yards $13.95 via Priority Mail

PLEASE NOTE: I do not track boxes nor provide tracking numbers. I do this to keep the shipping costs down for all of you. I request that everyone wait at least one week from receipt of your shipping notice before contacting me. Please check with your postman too in case the box was left with a neighbor or is at your post office.

$2.99 or Less $3.99 or Less A Yard 54 Inch Moda Fabric Freespirit Westminster Holiday Kona Bay Marcus Brothers MODA Fabrics Projects & Pictures RJR Fabrics Shipping Information Home View Cart Check Out Newsletter Signup Contact Us Links Privacy Returns About Us Site Map

THIS IS THE SHIPPING POLICY ON THE 5 BUCKS A YARD SITE.

the international still sounds pricey if you have to pay for 3 packets, but the canada and mexico sounds worth it for sales stuff, and this site has sales all the time.

USPS PRIORITY MAIL WITHIN U.S. UP TO 8 YDS COTTONS $4.95 AND UP TO 28 YDS $10.70 (FLANNELS EXTRA)

USPS INTERNATIONAL PRIORITY SHIPPING UP TO 8 YDS COTTONS $13.45 UP TO 28 YDS $43.45 (FLANNELS EXTRA)

CANADA UP TO 8 YDS COTTONS $11.45 AND UP TO 28 YDS $26.95 ( FLANNELS EXTRA)

--ALLOW 2-3 BUSINESS DAYS TO SHIP WEEKENDS EXCLUDED

PLEASE WAIT FOR OUR INVOICE BEFORE PAYING TO ENSURE PROPER SHIPPING COSTS.

www.crowsnestquilting.com http://www.crowsnestquilting.com

International Shipping

The shipping charges for shipping international orders are based on the estimated weight of the package. The shipping charge is calculated after the Bill To section of the on-line order form is completed. This allows you to review the shipping charges prior to submitting your order.
    International orders, which do not fit into a Global Priority Envelope, will be shipped via UPS.
    The shipping charges do not include any customs or duty charges that may be due in a particular country. Fabric.com has no control over those charges and they are the sole responsibility of the person placing the order.
    When it is possible, we will ship packages via Global Priority, for a flat rate of $15.95. Please note, there are weight and size restrictions for this shipping option. Not all orders will qualify for this method.
    If your country's name is not listed in the country selection field on the order form, we do not currently ship to your country.

this is FABRIC.COM

why not check with these sites via their 'contact us' tab and find out what they can do for you? they want your business. they provide an email address.

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.
    Only if I absolutely LOVE it! I usually will not pay over $5 a yard and even then it has to be calling my name!

my quilt shop goes for 8 dollars a yard for most of the fabrics, 9 seems a little bit high, for me i wait till the have coupons or days where they offer a percentage off their yards or i wait till i have a gift certificate because i think 8 is even a little steep

I bought about 20 yds today at a quilt shop at $4.50 per yard. Of course it helped that the quilt shop was going out of business. I really hate it for her, but glad for me. She had fat quarter at $1.00 ea. I spent over $200.

I bought about 20 yds today at a quilt shop at $4.50 per yard. Of course it helped that the quilt shop was going out of business. I really hate it for her, but glad for me. She had fat quarter at $1.00 ea. I spent over $200.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    my quilt shop goes for 8 dollars a yard for most of the fabrics, 9 seems a little bit high, for me i wait till the have coupons or days where they offer a percentage off their yards or i wait till i have a gift certificate because i think 8 is even a little steep
    Where in So. Ca. ???? Most quilt shops prices are $9.45 or for batiks even higher.
    Batiks in JoAnns are $11.99.
    I want to shop where you do. :)

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.
    NO WAY!!!! I'm way too cheap for that. That, and I'm on a fixed income. I don't have that kind of money and probably never will, unless I win the lottery. I constantly shop for sales and free shipping online. In person I will look at everything, but I won't buy anything that isn't on sale, no matter how much I love it. When prices really get too high for my budget I'm going to have to resort to the way women of years past made quilts. Start ripping apart all the clothes from my wardrobe, lol. Or anybody else's I can get into. Shop for clothes at thrift stores and yard sales. Get it where you can, but I will never pay that price, or anything close to it for fabric. It had better be spun with gold thread for me to even consider it. The prices are just getting rediculous these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    Same here in Australia. We are paying up to and including $24 per meter. But I try and get it for $10-15 at two of my favorite shops unless they have fabric for 1/2price then i try to get what is used more like greens blues,browns etc. You in USA are lucky to have fabric so cheap compared to us.
    Hmmm, I wonder what the currency exchange is between Australia and the US. Does it work out to be about the same price or are you talking in US dollars? Just curious.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast