Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone pay...

For good quality fabric at my LQS I will pay $9.00 a yard.
    But usually go to the sales they have 2x a year for most of my fabric. And go to Hancocks when they have a summer sale to pick up Kona solids, usually a better price than $9.00 a yard.

Yes.....Over the years I have come to appreciate the differences in fabric quality. I do a lot of online shopping as I now know "brands and quality". I seldom by from the cutrate retailers. If I am going to put hours of work and good thread and batting into a quilt, it will be with good quality fabric. I do support the LQS's as well. If I am going to make a little washed or not heavily used item, I will use cheaper and lesser qualitiy stuff. Guess in some ways, I've become a "fabric snob"....LOL!

If it's something I absolutely have to have I will pay that. I have to have a plan to use it in something, but just to have it no. I usually get mine online and it's much less expensive.

Canada prices--WOW! A quilt is a very expensive project there, isn't it?

I have at times, but I try to buy on sale or use a coupon. Also, there's a Craft Warehouse near me that sells "flats" (fabric off the bolt) for about half price. Nice designer fabrics. I love that place. My pocketbook screams when I go in there, though.

Nope $5 is my limit. I love sales, they are also my downfall. I can easily resist $10 a yard fabric but offer me a good deal and I'm all over it. Really feel sorry for those of you outside the US, I couldn't possibly have the stash I do if I had to pay your prices.

I feel I can get good quality for $5 dollars on web sites such as Whittles and Fabric.com. Sure they are from a past season and they are not complete lines but I enjoy putting fabrics together on my own so I feel I don't really lose anything.

Yeah, I never pay that. The last time I bought LQS fab. at full price it was a batik that I needed for a mystery quilt on-line a couple of years ago. My DH pulled out a $10 expecting to get change back for 2 yds. LOL He turned pale when she rang up $20+. After that I decided not to go back. There is another LQS that buys lower greige but not as low as Joann's or WM. I shop on-line but have made a resolution NOT to buy new fabric until I use up some of this stash this year. So far I've only slipped up less than $100. It's amazing how much stash I have. I try to pay $3 or $4/yd. I don't care if it is this years style if I like it. HIH

NOT ME! I won't pay that much. I am sure I can find it alot less expensive elsewhere!

Sales prices here start at around UKŁ6 per meter. A jelly-roll costs about UKŁ24. Add to the postage and packaging. Quilting is an expensive hobby.

:shock: I have never paid that much a yard but since I am using my stash or else buying on sale at 3.99 or 4.99 that makes a difference

Have to confess - I did once - on vacation - bought two yards. Used one immediately when I got home still have the other one. It was truly a "can't live without it" fabric (at the time)! :) :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia
    Sometimes, but seldom. I usually buy because I like it. Yesterday, I went to Joaan's Fabric for 1 yard of black cotton broadcloth. In addition, in my shopping spree, I bought the end of a bolt, 5 yards, of a piece I liked. This was all cotton 45 inches wide at $3.00 per yard. They had a 50% off fabric sale. The 5 yards cost me $1.50 per yard and the broadcloth also half priced originally $2.95 a yard. I left the store with 7.75 yards of fabric and a length of non-roll elastic for $11.52 including Taxes of $.95. I had to tell myself "Get out of this store or you will be broke." That is not all of my bargain hunting. Saturday I went to Salvation Army Thrift Store looking for a knick knack for Senior's monthly meeting. Just browse around when I'm in a thrift store. Walking dow the aisle of winter coats, I saw a coat that had the original J.C. Penny price tag on it. No less than $129.00 was the original price. I looked at SA price. $6.00. Was my size. I bought it. It was 75% down filled. Am I a good bargain hunter or what? I've been patting myself on the back for 2 days.
    My warmest and favorite coat I bought at a thrift store. And it is the kind that really doesn't go out of style.

I use to get my at Walmarts when they had it. I get most of my at yard sales or church sales. Got some great buys.
    I can't afford $9 for it either.
    granny k

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Yes, I have paid that much. I try to look for sales now, or go places that offer lower prices on fabrics that are end of season or end of run. Now, fabrics are over $10.00 in my local quilt shops. I really have to love it to get it now. I just can't afford $10/yard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
    What is the exchange rate these days? And it is possibly higher in Canada because of tarriffs.

I buy fabric on sale at LQS for my own use. For charity quilts, I buy online at Fabric.com at $3, $4, $5. Quality is good, free shipping on orders over $35, and a break on sales tax (ours is almost 10%). We used to buy at Walmart for kid's quilts, but they don't carry fabric anymore.

Blog Entries
    I think you pay for what you get! I don't pay $9 but will get good grade fabric. I made a quilt for my DD wedding from Joann fabric and it all balled up and I spent soo muhc time making that quilt and the seams came apart. I was not happy so for speical things I will buy better. I go to Shipshewana, Ind and there Moda fabric is about $7.95 so can handle that!

me too
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieSkelly
    I always try to buy fabric that is on sale.
    :-O
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have because I am so picky about the fabrics and the colors I put together. I also believe in supporting my local quilt store!!

Blog Entries
    I mostly buy at a discount or on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never ben in a quilt shop either.
    Even if you have no intention of paying the going price for fabric, you should treat yourself to a trip to a fabric store. They have soooo many great fabrics, patterns, samples, books and great notions that you will NEVER find at WM!!!It really gets you motivated!

When I fist started to quilt, I bought Joanns's fabric...not a whole lot, just a little. Then as I became more aquainted with how things worked etc....

The shop I took a couple lessons at always had a midnight night sale once a month, where for 10 minutes you could grab all the fabric you wanted or anything else for 40% off. We would make a list of things to grab lo..

Later on When I discovered The LSQ near me and they had three 40% sales a year.

A few weeks ago a friend came by and dumped some fabrics she didn't want anymore. I picked through it and have a table full....my cup runneth over...good things comes to she who waits lol....

Then I ran a quilt shop for about a year and when I sold the shop for her, she told me to take two yards of every fabric I wanted...oh lord.

And then one of my girlfriends was moving and she told me I could purchase at 3.00 per yd. any of her fabrics and she had tons. I bought 1000 yads and the good part was..no money would be exchanged...she would send me her quilts to quilt and it would be deducted and that was a good deal for me. .

Another time I bought some from an ex quilter for a 1.00 a yd and all this is quilters cotton, designer fabric.

Needless to say, I don't buy fabric anymore lol...I have enough to last me my lifetime and I can go in a shop and not buy. I don't have to have it. I use what I have.

I have been making a good dent lately in the stash and I am so happy about that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.
    For heavens sake NO. If I had to pay that much for fabric I would not be doing what I am doing. I always wait for a sale and bargins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baglady65
    I think you pay for what you get! I don't pay $9 but will get good grade fabric. I made a quilt for my DD wedding from Joann fabric and it all balled up and I spent soo muhc time making that quilt and the seams came apart. I was not happy so for speical things I will buy better. I go to Shipshewana, Ind and there Moda fabric is about $7.95 so can handle that!
    I have been using JoAnn fabric for a long time. I have never had that problem.

Blog Entries
    I shop sales & clearances,in shops or on line.

[quote=ganny]Gosh! Was beginning to think I am really cheap. Never have paid over $7+ per yard and then try to get that on sale.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast