Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone pay...

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.
    Never paid that much in my life. You can find good fabric without having to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    No one ever said this was a cheap hobby. But if you love it enough you'll start cutting up shirts! Less laundry, right? ;)
    LOL...... you got it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    and don't leave your old jeans laying around, might need those too, bet they won't be recognized in that scrappy......I can just hear it, " No, Honey not sure where your blue shirt is right now :oops:
    Thanks Chele, just set off my wonky humor:)

Woops and I'm off thread :oops:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom
    I don't know why cotton is so expensive, it is a plant for Pete's sake. You would think that with all the quilter's around buying fabric, that it would be reasonably priced since there must be a ton of it being sold every day. I must be missing something here.
    I think this is the reason it is expensive; because quilters do use it. The other materials are probably priced accordingly to cotton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I paid $9.99 for the glow-in-the-dark Fairy Frost fabric and didn't care a bit. It was something that I really, really wanted and so far I'm in the process of making three different quilts out of it. I've bought 4 or 5 yds all together. However, that's something that I try very hard not to do. Usually I use from my stash(which is enormous), buy on sale or from thrift stores, garage sales, etc. This past spring I bought huge amounts of fabric from a garage sale where each piece was 50 cents or 3 pcs for $1 no matter how much yardage was there.
    Great garage sale! Love that kind.

I will pay it if it is something I really want. I have had the experience where I have waited thinking I would get it on sale and then it was gone. One of the fabrics I wanted was deleted out of my "basket" while I was ordering online. There were only 2 places that had any yardage left of it and of course it was over $9.00 a yard, but I had ordered the rest of the line for a quilt and the pattern I needed was a stripe I was using for the border. Hasn't happened very ofen thankfully. Just found a Walmart that had fabric. Found some Thomas Kincade Tinkerbell panel fabric, and two coordinating fabrics on sale. Should have bought all they had but did get a few extra panels that I will take pictures of and offer on the board. It is SO pretty.

I recently paid $9.50 per yd. for some.

None of the Wal Marts around here have had fabric for over two years. Enjoy it while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have quilt magazines that i paid a quarter for and quilt books that I paid $2.00 for at the thrift shop. I print off free patterns. I was thinging of giving away my mags and books because I have found out I don't like to follow patterns.
    Oooh ooooh oooh

LOL
    So I'm thinking if I decide to do this you would be interested. I'm not saying I'm giving anything away right now but maybe in the future. Lol
    Excuse my giddy tail wagging:)

Blog Entries
    I haunt the sales and clearance bins. I seldom even look at full-priced fabric because I know it will break my heart that I cannot afford it! Five dollars is pretty much my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    No fabric at Wal-mart!
    Ummm, I first found Cranston village at Wallmart. I've also found similar fabrics at Walmart that I would find at Joanns or the local LQS and the batting for 100 percent cotton is much cheaper. Though I'm more likely to buy the batting I want at Connecting Threads.

Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom
    I don't know why cotton is so expensive, it is a plant for Pete's sake. You would think that with all the quilter's around buying fabric, that it would be reasonably priced since there must be a ton of it being sold every day. I must be missing something here.
    With more demand comes more price.

Blog Entries
    if i had to pay 7.00 to 9.00 for fabric i would have to do without.

Here in Australia it is normal to pay anything between $20.00 to $26.00 a metre. I have a look at the fabrics that I like here then I google the fabric online and normally with postage pay around $10.00 US a yard instead. So it is a much cheaper option for me.

I've paid $9.00 or more at QS. If I'm on vacation with or without DH, and I like what I see I'll buy it. Usually with Joann's coupons I can get some pretty good fabric, not the thin see through if I watch it. If its for kids i really hate to pay the QS prices. The kids crry them around which is what they should do, and when they wear out I make them more with a better grade of material.

Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.
    I have a couple of times, but try to do it on our sewing club day so I get 10% off that price. I try to shop for cheaper prices also.

I try not to pay that much per yard, but occasionally will buy a piece, if it is absolutely the right fabric for a project. Usually wait for sales. Our LQS has a clearance area where the really nice stuff is about $7 a yard plus a section where there are bolts that are almost gone, where if you take whats left you get a hefty discount.
    I once bought a yard at $18. It still gives me pleasure, I never cut it, just hung it up and look at it. Now isn't that nuts?

I have only paid that much for fabric on rare occasions where I absolutely loved it, didn't want to risk waiting for a sale, and where I felt a certain degree of loyalty to the LQS. Otherwise, I learn to love something else.

Never, unless it's a particular color or pattern I need for a quilt soon to be in the makings. I buy cheap, cheap, cheap. Can't afford designer fabrics.

Not if I can help it and then only would buy what I absolutely had to have. I am a bargain hunter at heart.

Blog Entries
    WM has the best Value ,obviously! All my LQS and the big J ( Joanns) are at or close to $10 a yard. I buy alot of fabric when i dont need it and without a project in mind, That way i plan a project with what i have on hand. Unless someone asks for something specific. Most people leave the choices to me since i know what they like and i majored in art, painting and was a int. dec. I know that color wheel backwards( if i turn around hehe)

I always buy "On Sale" fabrics, clothes, anything. Never pay full price.

I have paid $9 a yard, but I too like the sales. As for tools, what someone else said is right - if it is for quilters its more expensive. The article here was right - there are lots of alternative use of everyday things. Recently, a new ruler came out to use with tube quilts, but online there was a demo for using a 45 degree angle to accomplish the same thing.

We have no choice to pay more than $9.00 a yard for anything half decent in Australia - unless we buy on line from the US

wowyou get your matieral cheap if we want good fabric it goes to 25aus dollars a mtre

I have never paid that much for fabric. I do my shopping at a fabric outlet type of store - it charges less than that to begin with and then almost always is having sales. One just has to really be observant as to brand, quality etc.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast