Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone pay... >

Does everyone pay...

Does everyone pay...

Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 PM

I am taking a class at LQS, $30. It's Skinny Quilt or Tablerunner. I had bought the book a couple of months ago. Today I picked out the fabric and the ruler I needed came to $64 using 25% off on the 2 yd. piece and 10% class discount. I'll have to make a sign if I use it for a tablerunner, "Don't place anything on the tablerunner".:)
Old 09-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

If you read the quilting blogs, there is always a fabric site that is having a 50% - 60% off LQS quality fabric sale somewhere. I find more free patterns and how tos on blogs then in any magazine.

The one book I did buy recently is Rotary Cutting Revolution. It's worth full price if you can't find it on sale.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ganny
Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.
Only if it something I really, really, really LOVE and HAVE to have. One collection comes to mind is Califon...... absolutely beautiful and I bought FQ's and did a quilt I saw in a magazine. Now I need to find enough for backing so I can finish it :oops:
Old 09-05-2010, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by ganny
Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.

Yep, we pay AT LEAST $25 per metre, up to $35 per metre. $9 per yard? I'd be in seventh heaven. FQ's are at least $7 EACH!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:56 AM

[quote=watson's mom]
Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
Very true...fabric is way too expensive in Canada but I have found a small shop that sells for $8.95/metre . Up here that's a great price. Online fabric is cheaper but shipping costs are ferocious so it's expensive all the way around.[/quote

You are hard pressed to find inexpensive fabric in Canada. If we order on line then shipping and duty gets us. If we go to the LQS we pay 15-23 dollars a metre, unless it is on sale, maybe 30% off, but, I've never seen 50% off unless it was i) Super ugly, or ii) old fabric ( 5yrs +) or iii) the quality of fabric was so bad no one else wanted it.
I haven't been in a quilt shop I would be guessing atleast 4 years. The only fabric I've purchased (online) was for my avatar quilt, everything else is from stash. I will admit, I did own a Quilt shop a few years ago ( so I have a large stash) and even back then, stores were charging 15.95 - 23.95 for fabric and I doubt it's gone down...I don't know, is there is solution to the high price of fabric?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:00 AM

It seems like it cost so much these days to have any kind of pleasure in life. Most all of us are on fixed incomes so you really have to pinch the pennies to make ends meet. You know that every time they have a sale on something they only raise the price after the sale to make up their loss. It’s a no win world out there. We just keep on smiling and make the best of it.
I guess it could always be worse. Sometimes seeing the glass HALF FULL makes life a little easier.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:36 AM

I do buy it but cringe every time. It is a lot but the quality of the fabric is really nice. I do like to hit sale however so whenever I can I get less expensive fabric.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:43 AM

Real quilt fabs are really expensive in my country. So I pay average between 18 and 25 dollars a meter ( is a little bit more then a yard)
Old 09-05-2010, 02:55 AM

Absolutely, we average between $16 and $25 per metre (about 40").
But...I have now found the online buying and buying from this forum are really good prices for us in Australia.
Bought some here not long ago and even though the shipping was astronomical I still came out in front!!
Depends on the amount I buy.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
Ditto!