Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone pay...

The only thing I paid 10 dollars a yard for was a fine wool and that was close to 10 years ago.

I can't see paying that for trendy cotton.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I have quilt magazines that i paid a quarter for and quilt books that I paid $2.00 for at the thrift shop. I print off free patterns. I was thinging of giving away my mags and books because I have found out I don't like to follow patterns.

Blog Entries
    I get one magazine because it came with subscription to a website, so I could see the longarm videos. I don't subscribe, that is just one more expense I don't need right now.

Blog Entries
    that's LQS prices for you, they say you get what you pay for

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have quilt magazines that i paid a quarter for and quilt books that I paid $2.00 for at the thrift shop. I print off free patterns. I was thinging of giving away my mags and books because I have found out I don't like to follow patterns.
    Oooh ooooh oooh

LOL

I am taking a class at LQS, $30. It's Skinny Quilt or Tablerunner. I had bought the book a couple of months ago. Today I picked out the fabric and the ruler I needed came to $64 using 25% off on the 2 yd. piece and 10% class discount. I'll have to make a sign if I use it for a tablerunner, "Don't place anything on the tablerunner".:)

Blog Entries
    If you read the quilting blogs, there is always a fabric site that is having a 50% - 60% off LQS quality fabric sale somewhere. I find more free patterns and how tos on blogs then in any magazine.

The one book I did buy recently is Rotary Cutting Revolution. It's worth full price if you can't find it on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.
    Only if it something I really, really, really LOVE and HAVE to have. One collection comes to mind is Califon...... absolutely beautiful and I bought FQ's and did a quilt I saw in a magazine. Now I need to find enough for backing so I can finish it :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by ganny
    Does everyone pay over $9/yd for material? I must be cheap. Have never paid that much but then I've never been in a quilt shop either.

Yep, we pay AT LEAST $25 per metre, up to $35 per metre. $9 per yard? I'd be in seventh heaven. FQ's are at least $7 EACH!

Blog Entries
    [quote=watson's mom]
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
    Very true...fabric is way too expensive in Canada but I have found a small shop that sells for $8.95/metre . Up here that's a great price. Online fabric is cheaper but shipping costs are ferocious so it's expensive all the way around.[/quote

You are hard pressed to find inexpensive fabric in Canada. If we order on line then shipping and duty gets us. If we go to the LQS we pay 15-23 dollars a metre, unless it is on sale, maybe 30% off, but, I've never seen 50% off unless it was i) Super ugly, or ii) old fabric ( 5yrs +) or iii) the quality of fabric was so bad no one else wanted it.
    I haven't been in a quilt shop I would be guessing atleast 4 years. The only fabric I've purchased (online) was for my avatar quilt, everything else is from stash. I will admit, I did own a Quilt shop a few years ago ( so I have a large stash) and even back then, stores were charging 15.95 - 23.95 for fabric and I doubt it's gone down...I don't know, is there is solution to the high price of fabric?

It seems like it cost so much these days to have any kind of pleasure in life. Most all of us are on fixed incomes so you really have to pinch the pennies to make ends meet. You know that every time they have a sale on something they only raise the price after the sale to make up their loss. Itís a no win world out there. We just keep on smiling and make the best of it.
    I guess it could always be worse. Sometimes seeing the glass HALF FULL makes life a little easier.

I do buy it but cringe every time. It is a lot but the quality of the fabric is really nice. I do like to hit sale however so whenever I can I get less expensive fabric.

Real quilt fabs are really expensive in my country. So I pay average between 18 and 25 dollars a meter ( is a little bit more then a yard)

Absolutely, we average between $16 and $25 per metre (about 40").
    But...I have now found the online buying and buying from this forum are really good prices for us in Australia.
    Bought some here not long ago and even though the shipping was astronomical I still came out in front!!
    Depends on the amount I buy.

Senior Member quilter on the eastern edge's Avatar
    I'd be thrilled to pay $9 a yard for fabric. Up here in Canada quilt shop fabric runs about $16-$18 a meter which is about 40". It has to be half price before we get it for $9.
    Ditto!

Be thankful you don't live over here, fabric seems to be about twice as expensive and we rarely get any sales. We have to buy mainly from quilt shops on line, in my area at least there are no fabric shops as such and the equivalent of your walmart don't sell fabric. I have thought of buying it from USA even with shipping it is still a lot cheaper.

I fell in love with an Asian fabric the other day and paid $12.99 a yrd! I only bought one yard of it though. CRAZY these prices are!!!

I do. That is the av. price at the LQS I go to. Sometimes there is a sale there and I will pick some up for % off. I don't complain as I generally only buy when I need for a particular project and it is very nice fabric.

Not me!!! The most I have paid is $4.44 a yard. I can't afford the higher priced fabric's. The fabric I buy at wm is just good as the LQS fabric's.
    Ditto! I always look for bargains

most LQS I have been into in Australia charge $22.00 a mtr if I like something or want it for a special reason that is what I pay but I normaly try to buy on special. good will shops are a great source of ofcuts if you don't mind what you buy. I have bought lots bits and pieces that way and when i have enough of a particular colour combination I will make something.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Oooh ooooh oooh

LOL
    So I'm thinking if I decide to do this you would be interested. I'm not saying I'm giving anything away right now but maybe in the future. Lol

If i like it, and i don't really worry about how much it is. Keep in mind, I only go shopping for fabric when i have the money to do so. And only if i have enough money to get whatever i want.

I always load up on stash fabric in the $5 corners and sale bins at quilt shops. I only shop at Joans a little for novelty stuff and camo fabric.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I can't afford "quilt shop "stuff! I pay less than and never more than 5.00. I get the nicer stuff when its marked down,or last seasons.And I am blessed when friends send me their scraps. I am on a fixed income and semi housebound,so not a lot of choices.

I recently paid $20 a metre, but it was all I could find that suited my project.
    :cry:
    Yes, the only way to get fabric at that price is if it's on 1/2 price.

FYI - Fat Quarters at JoAnn's are $.99 each right now - I think for Labor Day Weekend.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast