Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does everyone pay... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-everyone-pay-t63102.html)

SharonAnne 09-04-2010 06:56 PM

My rule of thumb is to always use coupons (the higher the percentage the better) and wait for sales, and shop online, but I broke my rule the other day and spent $10.50 for a yard of Kaffe Fassett's design at one of the too many LQS's around here - our Walmart does not carry fabric anymore. It is so beautiful I just can't stop looking at it. If I ever get over that, someday I will use it to make something for myself for a change of pace. How about patterns? Do you all spend the $9 at QS's or do you use free patterns, or buy a book and use it over and over if you find a favorite?

ganny 09-04-2010 06:59 PM

I have several magazine subscriptions, several books, and free patterns. I will NEVER get them all made. Drives me crazy. A person can only use one pattern at a time! What's the matter with me?

watson's mom 09-04-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ganny
I have several magazine subscriptions, several books, and free patterns. I will NEVER get them all made. Drives me crazy. A person can only use one pattern at a time! What's the matter with me?

I have so many books on quilting of all kinds that I would have to be 300 yrs. old to use them up. I don't need any more fabric either but I'm going on a shopping trip to Grand Rapids Michigan next weekend on a bus trip. Am I nuts or what !!!

Sadiemae 09-04-2010 07:13 PM

I don't ever spend #9 a yard because I simply cannot buy it on a fixed income. I would love to, but I can't. I will buy things on sale from the LQS if they are clearance.

noveltyjunkie 09-04-2010 07:14 PM

Yes I have- a lot more. Fabric is expensive in Australia. So far I have only made small things, and slowly, so it doesn't really make much difference. I value my time and I want what I make to be as beautiful as I can make it. That said, if I could find nice fabric cheap I would buy it! I am just getting into buying online now and for larger projects in particular it will make a big difference, even with shipping.

moonwolf23 09-04-2010 07:30 PM

The only thing I paid 10 dollars a yard for was a fine wool and that was close to 10 years ago.

I can't see paying that for trendy cotton.

cjomomma 09-04-2010 07:30 PM

I have quilt magazines that i paid a quarter for and quilt books that I paid $2.00 for at the thrift shop. I print off free patterns. I was thinging of giving away my mags and books because I have found out I don't like to follow patterns.

Sadiemae 09-04-2010 07:32 PM

I get one magazine because it came with subscription to a website, so I could see the longarm videos. I don't subscribe, that is just one more expense I don't need right now.

lynnie 09-04-2010 07:58 PM

that's LQS prices for you, they say you get what you pay for

moonwolf23 09-04-2010 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I have quilt magazines that i paid a quarter for and quilt books that I paid $2.00 for at the thrift shop. I print off free patterns. I was thinging of giving away my mags and books because I have found out I don't like to follow patterns.

Oooh ooooh oooh

LOL