Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does quilting bring you comfort? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-quilting-bring-you-comfort-t191516.html)

crzypatcher 06-13-2012 02:54 PM

I began quilting two years ago after I lost my beloved husband to cancer. It became my lifeline then and it is my lifeline now, as I am selling our home and moving into a mobile. The last room to be packed will be my sewing room and it will be the first room unpacked when I arrive in my new home.

sak658 06-13-2012 03:04 PM

I love to stay in my sewing room all day. But I have chronic back pain...so I just charge on thru and try to relax the best I can...when it gets too bad, I switch to the computer and the QB...nothing helps with the pain...take tylenol once a day and sew in spurts..but I still love it all...

promenades 06-13-2012 03:22 PM

It is has been my zen! After batteling with Lupus, RA, AS and IBM I was affraid I was never going to be able to do the things I used to love doing(sewing,quilting,machine embroider,trining and showing horse and playing Irish Whiste and Fiddle). The one thing I can do now is create and sew/quilt and embroider. No more Lupus fog and my body has finnaly calmed down with monthly infusions. So I just can not explain how elated I ma to be able to do this again. It is my only outle. With out it, I would go crazy and depression would suck me up. I hope I can keep on with this for a long time. :)

Rubesgirl 06-13-2012 07:10 PM

It usually gives me joy to be creating something in fabric or glass, unless it's being particularly difficult and then it can become a bit stressful. I just have to walk away for a bit, mull it over, find a solution and it becomes joyful again. Colors and textures can bring me a great deal of peace.

Grandma58 06-13-2012 07:22 PM

I get lost in some of the stuff I do in a dreamy way, and I know all is well in the universe.

starshine 06-13-2012 07:23 PM

Yes I like all aspects, and I think that one reason there are more than on project going at the same time is because if I am doing a lot of piecing and need a break, I can switch to quilting, or vice versa. But yes there is something very therapeutic about it all.

burchquilts 06-13-2012 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5283224)
Not only does every aspect of quilting bring me comfort, I actually seem to go into withdrawels if I don't do something quilting related for several days in a row.

I've found the same thing to be true. Even if I just cut a couple of things out or sew a few minutes, that makes my day better. I just can't go a day without quilting, so the days my knee won't let me are really icky. Granted, I can noodle around on the Board or look at quilting books & that's good, too, but I really like the actual process. To me the journey, the process is as important as the finished product.

burchquilts 06-13-2012 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by rj.neihart (Post 5285562)
Agree with all of the above. It's all so relaxing to me. I get lost and the brain goes into another sphere where thoughts are clear, heart is happy, no stress. All very therapeutic for me.

I agree... going into "the zone" is a wonderful respite during this hectic life we all live.

Sometimes I feel kind of guilty (for lack of a better way to express it). I make quite a few charity quilts & when people tell me how thoughtful I am (or whatever) for doing so, I always say "I don't make them for other people. I make them for me... the making is my joy". The fact that there's a "product" at the end is just a nice thing. But I'd do it even if there wasn't a "product". It does make me happy that something that brings me such peace & joy also is a good thing for others. Does what I'm saying even make sense? I feel like I'm just mangling what I'm trying to say. Maybe I should go to bed. Nah... more board to look at... LOL!

MaryLane 06-14-2012 02:55 AM

Maybe. I am not sure I would have ever described it like that. I like to stay busy. Quilting is a more socially acceptable form of sewing. You can always find someone to give a quilt to.

It does not sooth me like it seems to do some of you. I need to feel I am productive and it does that but for comfort I want a good book, warmth (sun, fire, bath) and good food.