Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does quilting bring you comfort? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-quilting-bring-you-comfort-t191516.html)

LavenderBlue 06-11-2012 10:38 PM

Does quilting bring you comfort?

I've realized recently that most everything about quilting brings me comfort. Not just the end result - a quilt. The fabrics, colors, the processes of washing/drying fabrics, ironing them, cutting them, sewing together, squaring them, making/applying binding, on and on. It seems almost therapeutic. I can have a less than perfect day or specific problem and find great comfort and restoration in the quilting world. How about you?

sewbeadit 06-11-2012 10:46 PM

Yes, I think that is why most of us quilt, all of the above. My studio is where I can relax and do something I really enjoy.

earthwalker 06-11-2012 11:01 PM

A wholehearted YES from me. The quiltmaking process has kept me going through some extraordinarily difficult times. It seems to still my mind....a sort of shifting of gears....hard to explain....but whatever...it works for me. The physical component is taken care of by the garden. So between the two activities (not to mention all the other work/housekeeping etc. etc.) I "keep on keeping on":).

Moonglow 06-12-2012 01:20 AM

Quilting keeps me sane. Like Earthwalker I have been through some very difficult times and I know I will face some more difficult times in the future so I will keep on making quilts. It is the best therapy for me.

mcdaniel023 06-12-2012 01:34 AM

I can come home from a very stressful day at work, walk into my studio and find complete peace. Yep, it is the best therapy for whatever is bothering you.

teddysmom 06-12-2012 03:07 AM

I've only been quilting a couple of years but I find the process to be very relaxing. I hand piece and hand quilt so I don't have to make any special preparations to pick up where I left off. No running out of bobbin thread, no thread breaking, no bunching up under the pressure foot, etc. Just one stitch at a time by hand. Ah, how relaxing!

leatheflea 06-12-2012 03:22 AM

Yep, I started quilting after having nervous breakdown. Quilting stitched my life back together.

quilter1 06-12-2012 03:32 AM

Quilting does bring me comfort and joy. It is a peaceful process.

Shelbie 06-12-2012 03:35 AM

I've always called quilting "my sanity saver". My sewing room is where I do my best problem solving, relaxing, rehearsing and re-grouping. It's the one place in our house that I am usually alone (except for DD's cat!) I have a very busy life and everyone needs a little down time. The added benefit to this is that we usually end up with a wonderful finished quilt.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 06-12-2012 03:50 AM

It makes the hours fly by. I love to hand quilt because I can watch TV and do it in my leisure but I found I really don't like to machine quilt.