Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does your hubby also sew or quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-your-hubby-also-sew-quilt-t45574.html)

Melinda in Tulsa 05-11-2010 09:11 PM

What a lot of lucky ladies here! My DH does absolutely nothing around the house. But I can't complain. He never tells me no to anything I want.

raptureready 05-12-2010 07:21 AM

Not at all. He has no interest in it and that's fine with me. He has his RC planes, boats, jet skis, trains, cars, trucks, jets, helicopters, hovercraft, swamp buggies, etc. and I'm amazed by what he can do with them. He's amazed at what I can do with a sewing machine and some fabric. It works out good for us that way.

liwilliams 05-12-2010 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ann clare
No, but he often makes the tea.

Oh that is so cute (sweet). :-D

kacie 05-12-2010 07:56 AM

No, he doesn't sew or quilt, but he loves that I do and tells people about my quilts sometimes more than I want him to. Frankly, I think once he learned how I can mix up colors and make them look good, he got over his aversion to anything but white paint on the walls, and he's pretty proud of that! And he has no problem with me upgrading machines -- he has a lot more invested in camera gear and cars so we just don't talk much about cost. Our hobbies are sanity savers.

k_jupiter 05-12-2010 08:03 AM

I am still looking for a girlfriend who can quilt better than me.

And yes I cook, clean, replace the engine in the van, rebuild transmissions, have a woodshop, a darkroom, garden, bike, hike, watch sports, and all those things that get you through life as a single man and father.

tim in san jose

Melinda in Tulsa 05-12-2010 02:56 PM

You rock Tim!!!!

erotz 05-13-2010 03:28 AM

No, but my husband helps me with the design. He is very good at that

weatheread 05-13-2010 04:03 AM

My Husband can sew He is a retired sewing machine mechanic and the key word here is retired he will fix something for me but I hear about it for a WHILE . He use to love to sew and fix my machines but now all he want to do is fish and play with our 17 month old great grandson

wordmama 05-13-2010 04:09 AM

I taught my husband to sew on a button a number of years ago. He is very artistic and loves Xmas, so he started making ornaments of his own design from felt, beads and embroidery floss. Then he would do simple mending tasks by hand for his clients at work, mending little rips in seams or ripped out pockets, etc.

Last fall he started looking at sewing machines. He studied my Husqvarna and asked me all about the embroidery stitches and designs, but I really don't do that--I piece and FMQ some. I got a little nervous when he was using my machine. One day he did something funky and thought he had broken it and ran it out to the technician to get it fixed before I got home (whew!).

So he bought a Husqvarna Designer I (used) and started doing embroidery. Before he bought his machine he researched all the different brands on the Internet. He really wanted a Pfaff, but we don't have a local dealer. We had a couple of older machines that needed some work and he couldn't resist opening them up to see how they work, etc.

Long story short--he's now taking a course in basic sewing machine repair and I'm so excited for him, because he can get some of his questions answered (hopefully) that he's always asking me!

He's always drawn quilt patterns, but he doesn't ever piece them. He's always been very creative, drawing, designing, manipulating photos in neat ways, etc.

He is a gem (and I'm keeping him)!

SandraD 05-13-2010 04:18 AM

No, but he is an increadible woodworker. He make beautiful furniture and awesome quilt racks!