Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't do what I did! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-do-what-i-did-t184895.html)

Donna Yount 04-04-2012 01:37 PM

I think we all learn my our mistakes.

KathyPhillips 04-04-2012 02:18 PM

I have washed strips before, and there was a real mess! I even used a lingerie bag, too, but there was still a mess! I didn't starch them, but wanted to wash them to go with other fabric that had been washed.

Originally Posted by w7sue (Post 5113425)
I love learning lessons from people who have already made the mistakes - sorry you are so tangled up. If you decide to experiment with the process again, you might try putting them in a lingerie bag, then into the dryer. Never done it but it might help since it keeps my bras from getting all mixed up.

jlwheart 04-04-2012 08:36 PM

Can't imagine your surprise and frustration! Hope you're able to get out of your mess without a bigger mess!

sewellie 04-04-2012 09:03 PM

I put moy scraps in a lingerie (sp?) bag. That way they don't get tangled .

ILoveToQuilt 04-05-2012 03:29 AM

I was always told NOT to ever starch fabric, spray-on or liquid, as bugs love to eat it and will ruin your quilts. What I do is use sizing, which stiffens, but is not a starch. Granted, it is a spray-on (haven't found a liquid one yet), but 99.9% of us iron our fabrics anyway. I even use sizing when I iron my DH's shirts - look just as good as starching. Yes, I know, I should send the shirts to the laundry for them to do so I have more time to quilt! :-)

An ironing tip: never, ever, ever use a steam iron. Water and irons, do not mix. Water will cause an iron to leak (see Rowenta thread from last week) eventually because of corrosion of the internal parts. Those of us who "sprinkle" their fabrics and use a dry iron, have just as crisp fabric as those who use a steam iron and we have irons that will basically last forever.

Good luck with your tangles!

homebody323 04-05-2012 04:19 AM

Thanks for your courage to tell your screw ups. I believe in telling all too so that beginning quilters don't see our long road to lovely quilts as a instant road to success. We all learn from our many mistakes and mishaps. I use a portable drying rack with a cheap plastic tablecloth under it for drying that type thing. I also use my fingers as a squeege when removing the strips from the starch bath.

weezie 04-05-2012 05:59 AM

I do the small tub of liquid starch thing with all my fabrics, big pieces or little, but I have an outdoor clothesline on which to hang them and prefer them to be slightly damp yet when I iron them. If you do not have an outdoor line and are only doing strips, is there a way you can hang them to dry over the bathtub or in the shower?

kat112000 04-05-2012 06:00 AM

Well two more hours spent cutting threads! So four hours in total to get the mess untangled. Now to iron all of the strips! That will be tonight's job.

quilts4cara 04-05-2012 06:42 AM

Good to know! I just bought an Accugo and was debating taking it back, but will try starching to see if I have better results.

Morag 04-05-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by kat112000 (Post 5112926)
Since I have been using starch, I love love it. Starching the fabric before using the Accugo really helps get nice cuts.I have a million 2 1/2 strips to sub cut so I thought I would save myself some time and make a large batch of liquid starch and soak the strips and then toss them into the dryer. What a mess!! It will take me forever to untangle and flatten so they can be pressed!!!! What the heck was I thinking!!!???!!!! So they are in the washing machine right now. That is what I get for being lazy!!!

OMG ...Memories of almost the same thing that I did......had to toss all the squares..what a tangled frayed mess:(:(