Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't do what I did! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-do-what-i-did-t184895.html)

Morag 04-05-2012 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 5117645)
I was always told NOT to ever starch fabric, spray-on or liquid, as bugs love to eat it and will ruin your quilts. What I do is use sizing, which stiffens, but is not a starch. Granted, it is a spray-on (haven't found a liquid one yet), but 99.9% of us iron our fabrics anyway. I even use sizing when I iron my DH's shirts - look just as good as starching. Yes, I know, I should send the shirts to the laundry for them to do so I have more time to quilt! :-)

An ironing tip: never, ever, ever use a steam iron. Water and irons, do not mix. Water will cause an iron to leak (see Rowenta thread from last week) eventually because of corrosion of the internal parts. Those of us who "sprinkle" their fabrics and use a dry iron, have just as crisp fabric as those who use a steam iron and we have irons that will basically last forever.

Good luck with your tangles!

In defense of Rowenta steam irons........I have had mine for 14 years and have used it regularly and have NEVER had it leak the first time. It is the heaviest nicest iron I have ever owned and my DH went to great lengths to save money (we were struggling) and buy it for me for my quilting.

Grace MooreLinker 04-05-2012 08:33 AM

I think starching the fabric before cutting the strips would work better, but after thoughts won't untangle the strips.. Good luck

misseva 04-05-2012 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt (Post 5117645)
I was always told NOT to ever starch fabric, spray-on or liquid, as bugs love to eat it and will ruin your quilts. What I do is use sizing, which stiffens, but is not a starch. Granted, it is a spray-on (haven't found a liquid one yet), but 99.9% of us iron our fabrics anyway. I even use sizing when I iron my DH's shirts - look just as good as starching. Yes, I know, I should send the shirts to the laundry for them to do so I have more time to quilt! :-)

An ironing tip: never, ever, ever use a steam iron. Water and irons, do not mix. Water will cause an iron to leak (see Rowenta thread from last week) eventually because of corrosion of the internal parts. Those of us who "sprinkle" their fabrics and use a dry iron, have just as crisp fabric as those who use a steam iron and we have irons that will basically last forever.

Good luck with your tangles!

So, no one should ever use a steam iron?????? Wow a whole industry down the tubes. I have really good success with my R owenta steam generator.

BellaBoo 04-05-2012 09:44 AM

Rowenta irons made in Germany are the top quality irons. They are hard to find but some do exist. The new Rowenta made in China, not worth buying according to all the reviews. Rowenta was sold to another company.

pokeyscorner 04-05-2012 09:53 AM

I had a Rowenta I bought in 1989. I used it both w/steam & dry. I just had to replace it this yr. Had no problems -- Bought another, but this one is made in China soooo - I hope things haven't changed & that misseva just has a lemon!

jaciqltznok 04-05-2012 09:54 AM

oh goodness....perhaps it would have worked if you only cool dried them until they were damp and not dry!

arbed31 04-05-2012 10:24 AM

I purchased a laundry drying rack to put my starched fabric on it to dry (ceiling fan is on and helps to dry faster). It works great.

I had a Rowenta travel iron that lasted 15 years, no leaking at all. It just died out, not bad for a iron that was used daily. I liked it for pressing quilt blocks and yes sometimes I used water in it to get some stubborn wrinkles out. The secret for this iron, well any steam iron, is remembering to drain all of the water out of it and then let the iron heat up a bit to make sure no water is left inside.

Nanaquilts44 04-05-2012 11:33 AM

Oh gosh sounds like the way I learn - the hard way. I hope you can get it all sorted easily.

glenda5253 04-05-2012 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 5113340)
My Mother used to do that, but hung them outside to dry not put them in the dryer. She would bring them in sprinkle them down, roll them in something for awhile then iron. I still have some blocks she had cut out but not done anything with, they are as stiff as cardboard.

Thanks for the tips on what not and what to do. Sorry for your trouble, kat112000

EvelynJ 04-05-2012 04:07 PM

Sometimes our "shortcut" turn into really long scenic tours, don't they. Thanks for the tip.