Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't You Wish Machine Manufacturers Would ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-you-wish-machine-manufacturers-would-t174167.html)

pasolovers 01-02-2012 06:01 PM

I put a "handi grip" under the foot control, to stop it from sliding ..I can't imagine why manufacturers haven't added a non slip bottom to these devices.
I plan on cutting out a pattern from a non slip shelf liner and adhering it to the foot control...nothing ventured nothing gained :)

Gramie bj 01-02-2012 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=pasolovers;4835993]I put a "handi grip" under the foot control, to stop it from sliding ..I can't imagine why manufacturers haven't added a non slip bottom to these devices.
I plan on cutting out a pattern from a non slip shelf liner and adhering it to the foot control...nothing ventured nothing gained :)[/QUOTE

I have done this with all my machines, it works. Just make sure not to put the foot control on the floor untill you are sure the glue is dry. Don't ask, not a pretty story! LOL

garysgal 01-02-2012 08:12 PM

I wish they would put a needle threader on the machine that actually works! Mine is just an ornament that sometimes works and most times doesn't!

Caroline S 01-02-2012 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj (Post 4835868)
Ah, yes. My wish list. The easy access for cleaning, yes, the never ending bobbin, yes.
A manual that actually tells you the truth about oiling your machine and where to do it. = No, not all "no maintenance" machines live forever without oil.
And, make the outer shells easier to open like the "old days", instead of impossible to open except for highly paid repair people.

I'm with you tjradj. I would love to clean the innards of my Elna 7300. I know after having and using her for almost 3 years she could use a good cleaning inside. Can't get there. Frustrating.

BETTY62 01-02-2012 11:20 PM

Yes, I do. And, I like Rose L's suggestion that the mfgs let us pick our options. You know, just like we can on cars.

Maia B 01-03-2012 01:02 AM

Berninas have a pop-off stitch plate, which helps, but I would also like greater access for cleaning. I wish machine pricing was more transparent and straightforward, less secretive and sleazy. I wish Bernina would make straight stitcher with dual feed, a huge harp, and jumbo bobbin like the 820. À la carte features would be AWESOME.

gspsplease 01-03-2012 04:33 AM

My late husband was always amazed at the complex way sewing machines were threaded - in and out and around all these little hooks. He compared them with video players where you just put in a cassette and the machine coped with the threading by itself! (similarly with camera film -- it's been about 40 years since we had to carefully thread film onto spools and wind ready to use) Now I am more familiar with sewing machines i don't swear and fuss so much when I have to thread my machine as I did when I first started, but it still seems to me that there are some advances in automation that we have missed out on. I know there are machines that thread themselves -- but they tend to be pricey -- surely by now that feature can't be so expensive to add to a machine?

Krystyna 01-03-2012 04:44 AM

Great suggestions from everyone! Oh and that wandering pedal! Sometimes mine gets stuck under a support of my sewing table and keeps stitching when I think I'm done. I've got to snatch it out by the wire!

thepolyparrot 01-03-2012 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 4836943)
Oh and that wandering pedal!

I glued strips of hook tape to the underside of my foot controls. It grabs the carpet and stays put.

If you're on slick floors, you can use rubber shelf liner.

The best way to attach this stuff is Aleene's Tack It Over and Over glue - you put the glue on the backside of the velcro, let it air dry overnight and it stays sticky. Put it onto the foot control in pieces to cover the bottom. Joann has "generic" hook and loop tape for $1 a bundle, so it's a pretty cheap fix. :)

Rose Marie 01-03-2012 07:19 AM

Much larger bobbins would be the best thing of all.
Cleaning lint from a drop in bobbin area is simple on my Viking Sapphire and the 10in throat is great.
I do not like my new strait stitch Baby Lock machine with the complicated threading and the under the machine bobbin, it is primitive.