Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't You Wish Machine Manufacturers Would ...

Blog Entries

Don't You Wish Machine Manufacturers Would ...

Don't you wish they would design machines with bobbin housing and side housing covers that would just click off so you could clean out all the linty stuff and wayward strings without trying to get to a zillion hard to reach screws? Especially those that require the use of that little stubby screw driver? I've been quilting with a Sulky thread that is soooo linty it looks like the foot and shaft on my machine grew a beard!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    Put a light right above the needle, have the biggest harp area possible, make a non skid foot control pedal and develop a huge bobbin.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    Put a light right above the needle, have the biggest harp area possible, make a non skid foot control pedal and develop a huge bobbin.
    Ditto!! Especially the huge bobbin! I have my grandmother's treadle machine... it used a spool of thread in the bobbin case...wonderful!! Alas, today's spools don't fit...and I'm not about to hand wind thread onto one of those wooden spools!!!
    Pat from Texas

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

Blog Entries
    Ah yes! The never-ending bobbin!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    having a spool of thread in place of the bobbin sounds like a wonderful idea, as does snap-off areas to help you get to your machine to clean it! I wish they would make machines easy to get into for those yearly trips to the servicer...I like to service my own machines, and man is it hard to get into some of them!
    I quilt for my sanity!

Blog Entries
    I wish machine mfgs. would allow us to custom order a machine that just has the things on it that we want. Nothing like paying for a bunch of bells and whistles that I'm never going to use!
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

I'd like one that somehow has a really slanted bed so I don't have to hunch over, or prop it up!!

Blog Entries
    i purchased the little vacuum attachment kit that is for electronics---works wonderfully to suck out all the stuff in the hard to reach places-
    i think Clotilde's offers it- it's about $14 and well worth the money! you just attach the tool to your vacuum hose and clean that machine right up!
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I am with you on the access for cleaning out the lint. My old singer , cabinet mounted, is so easy to clean. Just tip it up and everything is right there for cleaning and oiling. My newer Viking .. you just can not get past the bobbin case to de-lint. Very frustrating.. I know that lint is in there.. but can't get at it.

Power Poster
    My new Bernina 440 does have a snap on foot plate cover. You can clean under the feed dogs and snap it back in place. It doesn't have a never ending bobbin but you can fill a bobbin without unthreading the machine if you have another spool of thread. Very neat along with the needle threading function.

And speaking of bobbins, they ought to get their heads together and use one bobbin size! 4 machines take 4 different bobbins.

(Yeah, I know - design differences etc.)

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Don't you wish they would design machines with bobbin housing and side housing covers that would just click off so you could clean out all the linty stuff and wayward strings without trying to get to a zillion hard to reach screws? Especially those that require the use of that little stubby screw driver? I've been quilting with a Sulky thread that is soooo linty it looks like the foot and shaft on my machine grew a beard!
    they do....alll the pfaff/janome/new home products use the new home 'click off' bobbin housings and one of the reasons i chose new home for my high school graduation present in 1964,,, they've been around a long time and they do work...as more companies have merged, each has picked up this ... along with pfaff's needle threader and walking foot....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mommaB View Post
    I'd like one that somehow has a really slanted bed so I don't have to hunch over, or prop it up!!
    there is an actual table accessory that does this...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texpat45 View Post
    Ditto!! Especially the huge bobbin! I have my grandmother's treadle machine... it used a spool of thread in the bobbin case...wonderful!! Alas, today's spools don't fit...and I'm not about to hand wind thread onto one of those wooden spools!!!
    this is called a serger...lol.... i know they aren't interchangeable but it is one of the things i love about sergers...no bobbins...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
    I wish machine mfgs. would allow us to custom order a machine that just has the things on it that we want. Nothing like paying for a bunch of bells and whistles that I'm never going to use!
    I tried this...when my mom took me shopping for my grad gift, her fancy, 'do everything, lots of cams, lots of built ins' Necchi was only 3 years old and i had sewn on it a lot. i knew i didn't want any of those things...i wanted a really good quality machine with overcast, a zig zag, a hemmer, and not much else. the salesman told me he understood, but that the quality of the machine was what we were paying for and the design cams and their mechanics cost about 10 dollars...but they had to put them in to justify the price of the better quality machine. I'm sure it's different now with the computer machines, but there are good quality machines out there that don't have quite so much 'stuff' on them...look for good quality used machines from the 60s and 70s...anything heavy that has metal inside... you'll get a great deal more for your money than a new inexpensive machine that is all plastic inside...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
    And speaking of bobbins, they ought to get their heads together and use one bobbin size! 4 machines take 4 different bobbins.

(Yeah, I know - design differences etc.)
    i did have to laugh.... 25 machines, maybe 20 bobbin sizes? it's neverending...

Quote Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
    They don't even have to develop a huge bobbin...just make it so you could thread the bottom area of the machine just like you can the top...so you'd just have two spools of thread and not have to even fool with the bobbin!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i purchased the little vacuum attachment kit that is for electronics---works wonderfully to suck out all the stuff in the hard to reach places-
    i think Clotilde's offers it- it's about $14 and well worth the money! you just attach the tool to your vacuum hose and clean that machine right up!
    Thats a great idea - I tried cleaning under the presser foot plate after my Minkee Fiasco with my vac and sucked out the bobbin, which I had neglected to remove, in my zeal to eliminate all Minkee fuzz! I was so cross that I went to locate it in the vac bag where I found TWO of the plastic bobbins, both broken.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I cast my vote on the bobbin. I hate how fast they run out on my quilting machine. Mine is not fancy, but I know I'm lucky to have it and really like it. Main complaint quilting along and figure out, I ran out of bobbin thread at the beginning of the row. Urrrh!
    Country 1

Blog Entries
    Ah, yes. My wish list. The easy access for cleaning, yes, the never ending bobbin, yes.
    A manual that actually tells you the truth about oiling your machine and where to do it. = No, not all "no maintenance" machines live forever without oil.
    And, make the outer shells easier to open like the "old days", instead of impossible to open except for highly paid repair people.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

I put a "handi grip" under the foot control, to stop it from sliding ..I can't imagine why manufacturers haven't added a non slip bottom to these devices.
    I plan on cutting out a pattern from a non slip shelf liner and adhering it to the foot control...nothing ventured nothing gained
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

[QUOTE=pasolovers;4835993]I put a "handi grip" under the foot control, to stop it from sliding ..I can't imagine why manufacturers haven't added a non slip bottom to these devices.
    I plan on cutting out a pattern from a non slip shelf liner and adhering it to the foot control...nothing ventured nothing gained [/QUOTE

I have done this with all my machines, it works. Just make sure not to put the foot control on the floor untill you are sure the glue is dry. Don't ask, not a pretty story! LOL

I wish they would put a needle threader on the machine that actually works! Mine is just an ornament that sometimes works and most times doesn't!

Quote Originally Posted by tjradj View Post
    Ah, yes. My wish list. The easy access for cleaning, yes, the never ending bobbin, yes.
    A manual that actually tells you the truth about oiling your machine and where to do it. = No, not all "no maintenance" machines live forever without oil.
    And, make the outer shells easier to open like the "old days", instead of impossible to open except for highly paid repair people.
    I'm with you tjradj. I would love to clean the innards of my Elna 7300. I know after having and using her for almost 3 years she could use a good cleaning inside. Can't get there. Frustrating.
    Sweet Caroline

Yes, I do. And, I like Rose L's suggestion that the mfgs let us pick our options. You know, just like we can on cars.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast