Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't You Wish Machine Manufacturers Would ... >

Don't You Wish Machine Manufacturers Would ...

Don't You Wish Machine Manufacturers Would ...

Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 PM

And speaking of bobbins, they ought to get their heads together and use one bobbin size! 4 machines take 4 different bobbins.

(Yeah, I know - design differences etc.)
Old 01-02-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Don't you wish they would design machines with bobbin housing and side housing covers that would just click off so you could clean out all the linty stuff and wayward strings without trying to get to a zillion hard to reach screws? Especially those that require the use of that little stubby screw driver? I've been quilting with a Sulky thread that is soooo linty it looks like the foot and shaft on my machine grew a beard!
they do....alll the pfaff/janome/new home products use the new home 'click off' bobbin housings and one of the reasons i chose new home for my high school graduation present in 1964,,, they've been around a long time and they do work...as more companies have merged, each has picked up this ... along with pfaff's needle threader and walking foot....
Old 01-02-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mommaB View Post
I'd like one that somehow has a really slanted bed so I don't have to hunch over, or prop it up!!
there is an actual table accessory that does this...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by texpat45 View Post
Ditto!! Especially the huge bobbin! I have my grandmother's treadle machine... it used a spool of thread in the bobbin case...wonderful!! Alas, today's spools don't fit...and I'm not about to hand wind thread onto one of those wooden spools!!!
this is called a serger...lol.... i know they aren't interchangeable but it is one of the things i love about sergers...no bobbins...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
I wish machine mfgs. would allow us to custom order a machine that just has the things on it that we want. Nothing like paying for a bunch of bells and whistles that I'm never going to use!
I tried this...when my mom took me shopping for my grad gift, her fancy, 'do everything, lots of cams, lots of built ins' Necchi was only 3 years old and i had sewn on it a lot. i knew i didn't want any of those things...i wanted a really good quality machine with overcast, a zig zag, a hemmer, and not much else. the salesman told me he understood, but that the quality of the machine was what we were paying for and the design cams and their mechanics cost about 10 dollars...but they had to put them in to justify the price of the better quality machine. I'm sure it's different now with the computer machines, but there are good quality machines out there that don't have quite so much 'stuff' on them...look for good quality used machines from the 60s and 70s...anything heavy that has metal inside... you'll get a great deal more for your money than a new inexpensive machine that is all plastic inside...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
And speaking of bobbins, they ought to get their heads together and use one bobbin size! 4 machines take 4 different bobbins.

(Yeah, I know - design differences etc.)
i did have to laugh.... 25 machines, maybe 20 bobbin sizes? it's neverending...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Put a light right above the needle, have the biggest harp area possible, make a non skid foot control pedal and develop a huge bobbin.
They don't even have to develop a huge bobbin...just make it so you could thread the bottom area of the machine just like you can the top...so you'd just have two spools of thread and not have to even fool with the bobbin!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i purchased the little vacuum attachment kit that is for electronics---works wonderfully to suck out all the stuff in the hard to reach places-
i think Clotilde's offers it- it's about $14 and well worth the money! you just attach the tool to your vacuum hose and clean that machine right up!
Thats a great idea - I tried cleaning under the presser foot plate after my Minkee Fiasco with my vac and sucked out the bobbin, which I had neglected to remove, in my zeal to eliminate all Minkee fuzz! I was so cross that I went to locate it in the vac bag where I found TWO of the plastic bobbins, both broken.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM

I cast my vote on the bobbin. I hate how fast they run out on my quilting machine. Mine is not fancy, but I know I'm lucky to have it and really like it. Main complaint quilting along and figure out, I ran out of bobbin thread at the beginning of the row. Urrrh!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Ah, yes. My wish list. The easy access for cleaning, yes, the never ending bobbin, yes.
A manual that actually tells you the truth about oiling your machine and where to do it. = No, not all "no maintenance" machines live forever without oil.
And, make the outer shells easier to open like the "old days", instead of impossible to open except for highly paid repair people.