Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Double knit quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/double-knit-quilts-t306767.html)

luvstoquilt 09-08-2019 03:54 AM

A dear friend made me a tablecloth of double knit. She just crocheted an edge around it. That was in the 70’s and it is still beautiful today. I absolutely love it. Washes well, dries perfectly and never needs ironing. Mine is brown with same color crocheted edge. It is especially nice for the Fall.

tranum 09-08-2019 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England (Post 8299098)
Here in the UK double knit is a thickness of knitting yarn. I don’t think you are all talking about knitted or crocheted squares so is this a fabric?

yes, fabric.

annievee 09-08-2019 08:04 AM

Yes, I use my polyester double knit for tablecloths on my craft tables--no wrinkles, no ironing, says nice ! Wide width so just need the length.

leaha 09-08-2019 06:30 PM

I had a friend in Oregon who used to buy polyester pants and cut them in strips to use on her loom to make rugs, they never wear out and wash easy.

Jshep 09-09-2019 05:25 AM

Someone at my quilters group donated several yards of double knit fabric. So I decided to make a quilt with the double knit both for the top and backing. I cut out 840 five inch squares. Wound up with four quilts one of which was a king size. This was in the late fall. Took three of them down to the soup kitchen just before people started arriving and layed them on the sidewalk. I’m hoping they kept some homeless person warm for the winter. I still have the king size

ccthomas 09-09-2019 05:05 PM

I read recently that these 70's double knit quilts are now considered vintage and often are being sold in "antique shops."

ctrysass2012 09-09-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England (Post 8299098)
Here in the UK double knit is a thickness of knitting yarn. I don’t think you are all talking about knitted or crocheted squares so is this a fabric?

1970's & mens leisure suits.;)

Rose Burnett 09-09-2019 07:28 PM

I quilt double knit quilts at two churches for charity or the homeless. At one, we cut 12 inch square blocks, back them with sheets, turn them, top stick the edges, and tie them with yarn. At the other one, we cut 7 inch blocks, back them
with large pieces of double knit, tie them with crochet thread , and bring the backing to the front and stitch it down onto the front. I always make a diagonal design, but others make different patterns. The quilts do not need batting, wash well, and as already said, they are almost indestructible. At the other places where I quilt, we use only 100 percent cotton, which we give to children from neonatal up to 18 years old. We have a running joke that someday
we will run out of double knit! When we get a little low, we always receive a big donation of someone's enormous
stash.

sewbizgirl 09-09-2019 08:36 PM

Double knit fabric grosses me out, I'll be honest. In my opinion it's a shame it never wears out! When I see these at flea markets I don't even want to touch them.

And... isn't it too flammable to be suitable for bedding?

Lee in Richmond 09-10-2019 04:31 AM

I saw some double knits in the Gees Bend quilts. They also used a lot of corduroy, which I think would be a nightmare to work with, just BTW.