Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Double knit quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/double-knit-quilts-t306767.html)

tranum 09-07-2019 12:32 PM

Double knit quilts

In 1972 I made a double knit quilt, no batting just flannel sheet on the back. It’s always been on a spare bed and I embroidered the year in the corner. (I was 25 & double knit was popular for clothes !).

Our church had a donated tub of 5” squares double knit & didn’t really want it. It was taking up space so I took it home & returned with 3 quilts for charity last year. One was King size ! Maybe I got called bad names when they tied it - but double knit is indestructible!

Last day of a church rummage today - half price so I came home with a 3 yard piece of double knit for $1.00. Anybody else made double knit quilts ?

Tartan 09-07-2019 12:52 PM

I made one some 40 odd years ago and still using it. It goes to the cottage each summer and I enjoyed seeing the squares from my sisters and my outfits mom made.

Iceblossom 09-07-2019 01:14 PM

About 20 years ago (before I married my hubby) I used to donate double knits to a group that made quilts for homeless. They are indestructible and dry faster and easier than cotton. The quilts were pretty simple but there was always the need. Fell out of touch with the group and barely see doubleknits in the thrift stores any more either.

wesing 09-07-2019 04:24 PM

My dad's mom had rules about quilts and one of them was cotton only. I'll have to make another post some time about all her rules. My mom's grandmother used what she had, and I have a quilt she made with some double knit that is still going strong. I love the quilt because it reminds me of her. Another benefit to polyester is that it never fades.

pocoellie 09-07-2019 04:36 PM

Yes, I've made several double knit quilts, donated them to the homeless shelter in Fresno. You're right, you can wear them out.

ptquilts 09-07-2019 04:37 PM

We wound up with a bunch of large scraps of double knit, way back in the 1980's. DH sewed it together and made a "quilt" to cover the garden on frosty nights. Worked great, didn't blow around like plastic or sheets, but it did fade. It was just a layer of pieces sewn together. When we moved, I gave it to another gardener, who was happy to get it. It is indestructible.

Irishrose2 09-07-2019 05:58 PM

In the 70s, 2 friends and I made double knit quilts for a local nursing home. the staff loved them because they were easy care and not slippery. I wonder if some still in use.

juliasb 09-07-2019 08:50 PM

I did a charm quilt using double knits back in the early 70's. My sister, who I made it for is still using it. Back then I did not even think that making a "blanket" out of 6" squares was making a quilt. Until you mentioned this I had not even considered myself a quilter until the 80's. I made a couple of baby blankets out of double knits too back in the 70's too. Like you said the double knits are indestructible.

Moira in N.E. England 09-08-2019 12:18 AM

Here in the UK double knit is a thickness of knitting yarn. I don’t think you are all talking about knitted or crocheted squares so is this a fabric?

IrishgalfromNJ 09-08-2019 03:49 AM

My late former MIL used to make string quilts for her grandbabies with double knit scraps she got from the mental hospital sewing room she worked in. You are right, they are indestructable.