Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Double knit quilts

Double knit quilts

In 1972 I made a double knit quilt, no batting just flannel sheet on the back. Itís always been on a spare bed and I embroidered the year in the corner. (I was 25 & double knit was popular for clothes !).

Our church had a donated tub of 5Ē squares double knit & didnít really want it. It was taking up space so I took it home & returned with 3 quilts for charity last year. One was King size ! Maybe I got called bad names when they tied it - but double knit is indestructible!

Last day of a church rummage today - half price so I came home with a 3 yard piece of double knit for $1.00. Anybody else made double knit quilts ?

Power Poster
    I made one some 40 odd years ago and still using it. It goes to the cottage each summer and I enjoyed seeing the squares from my sisters and my outfits mom made.

About 20 years ago (before I married my hubby) I used to donate double knits to a group that made quilts for homeless. They are indestructible and dry faster and easier than cotton. The quilts were pretty simple but there was always the need. Fell out of touch with the group and barely see doubleknits in the thrift stores any more either.

My dad's mom had rules about quilts and one of them was cotton only. I'll have to make another post some time about all her rules. My mom's grandmother used what she had, and I have a quilt she made with some double knit that is still going strong. I love the quilt because it reminds me of her. Another benefit to polyester is that it never fades.

Yes, I've made several double knit quilts, donated them to the homeless shelter in Fresno. You're right, you can wear them out.

We wound up with a bunch of large scraps of double knit, way back in the 1980's. DH sewed it together and made a "quilt" to cover the garden on frosty nights. Worked great, didn't blow around like plastic or sheets, but it did fade. It was just a layer of pieces sewn together. When we moved, I gave it to another gardener, who was happy to get it. It is indestructible.

In the 70s, 2 friends and I made double knit quilts for a local nursing home. the staff loved them because they were easy care and not slippery. I wonder if some still in use.

Blog Entries
    I did a charm quilt using double knits back in the early 70's. My sister, who I made it for is still using it. Back then I did not even think that making a "blanket" out of 6" squares was making a quilt. Until you mentioned this I had not even considered myself a quilter until the 80's. I made a couple of baby blankets out of double knits too back in the 70's too. Like you said the double knits are indestructible.

Here in the UK double knit is a thickness of knitting yarn. I don’t think you are all talking about knitted or crocheted squares so is this a fabric?

My late former MIL used to make string quilts for her grandbabies with double knit scraps she got from the mental hospital sewing room she worked in. You are right, they are indestructable.

Blog Entries
    A dear friend made me a tablecloth of double knit. She just crocheted an edge around it. That was in the 70’s and it is still beautiful today. I absolutely love it. Washes well, dries perfectly and never needs ironing. Mine is brown with same color crocheted edge. It is especially nice for the Fall.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
    Here in the UK double knit is a thickness of knitting yarn. I don’t think you are all talking about knitted or crocheted squares so is this a fabric?
    yes, fabric.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I use my polyester double knit for tablecloths on my craft tables--no wrinkles, no ironing, says nice ! Wide width so just need the length.

Blog Entries
    I had a friend in Oregon who used to buy polyester pants and cut them in strips to use on her loom to make rugs, they never wear out and wash easy.
    dare to dream

Blog Entries
    Someone at my quilters group donated several yards of double knit fabric. So I decided to make a quilt with the double knit both for the top and backing. I cut out 840 five inch squares. Wound up with four quilts one of which was a king size. This was in the late fall. Took three of them down to the soup kitchen just before people started arriving and layed them on the sidewalk. Iím hoping they kept some homeless person warm for the winter. I still have the king size
    Last edited by Jshep; 09-09-2019 at 05:30 AM.

I read recently that these 70's double knit quilts are now considered vintage and often are being sold in "antique shops."
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
    1970's & mens leisure suits.

I quilt double knit quilts at two churches for charity or the homeless. At one, we cut 12 inch square blocks, back them with sheets, turn them, top stick the edges, and tie them with yarn. At the other one, we cut 7 inch blocks, back them
    with large pieces of double knit, tie them with crochet thread , and bring the backing to the front and stitch it down onto the front. I always make a diagonal design, but others make different patterns. The quilts do not need batting, wash well, and as already said, they are almost indestructible. At the other places where I quilt, we use only 100 percent cotton, which we give to children from neonatal up to 18 years old. We have a running joke that someday
    we will run out of double knit! When we get a little low, we always receive a big donation of someone's enormous
    stash.

Double knit fabric grosses me out, I'll be honest. In my opinion it's a shame it never wears out! When I see these at flea markets I don't even want to touch them.

And... isn't it too flammable to be suitable for bedding?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I saw some double knits in the Gees Bend quilts. They also used a lot of corduroy, which I think would be a nightmare to work with, just BTW.

I have used baby wale corduroy in a quilt! It wasn't so bad to work with. I did use 1/2" seams and I was very careful of keeping the nap all the same direction. I put in a pin going from the top down in each piece.

Quilt was made back around 1982?? and was in heavy use for many many cold winters. From 6 corduroys in brown/dark green/gold colors and prints, about 6" squares in a trip around the world setting. I backed it with a chocolate brown satin sheet and tied it. That thing has proved indestructible and the whole thing is in much better shape than you'd ever guess including the poly satin sheet back. Most of the designs have rubbed off the printed pieces.

I didn't know designs would rub off! I have seen an old quilt, however, where the dye-injecting needle holes eventually became actual holes in the quilt -- it looks like a polka dot! This is one nearing 80 years old.

I love double knit quilts. I have a king dk size quilt I bought at a thrift store. Nobody wanted it, it weighs a ton. When the heat goes out this winter, we can just climb under it. They are so warm. I have some blocks I cut up for lap quilts for the nursery homes. Getting to it is another story.